Subject: Stupid wounds question rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Karl von Laudermann
United States
Unspecified
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
I just bought this game, and read the rules; I have not yet tried to play it.

Unless I'm missing something, I can't find a rule anywhere that says that a troop dies when it gains enough wound tokens to bring the total up to the number of its wound points. I assume they do, since all games that have "hit points" of some kind work the same way. But if this is the case, then what's the difference between a troop with 1 wound point, and a troop with 0 wound points? They would both die in one hit, correct?

Is the only reason some troops have 0 wound points because of the rule that a unit must have at least one troop with wound points? Or is it the case that a troop dies if it has wound tokens equal to its wound points, and then takes another wound (i.e. a troop with 1 wound point dies when it takes 2 wounds)?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
László Horváth
Hungary
Veszprém
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Rulebook page 16:

"For each hit received, the player can eliminate one
of his Troops, or place a Wound Token on a Troop
with more than 1 Wound Point."

I'm not sure about 0 wound point troops. Do they exist?

I'm guessing that they cannot be destroyed this way (with "hits"), but have to be part of a unit with at least one wound point alltogether. Then, if there are no more wound points for the unit, the remainng troops in the unit are destroyed.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Karl von Laudermann
United States
Unspecified
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
sdiberar wrote:
Wounds are handled at the unit level, not the troop level. Think of three 1-hit troop tiles in a unit as a 3-hit unit. If a unit has no hits left, it is removed, so a unit with only 0-hit troops remaining is removed.

Well, wounds are certainly assigned at the troop level, since the rule that horlaci quoted says so, plus there is a rule on page 7 that says you can sacrifice wounded troops at the end of a Battle Round to gain back their Wound Tokens.

By your explanation, if a unit with 3 1-wound troops takes 2 hits, you would just put 2 wound tokens on the unit, and eliminate no troops, correct? The rules don't seem to support this.

It's just bizarre that the rules make no mention of how troops/units get eliminated as a result of wound tokens; it only states that troops can be sacrificed instead of putting a wound token on a troop that has "more than 1 Wound Point". The more I think about it, the more I'm convinced that this is not an oversight. Perhaps troops/units are never killed via wound tokens; you simply must choose to sacrifice a troop if you don't have any troops that can take a wound token in that unit? The example at the very bottom of page 16 seems to support this. In which case, in my example in the previous paragraph, you must handle the 2 hits by sacrificing 2 troops, leaving 1 troop. Based on the rules as written, this seems like the correct interpretation.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Karl von Laudermann
United States
Unspecified
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
horlaci wrote:
I'm not sure about 0 wound point troops. Do they exist?

Looking through all of the troops in the game, I now see that there's only 1 such troop, so it looks like this won't actually come up much in play.

Quote:
I'm guessing that they cannot be destroyed this way (with "hits"), but have to be part of a unit with at least one wound point alltogether. Then, if there are no more wound points for the unit, the remainng troops in the unit are destroyed.

At first I wasn't inclined to accept this, since the rules don't mention such a thing, but it probably makes sense, especially since the 0-wound troop has no dice, and thus can't actually do anything on its own.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Scott Muldoon (silentdibs)
United States
Astoria
New York
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I've deleted my previous reply, which was unintentionally misleading. 0-hit troops aren't assigned wounds and are killed when no other troops are in the unit.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
László Horváth
Hungary
Veszprém
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Reading the rules word by word, I understand Your point Karl. It is not explicitly stated, that if (Wound Points == (Wound tokens + hits)), then the troop is destroyed.

For sure, the wound is applied troop-by-troop, not for the unit.

How I like to interpret the original question is: Wound Points for a troop are not the constant number of blood-drop icons on the card.
Rather Wound Points = blod drops - Wound tokens.

This way, if You have e.g. a 2 blood-drop troop (2 wound points at the beginning) then You can choose from the above mentioned options. (destroy or place a wound token). With the next hit though, it has only 1 wound point left, so the second part of the option is not available, meaning You have to destroy it.

I'm not completely sure if the changing values of the wound points messes up something else in the rules. I couldn't find anything that explicitly specifies wound points. (just a picture).

But I think we are over-engineering this a bit. The intention is clear, if the troop gets at least as many hits as it has blood-drops, it is destroyed.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Karl von Laudermann
United States
Unspecified
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
Thank you both for your replies. I have started reading other forum threads as well, both for this game and for Pocket Battles: Celts vs. Romans, and it turns out that my questions have already been answered. blush Next time I won't be so hasty in asking questions before doing my research, but at least I now understand the game much better.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.