Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Eric Ruhland
Canada
Ottawa
Ontario
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I want to be able to play this game with 2 players (and 3) but I am not sure I want to manage 2 kingdoms with two seperate incomes and hands. I am going to try it out with 2 players each controling 1 faction. Expanding into the unoccupied "neutral" terretories will still gain you income but VPs will still only be earned for conquering one of you opponent's starting terretories. We may start by randomly choosing factions.
Any thoughts on this idea. I hope to try it out some time this week so I'll let you know.
Unfortunately it won't work for 3 players since 1 player will always start squeezed between the other two.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kiren Maelwulf
Canada
Richmond
BC
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Why not just play it like it currently works 1 vs 1 (so use 2 colored armies each) BUT only use one event deck each and play like each side is a single faction for all purposes. That should simplify things abit for you.

For three players though I just don't think the game will work with 3 player FFA. I suppose you could make one player play with 2 factions and one event deck like I suggested for 1 vs 1 and then balance it out by starting the other two players with a larger opening hand, maybe 5-7ish cards? Or let them draw 2 cards per turn instead of one.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Eric Ruhland
Canada
Ottawa
Ontario
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Kirenx wrote:
Why not just play it like it currently works 1 vs 1 (so use 2 colored armies each) BUT only use one event deck each and play like each side is a single faction for all purposes. That should simplify things abit for you.

Also a great idea. It might work well as well. I like the idea of having different start positions relative to the opponent though, and the opportunity to spread out quickly and amass more wealth early for bigger battles. I would agree that having access to the extra army pieces is a must in this situation though.

Kirenx wrote:
For three players though I just don't think the game will work with 3 player FFA. I suppose you could make one player play with 2 factions and one event deck like I suggested for 1 vs 1 and then balance it out by starting the other two players with a larger opening hand, maybe 5-7ish cards? Or let them draw 2 cards per turn instead of one.

Unfortunately I just don't think there is a good option for a 3 player game here unless you want to do the suggested alliance game. I wish they would have printed the map 2 sided with a good 3 player option on the other side.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Greg
United States
Lowell
Indiana
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Hmm...I was thinking about getting this game. I saw that it says that 2-4 players can play it so I thought it might be somewhat versatile. But from the comments I've read above, it sounds like it's kind of a pain to play with less than 4 people.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Eric Ruhland
Canada
Ottawa
Ontario
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I played a 2 player game yesterday evening and had a blast. If you've ever played Axis and Allies or any of the other Game Master series games this is built on the same engine and plays very similarly. If you are playing with less than 4 players it just means that some people will have to manage 2 factions which makes it a little fiddly but we still had a lot of fun with it.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Greg
United States
Lowell
Indiana
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Thanks Eirikr.

The thing is that I would mostly be playing it with 2 player. Though I would want to be able to bring it to game night with my gaming group where anywhere from 6-25 can show up and if there are only 3 of us open to play this while others are playing other games, I didn't want something that was that fiddly and having to either customize the deck or someone having to control 2 factions. I'd likely have to be teaching the game to different people at different game nights and if it's too much of a hassle, then it might not be for me. I've never played Axis and Allies, so I'm not familiar with that system. This might be a great game, but I'm just trying to make sure that with my next purchase I can get the most bang for my buck with a game that scales well and is pretty versatile.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Eric Ruhland
Canada
Ottawa
Ontario
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Well this might not be the game for you then but if you get a chance to try it out you might change your mind. I do say that my one complaint with this game is that they didn't make the map double sided with the other side set up for 3 players. I haven't tried the 3 player option but with one player essentially getting twice as much play time as the other two it just doesn't sit right.
All that being said it is not that complex of a game and really is easy to teach and sit down and play once you know the game well yourself. If you find yourself with 4 players you're on the money. If you find yourself with only 3 then hopefully one of the other guys brought Nexus Ops
Have fun.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Greg
United States
Lowell
Indiana
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Thanks again Eirikr. I'll keep it in the back of my mind as far as a possibility down the road. It does seem fun, but at the moment, I'm looking for something more versatile for what I need.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kiren Maelwulf
Canada
Richmond
BC
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
In talking about having to control 2 factions. With the figures, they are all the same so nothing extra to keep track of than you would have to playing a single faction. With the turns, you alternate your teams turns so its like any other 2 player game were you play a turn then your opponent plays a turn simply you move the faction you didn't move last. As for the cards, aside from drawing 2 cards on your first turn you only draw a single card each turn after and some of them are played as soon as you draw them. All in all there is not that much more to manage and deal with in the two player game out of the box than playing with a single faction.

I can see why they didn't make a 3 player map for this game, with the setup being so important it would have been very difficult to make a single 3 player maps that works with all 4 factions. As is though 3 player is probably the games weakest player amount. Still if you have players that can seem to get past playing multiple factions it would probably work out fine placing them in the 2 player team. At least there is a 3 player option anyways.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.