Rob Lyon
United States
San Juan Islands
Washington
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Settlers 15th AE with Cities & Knights Expansion

Like many Settler fans I’ve been looking for the best set to suit our group’s tastes and needs. Like many trial and error approaches, it's been a little like the Three Bear parable. First we had the base set and dug the game. But we’ve never been big fans of the cardboard tiles and ended up using a sheet of Plexiglass that was kind of wonky with the number discs beneath. The thing about cardboard tiles (with the border or without) was how they tend to flip up on the edges. That bugged quite a bit. Then, of course, I am one for pimping out the few games that REALLY fly for us so when the 3D set hove into view I picked it up.

But the 3D game was like Papa Bear’s porridge. The first time I brought it out the hue and cry went right up. I could hardly believe it; I thought it was a certified work of art. They thought it was busy and bothersome, and, they were quick to point out . . . you couldn't hardly SEE what was what on the board without standing up. The fact that it was limited to 4P base game only, sealed its fate.

Enter Baby Bear. The 15th AE, the all wood version of the game. The tiles feel great in the hand, look wonderful, lay flat and don’t tip up or move around. The wood itself is satisfying. The artwork is subdued and attractive, the water an usual pastel blue that I have come around to liking. The harbors finally have been done to satisfaction, detailed imagery with clear association to relevant tile corners.

As for nits, none of us liked the small cards, and using them precluded buying additional cards which I like to have. More importantly, it prevented linking up with the commodity tiles in the C&K Expansion. Another nit is a typo on one of the Longest Army or Road cards that is a non-issue. And the final nitpick is the plastic card insert that wobbles around inside the box. but since we were tossing the small cards anyway, that too was irrelevant.

Overall, we like this wooden set very, very much. Even the wooden box that could have gone over the top like the one for War of the Ring CE, is well designed and absolutely elegant. But enough waxing in praise of the base game; I hadn’t intended this to be a review of the 15th AE set but about the ability to run the C&K Expansions with it.

Pakwan did a thorough job of laying out what’s what with the game interface with the three big box Exps: http://boardgamegeek.com/article/6622987#6622987. I will add my thoughts with a few images. Other than the few nits above, the game is a stunning, solid production and suffers only from the inability to play the big box expansions that Teuber has designed in recent years. Out of the box, none of the three expansions are a fit. This is largely because of the wooden/cardboard tile differential.

Traders & Barbarians is the roughest to try and tie in. The new tiles, I think, would have to be replicated in wood, wood tiles of the exact dimensions of the ones in the 15thAE set. Now this could be hobbied up by the right person or one could buy a second set of 15th AE and paint over. Unless one had a bit of the craftsman/artiste in them though, the end result might not be something you’d want to sit around. I doubt I’ll go with this expansion when playing with this set.

Seafarers is the next most challenging to stitch together, the biggest obstacle being the need for more sea tiles to really do much with the Seafarer scenarios. However, the purchase of that second copy of the game would all but solve the problem and is more tempting to consider. One will have to proxy up the gold hex and provide victory point counters. Mayfair sells a Viking style of ship that matches the wooden style pieces of 15th AE, and provide enough for 5/6 players: http://mayfairgames.com/goody.php?id=291

The expansion we are currently playing is C&K. This worked out easiest for us. With the current edition of the base game you’ll get the cards and the flip aids and with a package of, again, Viking style pieces: http://mayfairgames.com/goody.php?id=292, you’ll be set. They even have wooden knights which are interesting (the lowly knight looks exactly like the number one and had us fooled at first). Also, the Viking set provides circular metropolis tokens that fit over the cities in the wood game The package also includes bits for 6 so if you want to flesh in the capability of your new set you’ll want to pick up the 4th e 5/6 P C&K expansion as well.

Bottom line is with a few additions you can play C&K seamlessly with the game and for those who like this popular expansion, this is good news indeed. And if you're big into Catan and want to elevate your set, the 15th AE is a solid choice to consider.

robbage
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brent Pollock
Canada
Saskatoon
Saskatchewan
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Headphones...?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Rob Lyon
United States
San Juan Islands
Washington
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Yeah, they're goofing with us; they were working on the house before they sat down.

And the rubber glove . . .

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dice bags!
United States
Wurtsboro
NY
flag msg tools
admin
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Moved to The Settlers of Catan: 15th Anniversary Wood Edition.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.