Popular Tags: [View All]
Dan Dolan
United States
Highland Lakes
New Jersey
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
Got in my first game of Confusion last night and had a good time.

I was the US, Chris was the godless Commie.

I started out by finding out my "X" piece could move 2 forward and shot out to grab the briefcase. I also found that my units on my right side all seemed to be moving on the diagonal so I moved them to support X.

I was able to discern that X could also slide to the side as well but was unable to move backwards or on a diagonal. This led to X sliding to the left to avoid Chris' people who were trying to capture him.

Unfortunately this was away from his support and X found himself forced to dance around my double agent for protection. Chris was able to find out about the double agent early on. I was never able to get anyone near X to pass the briefcase to.

Eventually Chris was able to get a shot at X and he took him out. He was then able to pass the case back to his rear area on his left.

In the meantime he discovered his "V" unit that moves 4 forward. This was the unit on his extreme left and he was able to streak him to the back rank to get promoted. Now he had great flexibility to move the case and I was scrambling to get people in front of the briefcase but had to be aware of his strong promoted V piece.

He worked the case forward screening it with other pieces not allowing me a shot at it and gradually moved his V back to grab the case. V then moved toward my back rank and I was unable to trap him before he reached the end row.

It was both of our first game and after some initial confusion we rolled along very well. We both discovered there are certain ways to ask if a unit moves that help speed up deduction of it's capabilities. Such as asking if it can move 1 space forward or diagonal before asking of it moves 2 or 3 spaces. This allows you to scratch of any moves of that type if your opponent says "NO".

I can see this game getting played but I can also see it not being for everyone. It is a very intense deduction game that requires patience and planning. We drew quite a crowd and some were totally thrown by the game while others seemed to quickly grasp it and follow along.

CONFUSION is a very good game that requires both logic and tactical planning. One must balance the need for knowledge with the need to accomplish the mission. Sometimes they are not the same thing. You want to find out everything but if your opponent is moving the briefcase you must react as best you can with what you have. It can be quite frustrating when you try to move a piece and get told you can't. This doesn't even take into account the double agent which causes you to doubt everything your opponent tells you.

I give this game a solid 8 that might go up if I can find opponents on a regular basis. It is a very good, fun game if you are looking for a game that will make you think.

On another note I had great customer service from Stephen at Stronghold Games in coordinating delivery with my return from vacation. He was great to deal with.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.