Talisman (Revised 4th Edition)» Forums » Variants

Subject: Quest for the Crown rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Martin Vetter
Denmark
Hilleroed
flag msg tools
I had this great idea that would work perfect to cut down playtime and give players some useful direction in the beginning of the game.

During setup each player recieves 3 warlord quest cards face up. Underneath each of them you place 1 quest reward card facedown. When a player completes one of the startingquest he discards it (does NOT go to the warlord cave) and gets the reward card underneath. It is still posible to visit warlords cave to get 1 additional quest which could grand you a talisman as reward or a random reward card as usual.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Henning Karlsson
Sweden
Ljungby
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
How does that cut down playtime? Besides, it's already an Alternative Ending.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Aaron Tubb
United States
Fuquay Varina
NC
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Cizak wrote:
How does that cut down playtime? Besides, it's already an Alternative Ending.
It would help players get stronger faster. It is not the same as the Warlock's Quests alternate ending, because in that alt. end, your starting quests don't give you anything when you complete them; only completing all three gets you a talisman.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Martin Vetter
Denmark
Hilleroed
flag msg tools
Exactly...the great thing is that you get stuff faster. I also strongly recommend combining this with the progressing leveling cost (3rd strengh cost 3 strengh trophies, 4th cost 4 and so on...)

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Rauli Kettunen
Finland
Oulu
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Aarontu wrote:
It would help players get stronger faster. It is not the same as the Warlock's Quests alternate ending, because in that alt. end, your starting quests don't give you anything when you complete them; only completing all three gets you a talisman.

There is already Sacred Pool which allows you to pick a WQ if you don't have one:

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Martin Vetter
Denmark
Hilleroed
flag msg tools
Yes, but in my variation you cannot take a talisman from the quest you get in the beginning. And you get 3 at one time which makes sure there is always some of them you can complete

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
JC Hendee
United States
Oregon
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I think the "speed up the game" stuff is now reaching for the absurd where Talisman is no long a fantasy game but monopoly with more freebies and a fantasy veneer.

I like the idea of taking a reward to keep with a quest and the reward is built into the quest's end. That's sound other than that the commercial quests aren't really "doing" anything in most all cases. It's certainly a better motif than the teleporting back to W.C. everytime, and of course one could have the reward of a surprise Talisman at the end of a quest with a little customizing. That would be good.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.