Popular Tags: [View All]
Tim
United States
Frederick
Maryland
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Now that I have your attention, I would like to preach to you about the joys of clipping counters. I know that there have been other disucssions on the topic but here is my testimonial. Although not a "rabid" wargamer I do enjoy them, especially learning the historical aspect of the battle. This is why I enjoy especially the ancient battles. Anyway, while playing Agincourt, the map got extremely crowded with all of the melee battles, deaths, and fugitives. Counters were hard to keep in place, especially in a game such as this where "facing" is important. Having read some other posts on counter clipping, I decided to try it out on this game since there were relatively few counters to clip. So, I took out my exacto knife and started clipping. First, I was surprised how quickly I could actually clip all of the counters. Second, I was amazed how well the counters "fit" on the mapboard now. I then proceeded to clip another counter set for Drive on Washington, which I want to play next. I had played this game a few months back and one of my complaints would be that the mapboard gets extremely crowded in relatively small areas. Now, I look forward to playing it again without that problem.

So, to all of you who were like me and on the fence about clipping, I would say "go for it...you will not be disappointed." I can't say for those games that have almost 1000 counters but it is definitely worth the time for those that I do have.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Enrico Viglino
United States
Eugene
OR
flag msg tools
Slowed - BGG's moderation policies have driven me partially from here
badge
http://thegamebox.byethost15.com/smf/
mb
More counters - more worth it.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Michael Dorosh
Canada
Calgary
Alberta
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
badge
Tactical Wargamer's Journal
mbmbmbmbmb
usrlocal wrote:
Pictures or it didn't happen.

No, please, I insist. YouTube video of every counter being clipped so we can all join in the fun. And for heaven's sake, be sure to editorialize the proceedings with plenty of "umms" and "ahhs" and do not under any circumstances write a script or prepare any commentary beforehand.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Enrico Viglino
United States
Eugene
OR
flag msg tools
badge
mb
I've been considering doing just such a thing. :D
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tim
United States
Frederick
Maryland
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
usrlocal wrote:

Ask and ye shall receive....

(Note a couple of the clippings that I found and included for the picture )

Sorry, no YouTube video, that would be scripting at this point....

(edit for photo size)
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Steve Arthur
Australia
New South Wales
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
It's enough of a chore punching and trimming the counters without clipping the buggers as well!...for this reason I prefer NOT to buy unpunched second hand games...if they're clipped great but I'M not going to do it...

Confession:I did clip once when the copy of Road to the Rhine I bought off Ebay had had it's counters ripped (not cut) from the trees but the game was so cheap it was worth it...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Enrico Viglino
United States
Eugene
OR
flag msg tools
badge
mb
Atraxrobustus wrote:
It's enough of a chore punching and trimming the counters without clipping the buggers as well!

I never trimmed before I clipped. Not sure what it involves
if it's much less effort than clipping.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Steve Arthur
Australia
New South Wales
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
usrlocal wrote:
Atraxrobustus wrote:
It's enough of a chore punching and trimming the counters without clipping the buggers as well!...for this reason I prefer NOT to buy unpunched second hand games...if they're clipped great but I'M not going to do it...

Confession:I did clip once when the copy of Road to the Rhine I bought off Ebay had had it's counters ripped (not cut) from the trees but the game was so cheap it was worth it...

I myself rip from the trees. But after decades of experience I know how to apply just the right amount of force at just the right angle to not even get corner nubs.

Yes, my counter-fu is strong.

This wonderous mystic power cannot have been obtained any other way than by unnatural 'Faustian' means...been down to the 'crossroads' lately?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Steve Arthur
Australia
New South Wales
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
calandale wrote:
Atraxrobustus wrote:
It's enough of a chore punching and trimming the counters without clipping the buggers as well!

I have a small pair of VERY sharp scissors that I use to seperate counter from tree...trimming of small imperfections is rarely necessary after the first cut...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Enrico Viglino
United States
Eugene
OR
flag msg tools
badge
mb
Atraxrobustus wrote:
calandale wrote:
Atraxrobustus wrote:

I have a small pair of VERY sharp scissors that I use to seperate counter from tree...trimming of small imperfections is rarely necessary after the first cut...

Ah. That's probably at least as much effort then.
Maybe better results too.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Robert Ridgeway
United States
Greenville
South Carolina
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
Phytoman wrote:
usrlocal wrote:

Ask and ye shall receive....

