Recommend
9 
 Thumb up
 Hide
21 Posts

BoardGameGeek» Forums » Game Groups » New Zealand

Subject: Board Games By The Bay - Day 1 - Debrief rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Pierre Rebstock
New Zealand
Auckland
flag msg tools
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
It's only fitting to start with a great big thanks to Dave
David and Natalie
New Zealand
Wellington
flag msg tools
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
and the rest of his crew for organising all this in Auckland! I was only able to attend the first day but, as far as i'm concerned, everything went very smoothly throughout.
The games library was huge, heaps of games and definitely not enough time.
Finally got a chance to play 7 Wonders and I'm very glad i placed my order (now, i really can't wait for it to arrive). Also Forbidden Island, which felt a bit basic i must say but a good game nonetheless.
First play on Ticket to Ride Europe (only ever played the US map), good times as expected from a TtR game.

But of more importance (to me), I got the chance to bring out two of my prototypes AND entice/bully players around to give them a go. So many thanks to all those that could have been playing something more aesthetically pleasing but instead agreed to put up with my sorry contraptions. I must say I'm quite happy with the way both games ran with players completely unfamiliar with them (which is not the case of my usual group of victims... i mean testers).

Looking forward to the repeat event next year!
(on another note, has anybody tried to tack a boardgames event to Armageddon?)
4 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jason Clague
New Zealand
Hamilton
Waikato
flag msg tools
badge
I can see my house from here!
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
Definitely a fantastic event. Well done to the SB crew! And a big thanks to those who generously donated prizes.

Over the two days, Juliet and I managed to play: ( means new to me)

Innovation
Dominion: Intrigue x2
Glen More
Colosseum
Dominion x2
Dixit (new to Juliet, not to me)
The Princes of Florence
Dice Town
Piece o' Cake
Le Havre
Dominion: Cornucopia

Most of the above that weren't 'new to me' we were teaching to someone that was new to the game. To me, that's the great thing about events like this - the chance to try so many new games, with plenty of people around happy to teach.

thumbsup
9 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Alex Grant
New Zealand
Auckland
flag msg tools
More Yellow
badge
Great Wall of China
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
Yes, thanks for organising a very enjoyable weekend of gaming. You saved me a bunch of money too - I got to try several games that had caught my eye and found only one that I actually wanted to purchase (Telestrations - which is sadly not available in NZ).

Particularly amusing was managing to play two games of Julius Caesar in about 30 minutes (both involved early decisive battles, followed by a player conceding).
3 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris Moore
New Zealand
Tauranga
Bay of Plenty
flag msg tools
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
Big ups to Dave and Angie and the rest of the crew for a great weekend. Enjoyed it very much with many new games that Kat and I got to play (NTU).

Seven Wonders
Dice Town (NTU) - Thanks Dave (sorry about the cold pie)whistle
Innovation
Dominion Intrigue (NTU)(x2) -Thanks Jason and Juliet thumbsup
Colosseum
Allhambra (NTU) - Thanks Dave, Ang and Antonythumbsup
Stone Age (NTU) - Thanks Sherie and Dave thumbsup
Ra (NTU) - Thanks Craig and Antony thumbsup

Looking forward to Board Games by the Bay - Tauranga!!!
2 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Simon Woodward
New Zealand
Hamilton
flag msg tools
a.k.a. The Shire
badge
Waggle, waggle
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
Yes! Thanks to Dave and Ange and Craig and Linda - it was a really nice day (I was there Sunday with my 8 and 6 year old kids).

I enjoyed teaching a few games to families that turned up for a peek. The ones that really worked well were:
Sorry! Sliders
Unnamed Object
Halli Galli

Also played (slightly less successfully) with kids were
Hey, That's My Fish!
Dixit
Piece o' Cake

My kids also enjoyed these non-kids games (cause they won)
Can't Stop
Dice Town
4 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David and Natalie
New Zealand
Wellington
flag msg tools
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
PierreNZ wrote:
It's only fitting to start with a great big thanks to Dave
David and Natalie
New Zealand
Wellington
flag msg tools
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
and the rest of his crew for organising all this in Auckland! I was only able to attend the first day but, as far as i'm concerned, everything went very smoothly throughout.
The games library was huge, heaps of games and definitely not enough time.
Finally got a chance to play 7 Wonders and I'm very glad i placed my order (now, i really can't wait for it to arrive). Also Forbidden Island, which felt a bit basic i must say but a good game nonetheless.
First play on Ticket to Ride Europe (only ever played the US map), good times as expected from a TtR game.

