Subject: Calculating VP's - I'm confused rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Judd Juddson
United States
Ohio
flag msg tools
I am unsure how to calculate VP's.

Rule 7.8 says that there is only one VP track counter, and that the counter tracks the VP "advantage". The example says the Poles lead by 1VP (so, counter is on Polish side on the 1 spot). The Poles lose a 2VP city and the counter flips to the Russian side and ends up on the 2 spot.

I am having trouble with this. Suppose the Poles had 5 VP's and the Russians had 4, which corresponds to a 1VP advantage for the poles. Now, the Poles lose a 2VP city to the Russians. They lose 2VP and the Russians gain 2VP. The Poles fall to 3VP's and the Russians go to 6 VP. That's 3VP advantage for the Russians. And yet, the example of play would have the Russians showing only a 2VP advantage.

What don't I understand about this.

I suspect my missunderstanding of this is also impacting my understanding of the learning scenario. At set-up, the Russians hold 5vp's worth of cities, and the Poles hold 2vp's worth of cities. That's a 3VP advantage. But the starting VPs indicate that the VP counter should be set up on the Russian side on the 2 space.

Justin

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
James Palmer
Canada
Ayr
Ontario
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I'll double check the rules, but I'm pretty sure the confusion comes from Strike of the Eagle not having a "tie" position. So if the Poles have 1 VP on the track, and the Soviets get 1 VP, then it's the Soviets who have 1 VP on the track. No ties allowed.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
James Palmer
Canada
Ayr
Ontario
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
From the rules:

"Only one side has a VP advantage at any one time. This advantage changes when a side’s VPs drops below 1."

So yes - no tie, and the advantage changes immediately when one side's VPs drop below 1.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Judd Juddson
United States
Ohio
flag msg tools
I'll have to think on this a bit. It has a sort of "disrupting the space-time continuum" flavor to it I'm not sure I like.

Justin
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
James Palmer
Canada
Ayr
Ontario
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Well, just take the number of victory points on the tracking sheet and subtract 0.5 from each number and it all makes perfect mathematical sense. :-)

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brian Bennett
United States
West Bloomfield
Michigan
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
There isn't a zero VP indicator on the track, so yes, if you have 2VPs and then lose 2VPs, the other player will end up with a 1VP lead. This does partially explain the starting VP condition of the first scenario, but the starting VP setup for each scenario is more based on balancing the scenario than the actual "condition" of the board.
I hope this helps your understanding of the VPs.

Regards,
Brian

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bill Romaniecki
United States
Attleboro
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
It's Polish math.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.