Popular Tags: [View All]
A.T. Selvaggio
United States
Webster
New York
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Got this game ready to go. Any recommendations from experienced players regarding the best rule set to use? Basic? Some optional rules (which ones)? All optional rules?

Also, anyone here play the DDay or other Smithsonian games in this series? Any of them recommended? Good for solo?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Michael Wheet
United States
Rochester
NH
flag msg tools
badge
mbmb
If I'm introducing a new wargamer to hex and chit wargames, I'll start with the basic rules. Other than those times, I always play using the optional rules from THE GENERAL, Vol. 29, No. 4, also found here: http://underworld.fortunecity.com/descent/738/gettyopt/getty...

I also own Battle of the Bulge, Mustangs, and D-Day. I've only read the rules for each of those, I haven't got them to the table yet. From the rules, and from other people's opinions it seems Battle of the Bulge would be the only really suitable title for solo play.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
A.T. Selvaggio
United States
Webster
New York
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Thanks Mike. I will check out those optional rules.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
donald rhyne
United States
columbia
Illinois
flag msg tools
just got back from gettysburg , antietam,chancellersville battlefields .Love to play gettysburg 88 myself.Have played someone twice.Have all the smithsonian editions stored .Im very into civil war history here in st.louis,mo.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jeff Smith
United States
Bel Air
Maryland
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I'm a year late but I'll give my opinion anyway. I would at least use the no-stacking optional rule. This adds no additional difficulty but dramatically improves the realism of the game and leads to a more historical flavor. Instead of "killer stacks" roaming the board you will try to create a strong line of defense or try to outflank/break-through that line of defense.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jack Tremble
United States
Broken Arrow
Oklahoma
flag msg tools
mbmb
No stacking for improveing the realism of the game seems very reasonable, I'll give it a try ! Thanks
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.