But of more importance (to me), I got the chance to bring out two of my prototypes AND entice/bully players around to give them a go. So many thanks to all those that could have been playing something more aesthetically pleasing but instead agreed to put up with my sorry contraptions. I must say I'm quite happy with the way both games ran with players completely unfamiliar with them (which is not the case of my usual group of victims... i mean testers).

Looking forward to the repeat event next year!
(on another note, has anybody tried to tack a boardgames event to Armageddon?)


Hi Pierre. Thanks for coming to BGBTB - it was great to be able to facilitate some play testing for you, even if I missed out on it myself. I hope the gamers were brutally honest!

Yeah, 7 Wonders is a very popular game - I think that got more table time at BGBTB than anything else.

As far as Armageddon goes...the costs involved are pretty steep, but if you're looking for something to do on that weekend, there's always the Tauranga BGBTB event... ;-)
1 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David and Natalie
New Zealand
Wellington
flag msg tools
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
superbgg wrote:
Definitely a fantastic event. Well done to the SB crew! And a big thanks to those who generously donated prizes.

Over the two days, Juliet and I managed to play: ( means new to me)

Innovation
Dominion: Intrigue x2
Glen More
Colosseum
Dominion x2
Dixit (new to Juliet, not to me)
The Princes of Florence
Dice Town
Piece o' Cake
Le Havre
Dominion: Cornucopia

Most of the above that weren't 'new to me' we were teaching to someone that was new to the game. To me, that's the great thing about events like this - the chance to try so many new games, with plenty of people around happy to teach.

thumbsup


It was great to have you and Juliet there, Jason (as always). We always appreciate your enthusiasm and good humour. I know you really enjoyed Dominion: Cornucopia - was that your highlight of the "new to you" games?
1 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David and Natalie
New Zealand
Wellington
flag msg tools
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
alexgrant wrote:
Yes, thanks for organising a very enjoyable weekend of gaming. You saved me a bunch of money too - I got to try several games that had caught my eye and found only one that I actually wanted to purchase (Telestrations - which is sadly not available in NZ).

Particularly amusing was managing to play two games of Julius Caesar in about 30 minutes (both involved early decisive battles, followed by a player conceding).


Yeah, trying before buying is such a great thing. There's no point stumping up with your hard earned only to get something that you later regret buying!

Incidentally, Telestrations should be available in New Zealand - we're chasing it at the moment.

And that's funny about Julius Caesar! I think Angie mentioned that you were interested in something from Columbia Games - if so, just shout out and we'll see if we can help.
2 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David and Natalie
New Zealand
Wellington
flag msg tools
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
Seaj wrote:
Big ups to Dave and Angie and the rest of the crew for a great weekend. Enjoyed it very much with many new games that Kat and I got to play (NTU).

Seven Wonders
Dice Town (NTU) - Thanks Dave (sorry about the cold pie)whistle
Innovation
Dominion Intrigue (NTU)(x2) -Thanks Jason and Juliet thumbsup
Colosseum
Allhambra (NTU) - Thanks Dave, Ang and Antonythumbsup
Stone Age (NTU) - Thanks Sherie and Dave thumbsup
Ra (NTU) - Thanks Craig and Antony thumbsup

Looking forward to Board Games by the Bay - Tauranga!!!


Thanks CJ. (And thanks for being our pack mules - it made a huge difference!)

No worries about the cold pie - I'm just glad that Dice Town made a great present for your daughter...and I got another pie on the Sunday so it was worth the wait!

And blimey - that list of games makes it look like all I did on the weekend was play games! laugh
1 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David and Natalie
New Zealand
Wellington
flag msg tools
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
manukajoe wrote:
Yes! Thanks to Dave and Ange and Craig and Linda - it was a really nice day (I was there Sunday with my 8 and 6 year old kids).

