Subject: Decent for Solo Play? rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Geoffrey Wilson
United States
Rochester
New York
flag msg tools
I play most of my wargames solo; my gaming group is too ignorant to appreciate most of the complicated hex-based wargames I play.

This game I know of one or maybe two friends in person I can play with; but I usually play wargamesgames solo, so I keep that in mind when buying a game.

Is this game a good solo experience?
I've played other CDGs solo; doesn't work as well as for non-CDGs due to hand-secrecy, but is it generally workable and fun for this game?

I like games that have a lot of historical theme, and really tell a narrative of the battle/war which is within the scope of history but allow for some interesting what-ifs'.

I play Twilight Struggle too by the way though I know this isn't TOO much like that.

Anyway, how good do you think it would work solo?

Thank you!

PS- What do any American Revolutionary War buffs out there think of the historical theme and feel? From reading on this game I like the PC marker system and the strengths and weaknesses of the two sides.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Patrick Bauer
United States
Reading
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
Waste Water too
badge
Mid-Atlantic Air Museum
mbmbmbmbmb
Washington's War is fine for solo play, especially if you're a regular soloist. You can easily just play the cards for each side as best as possible. I certainly would decide pregame if the Americans are going to use Arnold and just stick with that decision.

Like all games not designed for solo play; it'll never play exactly like the 2-player but this one works.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Judd Vance
United States
Wichita
Kansas
flag msg tools
Every Man a (K-State) Wildcat!
badge
"Just get that sucka to the designated place at the designated time and I will gladly designate his ass...for dismemberment!" - Sho Nuff.
mbmbmbmbmb
something wrote:
I play most of my wargames solo; my gaming group is too ignorant to appreciate most of the complicated hex-based wargames I play.

This game I know of one or maybe two friends in person I can play with; but I usually play wargamesgames solo, so I keep that in mind when buying a game.

Is this game a good solo experience?
I've played other CDGs solo; doesn't work as well as for non-CDGs due to hand-secrecy, but is it generally workable and fun for this game?

I like games that have a lot of historical theme, and really tell a narrative of the battle/war which is within the scope of history but allow for some interesting what-ifs'.

I play Twilight Struggle too by the way though I know this isn't TOO much like that.

Anyway, how good do you think it would work solo?

Thank you!

PS- What do any American Revolutionary War buffs out there think of the historical theme and feel? From reading on this game I like the PC marker system and the strengths and weaknesses of the two sides.

Does it work well solo? Like any CDG I have come across, I like them solo, but I like them face-to-face better.

But get into VASSAL and play by e-mail or live. Don't be intimidated. I can help you get started. That way you can play against other people, and enjoy all of the joys of this incredible game.

As for realism, it is the best game at capturing the "feel" for war. If you want to win as the Americans, you will get really good at copying the Fabian tactics that Washington used. With the British, you are going to have a solid plan, stick to it, and not play the Americans' game. You will feel the frustrations of each side: the British' 3,000 mile supply line and lack of decisive generals. With the Americans, you will get aggravated by the lack of unreliability of your forces.

If you are wanting specific battlefield tactics, this is not going to provide that education, but it's by far the best game when it comes to capturing entire war.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.