Clipped counters are less likely to develop HIV.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
J.L. Robert
United States
Sherman Oaks
California
flag msg tools
designer
badge
Follow me for wargames!
mbmbmbmbmb

Who ARE you?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Hunga Dunga
Canada
Coquitlam
British Columbia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Phytoman wrote:

SMOOOOOTH!!!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Hunga Dunga
Canada
Coquitlam
British Columbia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
“Hello, ladies, look at your man, now back to me, now back at your man, now back to me. Sadly, he isn’t me, but if he stopped using unclipped counters and switched to clipped counters, he could smell like he’s me. Look down, back up, where are you? You’re playing A Victory Lost with the man your man could smell like. What’s in your hand, back at me. I have it, it’s a monster game with two mini-scenarios about that thing you love. Look again, the counters are now blocks. Anything is possible when your man smells like a counter-clipper. I’m playing La Bataille de Lutzen."

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Robert Ridgeway
United States
Greenville
South Carolina
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
Hungadunga wrote:
“Hello, ladies, look at your man, now back to me, now back at your man, now back to me. Sadly, he isn’t me, but if he stopped using unclipped counters and switched to clipped counters, he could smell like he’s me. Look down, back up, where are you? You’re playing A Victory Lost with the man your man could smell like. What’s in your hand, back at me. I have it, it’s a monster game with two mini-scenarios about that thing you love. Look again, the counters are now blocks. Anything is possible when your man smells like a counter-clipper. I’m playing La Bataille de Lutzen."

Yeah, I tried that...

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Robert Ridgeway
United States
Greenville
South Carolina
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
usrlocal wrote:
I myself rip from the trees. But after decades of experience I know how to apply just the right amount of force at just the right angle to not even get corner nubs.

Yes, my counter-fu is strong.

And for the Non-Clipped gamer, "Counter Condoms" ~ coming soon!*

*oh you know they'll be a hit in Japan:

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Genghis Ahn
United States
San Clemente
California
flag msg tools
Sometimes You Are Wrong !
badge
Coolest Promo Ever ! Stonewall Lives
mbmbmbmbmb
NOOOOOOO !!!! I HATE you !!!!!

While subbornly REFUSING to clip my counters but ohhhing and ahhing at all my friends games.......
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
M@tthijs
Netherlands
Venlo
flag msg tools
This user is outstanding in mediocre videogaming
badge
Did you visit my www.kobudovenlo.nl? It has game info
mbmbmbmbmb
Phytoman wrote:
Now that's hardcore step reduction.
Is that two platoons I see in 1326?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
♬♪♪ ♫ ♩ ♫♫♪ ♩♬♪ ♫
Australia
MURRUMBEENA
Victoria
flag msg tools
badge
All reality is a game. Physics at its most fundamental, the very fabric of our universe, results directly from the interaction of certain fairly simple rules, and chance... (Iain Banks)
mbmbmbmbmb
Phytoman wrote:
I would like to preach to you about the joys of clipping counters...
vs
Phytoman wrote:
Although not a "rabid" wargamer...

DOES NOT COMPUTE!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Marc Mistiaen
Belgium
Brussels
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I'm not a wargamer so obviously I'm not in the know. That said, could you explain how clipping counters (removing a very small part of it) can actually reduce the clutter on the board in any significant amount?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Robert Ridgeway
United States
Greenville
South Carolina
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
Corwin1980 wrote:
I'm not a wargamer so obviously I'm not in the know. That said, could you explain how clipping counters (removing a very small part of it) can actually reduce the clutter on the board in any significant amount?

It's an OCD/AR thang ~ you wouldn't understand.*

*FYI: that's a play on an early '90s U.S. pop-subcultural T-shirt phenomenon (be GLAD if you DON'T understand it!)
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Robert Ridgeway
United States
Greenville
South Carolina
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
usrlocal wrote:
The clippers are too busy clipping to actually play the game.
*rimshot* We're here all week folks. Try the veal!

Miniature wargamers solve that conundrum with insomnia-pumped-up-will-power!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
mario p.
Italy
Venice - Treviso
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
ok guys, don't get me wrong, but you're all kidding, starting from the OP, aren't you?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tim
United States
Frederick
Maryland
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Ozludo wrote:
Phytoman wrote:
I would like to preach to you about the joys of clipping counters...
vs
Phytoman wrote:
Although not a "rabid" wargamer...

DOES NOT COMPUTE!

You are right, I guess now after clipping I might have to reclassify myself as "semi-rabid" since I have not graduated onto the "monster" games (you know which ones I mean,,..)...yet.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tim
United States
Frederick
Maryland
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Corwin1980 wrote:

That is exactly how I felt until I started to play even what I would call the "simpler" wargames. The edges of the counters do intrude into the adjacent hexes and if you have a lot of counters that are next to one another, those counters can get easily displayed. Also, when moving the counters it is easier to actually get a hold of the counter you want rather than hitting the one beside it and setting off a chain reaction that then ends up disturbing the whole section. That can be very frustrating, which in the end, forced me to try clipping.

And now you know the rest of the story.... (I put that in there for all of you old Paul Harvey fans).
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
1 , 2  Next »   | 
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.