Hide
8 Posts

Dungeons & Dragons: Conquest of Nerath Board Game» Forums » Strategy

Subject: Any reason to ever save gold? rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Morbaus Litchsmack
msg tools
I wonder, has anyone discovered a useful strategy in saving gold between turns!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jon Quinn
United States
Bradley
Illinois
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I don't think that there is a good reason to save gold.

Its only use is to buy troops. As long as it is in the players treasury, it does nothing. A foot soldier on the battlefield is more useful than a gold saved in the treasury. Even the most expensive pieces are affordable enough that one does not need to save up for them.

I would say tha there is no good reason to save gold.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Greg Lott
United States
Little Elm
Texas
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Anyone worth their salt in making investments will tell you that a $1 today is more valuable than a $1 tomorrow. If you aren't saving for anything or aren't making interest, then purchasing now is always better than purchasing next turn. Since the most expensive item is 5g, there's nothing in the game you'd ever need to save for.

Use it or lose it.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
stephen biggs
England
flag msg tools
If castles wern't restricted to only 4 units. You might want to save so that once you built a castle near the enemy capital, you could then build an unstopable number of footsoldiers on it.
But they are limited to 4 units. So that won't work.

Alternativly you might consider saving gold to decieve one of the other players that you intend to attack them. however the alliance structure in CoN is fairly obvious. And the 1-rounds delay between building troops and using them in an attack, negates any "surprise".

i.e. if the rules/turn sequence were different than they are in CoN then saving gold would have a purpose. But as is, any gold saved is gold you havn't "invested" in more troops.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dallas Hoag
United States
Salamanca
New York
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
If you have a Rod of Resurrection you should save atleast ONE piece of gold. RoR lets you save one troop from being destroyed by paying one gold, this ability can only be used once per turn.

Other than that, its best to be broke or your playing wrong
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Eric Schiedler
United States
Austin
Texas
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
The Rod of Ressurection is an excellent point. But because of the game cycle, you will always have some gold. In other words, you will not have just one gold at the end of your turn, but about 12 to 22! (Unless you've already been trounced!)

Here is a (faint) reason to save gold:

If you don't have any reason to begin to move footsoldiers to the front line, then you can save a little gold towards building wizards. Building a stack of wizards in your castles to go to dungeons is a great way to loot dungeons. Having one or two gold and saving it towards a wizard next turn is reasonable and won't break you.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
stephen biggs
England
flag msg tools
Given 1 spare gold I'd probably build another footsoldier in my capital.
The turn you find out you havn't built enough of those is the turn you loose the game.
With 2 spare gold I'd build a fighter (to take losses for the wizards.)
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.