John McLintock
Scotland
Glasgow
Lanarkshire
flag msg tools
badge
"Roll dice and kick ass!"
mbmbmbmbmb
Playing a game as the US last night, my headline card was Central America scoring, my opponent's was "Lone Gunman". I revealed my hand but I didn't reveal my headline card. My rationale for this was that the card was no longer in my hand. The only relevant rules text I could find was:
Quote:
C. Headline Phase: Each player secretly selects a card from their hand. Once both players have made their choice, they reveal their cards to each other simultaneously.

This leaves the question open really. My opponent- an experienced cardplayer, accepted my argument; I admitted that my call was sneaky, but fair; and we moved on. Looking back as I write this, I realise that one strong point in favour of my argument is the fact that a headline card isn't in a player's hand for the purpose of selecting/drawing a card or cards to satisfy events, so why should it count as being in hand for any other purposes? This is elementary cardplay logic it seems to me.

What do other people think?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Karl Hiesterman
United States
Aurora
Colorado
flag msg tools
designer
I wish to kill you, be at rest as to that, but to kill you quietly in a snug, remote place, where you will not be able to boast of your death to anybody
badge
Caught trouser-free in open country...
mbmbmbmbmb
I'm confused; both headline cards are revealed at the same time. You reveal the Scoring card and he reveals the Lone Gunman. Then the Lone Gunman effect occurs, then you Score (since a Scoring card is considered to have an Ops value of 0 for determining timing of Headlines). So there is nothing for you to hide, is there?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jacovis
United States
Las Vegas
Nevada
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Yep Karl has it John! The revealing is simultaneous. Although I'd be mighty suspicious of people claiming there's a lone gunman.. they always come in pairs ninja

Jacovis
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Daniel Corban
Canada
Newmarket
Ontario
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
It is rather strange that you posted the answer to your question directly in your original post! (the quoted rules text)
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
John McLintock
Scotland
Glasgow
Lanarkshire
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Argh! Stupid me. That's a mistake we've been making quite regularly in our games so far, now that I think about it. Ah well, I got the "Lone Gunman" card wrong- leaving my hand revealed for the whole turn, so I guess that evened things out. Thanks Karl. shake
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
John McLintock
Scotland
Glasgow
Lanarkshire
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
dcorban wrote:
It is rather strange that you posted the answer to your question directly in your original post! (the quoted rules text)

Lone gunmen breed paranoia and paranoia breeds confusion. whistle
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Evgeny Reznikov
Israel
Haifa
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
Confusion breeds fear, fear breeds anger, and so on and so forth gulp
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Michael
United States
Harrisonburg
Virginia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
JMcL63 wrote:
Argh! Stupid me. That's a mistake we've been making quite regularly in our games so far, now that I think about it. Ah well, I got the "Lone Gunman" card wrong- leaving my hand revealed for the whole turn, so I guess that evened things out. Thanks Karl. shake

We play it that you do keep your cards revealed the entire turn. otherwise you will just slow things down or force your opponent to take notes before you unreveal your cards.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
John McLintock
Scotland
Glasgow
Lanarkshire
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Cathan wrote:
JMcL63 wrote:

We play it that you do keep your cards revealed the entire turn. otherwise you will just slow things down or force your opponent to take notes before you unreveal your cards.

But that's not how the card works Michael. From the FAQ:
Quote:
Q. Does the US hand remained revealed for the entire turn?
A. The effect of the card is not ongoing. The US only needs to reveal his hand at the time the ‘Lone Gunman’ card is played.

Turning this card into 'Aldrich Ames' is too much. If you want to make it easy on the USSR player (and I do agree that the US player should do more than just flash their cards at the USSR player), I'd suggest the cards are laid out until the USSR player conducts their Op. Also: I think it's fair that the USSR player has to work from memory when enjoying the benefit of this event.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Evgeny Reznikov
Israel
Haifa
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
JMcL63 wrote:
Cathan wrote:
JMcL63 wrote:

Quote:
A. The effect of the card is not ongoing. The US only needs to reveal his hand at the time the ‘Lone Gunman’ card is played.

Turning this card into 'Aldrich Ames' is too much. If you want to make it easy on the USSR player (and I do agree that the US player should do more than just flash their cards at the USSR player), I'd suggest the cards are laid out until the USSR player conducts their Op. Also: I think it's fair that the USSR player has to work from memory when enjoying the benefit of this event.

I think that the above means that if the US gains new cards (through Ask Not) they are not revealed.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
John McLintock
Scotland
Glasgow
Lanarkshire
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I think you are right Evgeny.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Michael
United States
Harrisonburg
Virginia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
JMcL63 wrote:

Quote:

Yep. I get that. Card also doesn't say you can't write down notes. So instead of making it a pure memory exercise we play both Lone Gunman and CIA with the cards exposed. Works for my regular gaming partners and it's how it works out when playing Vassal, but I get it's not for everyone.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Michael Kiefte
Canada
Dartmouth
Nova Scotia
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Cathan wrote:
and it's how it works out when playing Vassal, but I get it's not for everyone.

Really? That wasn't the intention. Your view of the American hand should stop as soon as the round advances. Last I checked, that's how it works.

However, what you could do is get a quick screenshot of the hand. I've never had to do that myself. You just look at the hand and scan for important cards. It's usually not that hard. I've never memorized all of them.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Michael
United States
Harrisonburg
Virginia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
VASSAL+PBEM+possibly ACTS = record of what transpires. Easy enough to see, look at and refer to at any point. And very helpful when it may take a week or two to play a turn. Don't know about y'all, but I can't remember what I saw in a particular game (I usually have a few going on at once) after a few days have passed. And so again, just sharing how we approach it. /shrug

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Alex delenca
United States
Connecticut
flag msg tools

My memory ain't what it used to be. A pocket camera comes in handy here... :-)

Actually, my brother and I took pictures of a game in progress the first time we played - to finish later.... Actually, that reminds me - we never finished!! Need to dig out those pictures. Now, what were we talking about again? :-)

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.