Railways of the World» Forums » General

Subject: Replayability with no expansions? rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Mr. Fickles
United States
North Carolina
flag msg tools
This game looks really interesting. The three things that make me want to buy this game are:
1. Relatively easy to teach/learn
2. Satisfying strategic depth
3. Pleasant game experience (as opposed to the "seriousness" of Age of Steam for example)
Are these assessments accurate?

One thing that is holding me back is the question of replayability. I know a lot of people on the Geek like to amass huge amounts of games but I prefer to buy very infrequently and have a small collection of 8-10 games. Therefore, if I buy RotW I will probably not be buying any of the expansions. Is this game worth having if you don't buy any expansions or will it get old really fast?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
brian
United States
Cedar Lake
Indiana
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmb
I think all 3 points are valid.

I feel the game is replayable enough, even with out the expansions. You have a random set up of the goods in each city. Which means the routes you are going to build will be different each time. The expansions don't offer a whole lot more besides the ability to play on a different map - which is usually better suited for a different number of players.

But if you get the base game now, it comes with the Mexico map that is good for 2-3. So you can play that when you have less players and go to the eastern US when you have 4 or more.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Peter Brahan
United States
North Sutton
New Hampshire
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I am in the same boat. I have only a few games (TTR, Thurn and Taxis, Stone Age, Agricola, San Juan, RoW, Finca, Zooloretto and Carcassonne) and am not a collector, but rather a heavy user of the few games that I have and have little exposure to other games, other than reading about them on this site. Additionally, with the exception of Zooloretto, all the games that I play are played exclusively with two players (my wife and I).

I purchased RoW with some of the money given to me for Christmas after much research. It's not cheap, but I love train games and there were enough good reviews about it that it made me decide to go for it. With 2 players, I am quite happy with it. The Mexico map (which comes with the game, as does the Eastern US map) is more suitable for two players, but we enjoy playing the Eastern US more, just because it is more familiar to us and doesn't have constant conflict like Mexico. I think that the game would be even better with 3-4 players, but we'll have to wait until our kids are a bit older for that!

In our opinion, it is very replayable, made possible by the random placement of goods at the beginning of the game in particular. Each game ends up with a slightly different strategy (as the goods need to be delivered to specific cities) and I think that it works out quite well.

I hope this helps!

Pete
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Peter Brahan
United States
North Sutton
New Hampshire
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
ColtsFan76 wrote:

I feel the game is replayable enough, even with out the expansions. You have a random set up of the goods in each city. Which means the routes you are going to build will be different each time. The expansions don't offer a whole lot more besides the ability to play on a different map - which is usually better suited for a different number of players.

But if you get the base game now, it comes with the Mexico map that is good for 2-3. So you can play that when you have less players and go to the eastern US when you have 4 or more.

...same conclusion as I had at the same time...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Samuel Hinz
Australia
Brisbane
Queensland
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
amyandpeteb wrote:
ColtsFan76 wrote:

...same conclusion as I had at the same time...

Agreed with the above, you can also play mexico with 4, it's a tight game but enjoyable.

Honestly ROTW is my number 1 game.

there is a tonne of replayability in this game.

if you decide you want another map there are plently of free maps too. all you need is a printer, paper and tape
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mr. Fickles
United States
North Carolina
flag msg tools
Thanks for taking the time to give me such helpful comments, guys. It sounds like exactly what I'm looking for. I'm going for it! :)
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bill Kunes
United States
Cincinnati
Ohio
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I hope you end up enjoying this one. I received it for my b'day back in May and would say it is my new favorite (or at least shared favorite).

I agree with the randomness of the goods placement adding replayability but would also add that the Operations Cards also add a factor of variability that influences what strategy and routes you would build as well... i.e. further playability!

meeple Keep playing...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Eric Sokolowsky
United States
Laurel
Maryland
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Railways of the World is a very replayable game by itself. That said, the Railways through Time expansion makes it almost infinitely replayable, because there are 8-10 mini-boards to choose from each time you play (the number of players determines how many boards get used), and the interactions among the boards are different every game too.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Samuel Hinz
Australia
Brisbane
Queensland
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
i have to say, after several plays of railways through time. that the different groups i've played all prefer standard maps and RTT takes longer than a standard map too. take longer to calculate you best deliveries.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.