Dominion» Forums » Rules

Subject: Possession --> (Golem + Possession + Possession) = ? rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
I Q
Canada
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
In a two player game, my wife played Possession on me. After finishing her regular hand, I played mine which she directed. In my hand was Golem, which she directed me to play. The two actions which I got with my Golem were Possession and Possession. I assumed this meant that, after this possessed turn ended, I would get my regular turn (under my own control) and then my wife would play two possessed turns (under my control) and then she would get her regular turn under her own control. I also assumed that Golem leading to two Possessions meant that I had to play the Possessions on my wife while under her control, even if it was to her detriment.

Did I interpret this correctly? If not, where did I go wrong and what should we have done instead?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Matt E
United States
Minnesota
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
particle_man wrote:
In a two player game, my wife played Possession on me. After finishing her regular hand, I played mine which she directed. In my hand was Golem, which she directed me to play. The two actions which I got with my Golem were Possession and Possession. I assumed this meant that, after this possessed turn ended, I would get my regular turn (under my own control) and then my wife would play two possessed turns (under my control) and then she would get her regular turn under her own control. I also assumed that Golem leading to two Possessions meant that I had to play the Possessions on my wife while under her control, even if it was to her detriment.

Did I interpret this correctly? If not, where did I go wrong and what should we have done instead?

You almost got it right, but she should play the two hands controlled by you before you take your normal turn.

Her turn (plays a Possession)
Your turn controlled by her (play Golem, leading to two Possessions)
Her turn controlled by you
Your actual turn
Her actual turn

That's the proper order, I believe.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Andy Cassola
Italy
Piacenza
PC
flag msg tools
Power player
badge
http://www.orizzonteventi.org
mbmbmbmbmb
I always played you cannot have 2 consecutive turn of possession, my interpretations is

Your actual turn
Her actual turn

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Robert Ell
United States
Seattle
Washington
flag msg tools
mb
the_spy wrote:
I always played you cannot have 2 consecutive turn of possession, my interpretations is

Your actual turn
Her actual turn

This is definitely incorrect. Possession doesn't say anything about not doing it twice on the card. I think Matt has it right.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ido Abelman
Israel
Hod Hasharon
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
the_spy wrote:

Your actual turn
Her actual turn

That's wrong. I guess your interpretation comes from outpost. But unlike outpost, possesion says nothing about turn limit.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
James Newton
United Kingdom
Wiltshire
flag msg tools
badge
In the interest of giving credit where credit is due, my avatar is a scan of a hand-drawn caricature by cartoonist Jim Naylor which was done at my company's 20th anniversary dinner.
mbmbmbmbmb
This is all answered in the FAQ on Possession ...

Alchemy Rules wrote:
You are not taking a turn with the deck of the player to your left; that player is taking a turn, with you making the decisions and gaining the cards. This is a crucial difference to keep in mind when considering card interactions - the "you" in all cards still refers to the player being Possessed, not the player doing the Possessing.

Alchemy Rules wrote:
if you make someone play Possession during a turn in which you Possessed them, that will make that player Possess the player to his left, rather than you getting to Possess anyone further.

Alchemy Rules wrote:
Possession is cumulative; if you play it twice in one turn, there will be two extra turns after this one.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
I Q
Canada
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I should note, my wife is a good sport and very kind, and I didn't have to sleep on the couch. She even wants to play alchemy again.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Michael Link
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
particle_man wrote:
She even wants to play alchemy again.

Unlike a significant amount of posters on this site.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Boleslaw Kulinski
Poland
Warszawa
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
donaldx wrote:
Magesmiley wrote:
I might point out that the effects occur after the current turn. Possession doesn't say anything about making decisions for effects after the turn. Does the decision occur after the current turn is over or while the turn is still occurring? And if it is after the turn, who makes the decision?

I think this is actually a new question.

In order to invoke the timing rules with a decision, it has to be that one player has two things happening to them at the same time. In order for it to be between turns, it would be a choice between Possession (played by the previous player) and Outpost (played by the current player) (if it's two Outposts or two Possessions, it doesn't matter).

So X plays two Possessions on Y in one turn, and on Y's first turn makes Y play Outpost (not normally a good play, but let's say it happened via Golem). So now Y has to take a Possessed turn and an Outpost turn, and which comes first is a decision. Y took the most recent turn, so by my previous ruling we treat the between-turn space as Y's turn. Y was Possessed on that turn, so I am ruling that X makes the decision as to which to do first.

And a good choice is Possession, since it stops the Outpost turn from happening, as Y has now had two turns in a row.

I think everything else is covered in the rulebook.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.