Subject: Board covers rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Pete Menconi
United States
Arizona
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I've tried quite a few tricks for board covers, but find they don't lay flat, or they're so reflective I have trouble seeing the map, etc. My current favorite: spray-on matte finish. You have to cover both sides, and the whole EuF map takes about 3 cans (I like it heavy) (cover the back to prevent moisture imbalance that curls the boards). Dries invisible, and has no shine. Sheds water like a duck. Folds up like nothing is there, doesn't crack or split. Perfect. Well, air it out for about a month.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Craig Besinque
Canada
New Denver
BC
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
I can attest to the quality of this solution.
Pete was kind enough to give me a set of such coated maps and they are as waterproof, non-shiny and foldable as he says.

Craig
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Paul Lags
Australia
Parramatta
NSW
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Nice, just wish i could use my maps more often. If it wasn't for Vassal I'd never get to play
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brandon Minton
United States
Greensboro
North Carolina
flag msg tools
The US soccer players use their arms
badge
A new meaning to the name "Gunners"
mbmbmbmbmb
What brand of spray-on matte finish do you recommend Pete?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Pete Menconi
United States
Arizona
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I used Valspar once, RustOleum once. Both worked fine. I suspect anything in a big box store (well, the clear stuff) would work.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brandon Minton
United States
Greensboro
North Carolina
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Thank you for the quick response. My uncut, unfolded map set is arriving this week so giving them a protective coating is my first order of business!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Pete Menconi
United States
Arizona
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Uh, do it outside, right? And I think if I'd let each coat dry a bit longer between coats (*gasp!* follow the instructions?!) the odor might have gone away quicker. I stored the maps in the garage for about 2 weeks because the VOCs were evident in the den (where I normally keep my toys). There may be some water based coatings available, but I have not tested them.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brandon Minton
United States
Greensboro
North Carolina
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Good to know. I'm still just working on playing Eastfront right now so I'll just keep using the folded maps and plan on using the coated ones in a few weeks.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.