I enjoyed teaching a few games to families that turned up for a peek. The ones that really worked well were:
Sorry! Sliders
Unnamed Object
Halli Galli

Also played (slightly less successfully) with kids were
Hey, That's My Fish!
Dixit
Piece o' Cake

My kids also enjoyed these non-kids games (cause they won)
Can't Stop
Dice Town


Hi Simon. I'm really glad you brought your kids, and that there were other young'uns at the event. A few families were brand new to modern board gaming and have now started a collection!

Your teaching was gratefully received - I know there are now a few new fans of Incan Gold courtesy of your efforts!
1 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David and Natalie
New Zealand
Wellington
flag msg tools
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
By the way, folks, we've written a basic summary on our blog and also here: http://www.boardgamegeek.com/thread/672170/board-games-by-th...
1 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jason Clague
New Zealand
Hamilton
Waikato
flag msg tools
badge
I can see my house from here!
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
seriouslyboard wrote:

It was great to have you and Juliet there, Jason (as always). We always appreciate your enthusiasm and good humour. I know you really enjoyed Dominion: Cornucopia - was that your highlight of the "new to you" games?


Definitely. I think I am going to be buying Dominion expansions for a while to come yet! Is it too late to buy shares in RGG? laugh
3 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chad Weaver
United States
Denver
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
superbgg wrote:
Definitely a fantastic event. Well done to the SB crew! And a big thanks to those who generously donated prizes.

Over the two days, Juliet and I managed to play: ( means new to me)

Innovation
Dominion: Intrigue x2
Glen More
Colosseum
Dominion x2
Dixit (new to Juliet, not to me)
The Princes of Florence
Dice Town
Piece o' Cake
Le Havre
Dominion: Cornucopia

Most of the above that weren't 'new to me' we were teaching to someone that was new to the game. To me, that's the great thing about events like this - the chance to try so many new games, with plenty of people around happy to teach.

thumbsup


Did you like Princes of Florence? Thinking about picking this up.
3 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jason Clague
New Zealand
Hamilton
Waikato
flag msg tools
badge
I can see my house from here!
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
chadw09 wrote:
Did you like Princes of Florence? Thinking about picking this up.


Yeah I did - got absolutely destroyed though! I really liked the way they did the auction mechanic. Definitely keen to play this again.
4 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Alex Grant
New Zealand
Auckland
flag msg tools
More Yellow
badge
Great Wall of China
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
seriouslyboard wrote:
And that's funny about Julius Caesar! I think Angie mentioned that you were interested in something from Columbia Games - if so, just shout out and we'll see if we can help.


Thanks David. It was my opponent who wanted to buy Julius Caesar, but by the time we finished playing (he wanted to try it first) your copy was already in someone's car heading back to Tauranga.
3 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Craig Liken
New Zealand
Christchurch
flag msg tools
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
superbgg wrote:
chadw09 wrote:
Did you like Princes of Florence? Thinking about picking this up.


Yeah I did - got absolutely destroyed though! I really liked the way they did the auction mechanic. Definitely keen to play this again.


You weren't the only one - though I must say my brother has played a lot more games of this than me and against some pretty calculating and strong opposition.

I thought you guys picked it up very well and it was great to introduce it to some new players. I'd probably have it in my game cupboard but don't get five players to the table often enough to justify owning it.

Auction games can be tricky on your first play, and that victory point buying mechanic is pretty tough to gauge as well. I honestly thought that you had enough cash to justify spending all your "work" income in that earlier round, but ultimately it cost you in the end game I think.
3 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Steven De Toni
New Zealand
flag msg tools
Avatar
mbmbmbmb
liken@xtra.co.nz wrote:

You weren't the only one - though I must say my brother has played a lot more games of this than me and against some pretty calculating and strong opposition.

I thought you guys picked it up very well and it was great to introduce it to some new players. I'd probably have it in my game cupboard but don't get five players to the table often enough to justify owning it.

Auction games can be tricky on your first play, and that victory point buying mechanic is pretty tough to gauge as well. I honestly thought that you had enough cash to justify spending all your "work" income in that earlier round, but ultimately it cost you in the end game I think.


