11 Posts

Carcassonne» Forums » General

Subject: New online Carcassone website in progress. Help wanted rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Ginger Genius
msg tools
Hey guys,
I've been searching for online Carcassonne, found several websites, but none of them was really pleasant place to stay. They're just ancient. So i decided to make my own. It will be really interactive and usable.

I'm here not to show off. Months of hard work are ahead.
I need some help with graphics: meeple pics. meeple Those which will stand on a tiles. I use 100*100 px tile pics (If anyone can provide better ones, please do), so meeples should match that size. Standing meeple and lying one for a farmer. One color is enough, i'll make the others.

I really hope for your help. I want to give you a chance to enjoy your game.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
col_w
United Kingdom
Poole
Dorset
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Do you have permission from the creators for this?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
E D
United States
wilton
New York
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
sounds great, look forward to it! do you have permission from your mother and every user who has a big mouth avatar?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ginger Genius
msg tools
Actually I haven't asked Hans im Gluck for any permissions, and I'm confused whether I should do it. I'm making the game just to enjoy it and play with my friends, I'm not planning to make any money using it.

If I contact the publisher, won't they refuse or ask me for money or bring an action on me?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
col_w
United Kingdom
Poole
Dorset
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I don't don't know every last detail of copyright law, but I think whether you make any money or not is immaterial. If you're making a playable online version that potentially means lost sales for the creators (for the physical version or the official online version), so I'd imagine they wouldn't take kindly to it.

If I were you I would ask - it's the polite thing to do, and the right thing to do. Better that than steaming ahead only to get a cease and desist, or worse sued.

I've seen at least one version that seems to have got round the copyright by not using any original imagery and creating their own instead. But even then it may be on shaky ground. There is also a version on BSW that does use original graphics - I presume this has the blessing of the creators.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ginger Genius
msg tools
Is there an official online version? I have found several ones, but none of them seemed official.
I'm trying to combine the best from all the game interfaces I've came across. Currently the best is iPhone and iPad version. Any suggestions?

By the way, how do I add links to those online versions here?
http://boardgamegeek.com/boardgame/822/carcassonne#moreinfo

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
col_w
United Kingdom
Poole
Dorset
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
There is an official Xbox Live version. Not sure if the BSW version is offical, but I presume it is.

You can add links to online versions by either editing the section you linked to - it's a wiki, click the edit link at the top left of the section - or going to the 'Web links' section on the same page and clicking 'Add Link' (check first that whether the links are already present, there are 12 pages of them).
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ginger Genius
msg tools
Hi folks,

I have sad news for you. I mailed Hans-im-Gluck, german publisher of Carcassonne, asking if I can use original graphics and concept. They answered as soon as after 3 days. Quoting:

thank you for your e-mail. After we have contracts for online gaming for Carcassonne with other partners we cannot permit you to use the original graphics and the concept.

So, what do you think?
I mailed also Rio Grande Games, the english publisher. They haven't replied yet. I hope you wish a positive response as much as I do...

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris Korfmann
United States
Wilson
North Carolina
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I know that Aso brain had some issues with the one they did and they had graphics that they created themselfs that were not original. It's tricky.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ginger Genius
msg tools
Okay. I got a reply that I am allowed to use graphics and concept without making money of them Working hard. Hope soon it will be ready for players

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
col_w
United Kingdom
Poole
Dorset
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
That's good news! Looking forward to seeing what you come up with.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.