Popular Tags: [View All]
Gerald Katz
United States
New York
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
TOADY All/Expert

Helps Another To A Shared Win

You have the power to kowtow. As soon as you get this power, you announce another player to be your "lord". When your lord is main player, you may ally with him without being invited but may not voluntarily ally against him. Also, before encounter cards are played, you may show your lord any of your cards. He may take them as a group if he wants. As offensive player, if you pick your lord's color in destiny, you attack a different player in his system if able; otherwise, flip destiny again.

If your lord wins the game, use this power to win as well. You may win the game by normal means.

HISTORY: The Toady recognize that they lack the skills to make excellent leaders. However, they know how to placate the most irritable of people. While anyone would welcome such willing servants, they soon find it bittersweet when they realize they have no choice but to share their authority.

FLARE

Resolution
Wild: As main player, if your losing the encounter results in another player winning the game, you share the win.

Regroup
Super: You may change lords. Announce the new lord to all players.

Commentary: This is a rules power from the Encounter magazine issue that came with my Mayfair set. It is also in Matt Stone's set. My version is of a significant difference. I don't recall if it's in the Encounter magazine version, but in Matt Stone's version when Toady offers cards from his hand to his lord, the lord must take them. Because of this Toady becomes a sinister power because he can dump all of his poor cards onto his lord, who then almost always has a crappy hand. Toady would try to win on his own.

However, for my set, I want Toady to remain in the spirit of what a toady is, a suck-up. As such, Toady's lord is not harmed by being the lord. If the lord really doesn't mind sharing the win, then he can milk Toady all he wants. If the lord really wants a single win, he has to be mindful to what Toady does and/or save that Cosmic Zap.

In any case, Toady can win the game alone if the player acquires 5 foreign colonies himself and his lord does not. Also, keep in mind that Toady and his lord can become main players against each other when the lord flips Toady's color in destiny. In such a case, the burden of how to play the encounter falls upon Toady. The lord can try to win as normal without care. For Toady, if he wins, it can help him win the game alone, but his lord is harmed, thus Toady harms his second chance of winning the game. If Toady loses, it helps his lord and thus Toady in his second chance to win, but Toady has to be careful. Nothing would please the lord more than for Toady to have helped him throughout the game, only for Toady to then lose his power due to lack of home colonies.

Gerald Katz
Don't forget to tip the Butler!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mi Myma
United States
Fountain Valley
California
flag msg tools
Why is there no Word Games Forum or Subdomain?
badge
There should be a Word Games Subdomain, or at least a Word Games Forum!
mbmbmbmbmb
I notice also, that the way you've written it, the only use of the power is in claiming the shared win. IOW, that's the only time Toady can be zapped. This may be a bit of a problem in that he may be helping his lord to the win the whole game, only to be zapped and lose - so his whole power was useless.

Notice that this is not the case for other alternate-win aliens. Zapping the Masochist or Sadist simply blocks the win for one encounter (after which, they may no longer satisfy their conditions), after which, they still have a chance of winning. But for Toady, his conditions specify that someone else win - so the game is over and Toady has no chance to try to claim the win again.

Notice that Genius and Tick-Tock's win conditions are not uses and therefore are not zappable.

It might be better to let all the rest of Toady's power (allying, offering cards, redrawing destiny, etc.) to be the uses of the power, and let the win be a non-use, which can't be zapped. Maybe. Just a thought.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Gerald Katz
United States
New York
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I noticed. My problem was that before Fantasy Flight Toady could be zapped at any time, including to prevent sharing the win. I wasn't bothered by that, but converting to Fantasy Flight required a specific declaration. Maybe it is too harsh on Toady to have his shared win zappable. Perhaps if I force the lord to accept Toady's card offer as in Matt Stone's set as a zappable use, along with the rest, then the shared win need not be zappable. At the time I adopted the power I didn't want Toady to be so sinister, but now I'm more open to the idea.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Just a Bill
United States
Norfolk
Virginia
flag msg tools
designer
badge
No, I said "oh, brother," not "go hover."
mbmbmbmbmb
FWIW, here's how I implemented it for my FFG set:

Game Setup: Announce one other player who will be your "master."

You have the power to Kowtow. When your master is a main player, you may not voluntarily ally with his or her opponent, but you may use this power to ally with your master even if you were not invited. If you do so, before encounter cards are selected, you may show any or all of the cards in your hand to your master, who may take all or none of the shown cards.

As the offense, if the destiny draw indicates your master, you must encounter a different opponent's colony in that system. If you cannot, draw destiny again.

If your master wins the game, you join the win.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jon Gon
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
This is a brilliant power that I would really like to see in a future expansion set. Here are a couple of suggested improvements:

* Given the presence of Genius in the FFG set it is prudent to establish a limit for the number of cards that the master may take, for example:

"…If you do so, before encounter cards are selected, you may show up to three of the cards in your hand to your master, who may take all or none of the shown cards."

While this somewhat limits Toady it prevents collusion with Genius to obtain a cheesy shared win.

* Regarding the Super, I think that Toady should only be able to change lords/masters at the start of his turn. Otherwise, obtaining the shared win becomes too easy.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Just a Bill
United States
Norfolk
Virginia
flag msg tools
designer
badge
No, I said "oh, brother," not "go hover."
mbmbmbmbmb
Jon Gon wrote:
"…If you do so, before encounter cards are selected, you may show up to three of the cards in your hand to your master, who may take all or none of the shown cards."

While this somewhat limits Toady it prevents collusion with Genius to obtain a cheesy shared win.

Good catch; I'm stealing your suggestion.

Jon Gon wrote:
* Regarding the Super, I think that Toady should only be able to change lords/masters at the start of his turn. Otherwise, obtaining the shared win becomes too easy.

Agreed, that's how my version of the Super works.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Gerald Katz
United States
New York
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Jon Gon wrote:
This is a brilliant power that I would really like to see in a future expansion set. Here are a couple of suggested improvements:

* Given the presence of Genius in the FFG set it is prudent to establish a limit for the number of cards that the master may take, for example:

Okeydokey. I'm making the changes.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.