Being one of the group that got slaughtered by you and brother, not once, not twice, but three times. Nothing like a sucker for punishment, and following in David's loosing streak where I won 0 of 6 games I played, but had fun while I was loosing.

Highlights, The Princes of Florence, Ra, and Monopoly Deal.

Thanks,
David, Angie, and code monkey Craig, see you at next event or sooner at Matamata.


P.S: I lied about Monopoly Deal.
3 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Craig Liken
New Zealand
Christchurch
flag msg tools
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
Yes - it was a great event. Really enjoyed a break out of Christchurch and fantastic to play some face-to-face games with gamers who I only know by their BGG avatars. Everyone was very enthusiastic and welcoming, and happy to both teach and learn new games.

Thanks David and co for organising.

Highlights
- The "learning" game I had of Chaos in the Old World complete with five players and expansion decks. Hadn't exected to enjoy this game as much as I did.
- Teaching people some great classic euros like The Princes of Florence and Ra.
- 7 Wonders - particularly that final game on the first day. Seven players - under an hour to go - everyone knew the game - great fun.
- getting "schooled" at Can't Stop by Simon's six-year-old.
- The The Pillars of the Earth rematch with David.

Lowlights
- None to speak of really, except that both days went so very quickly
5 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David and Natalie
New Zealand
Wellington
flag msg tools
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
alexgrant wrote:
seriouslyboard wrote:
And that's funny about Julius Caesar! I think Angie mentioned that you were interested in something from Columbia Games - if so, just shout out and we'll see if we can help.


Thanks David. It was my opponent who wanted to buy Julius Caesar, but by the time we finished playing (he wanted to try it first) your copy was already in someone's car heading back to Tauranga.


Ah, guts. If you know who it was, let me know and I'll follow up. thumbsup
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David and Natalie
New Zealand
Wellington
flag msg tools
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
sdetoni wrote:
liken@xtra.co.nz wrote:

You weren't the only one - though I must say my brother has played a lot more games of this than me and against some pretty calculating and strong opposition.

I thought you guys picked it up very well and it was great to introduce it to some new players. I'd probably have it in my game cupboard but don't get five players to the table often enough to justify owning it.

Auction games can be tricky on your first play, and that victory point buying mechanic is pretty tough to gauge as well. I honestly thought that you had enough cash to justify spending all your "work" income in that earlier round, but ultimately it cost you in the end game I think.


Being one of the group that got slaughtered by you and brother, not once, not twice, but three times. Nothing like a sucker for punishment, and following in David's loosing streak where I won 0 of 6 games I played, but had fun while I was loosing.

Highlights, The Princes of Florence, Ra, and Monopoly Deal.

Thanks,
David, Angie, and code monkey Craig, see in at next event or sooner at Matamata.


P.S: I lied about Monopoly Deal.


Haha, my losing reputation knows no bounds!

Looking forward to catching up in Hobbiton or Tauranga!
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David and Natalie
New Zealand
Wellington
flag msg tools
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
liken@xtra.co.nz wrote:
Yes - it was a great event. Really enjoyed a break out of Christchurch and fantastic to play some face-to-face games with gamers who I only know by their BGG avatars. Everyone was very enthusiastic and welcoming, and happy to both teach and learn new games.

Thanks David and co for organising.

Highlights
- The "learning" game I had of Chaos in the Old World complete with five players and expansion decks. Hadn't exected to enjoy this game as much as I did.
- Teaching people some great classic euros like The Princes of Florence and Ra.
- 7 Wonders - particularly that final game on the first day. Seven players - under an hour to go - everyone knew the game - great fun.
- getting "schooled" at Can't Stop by Simon's six-year-old.
- The The Pillars of the Earth rematch with David.

Lowlights
- None to speak of really, except that both days went so very quickly


Thanks for the feedback, Craig.

It was great to finally meet you, but boy oh boy you and your brother are formidable players!

Of course, now I want a rematch rematch! I kept giving you the craftsmen I wanted. But my score of 28 was probably my worst ever, haha!
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.