Subject: Buying a co op. Yggdrasil or Ghost Stories rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Danny
United States
Dist of Columbia
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
Hi everyone. I am purchasing a co-op game and have narrowed it down between Yggdrasil and Ghost Stories. I have read the various threads debating the similarity (or lack thereof) between the two games, but that is not an issue for me since I am only planning to buy one.

I like the theme of both, but Yggdrasil may get the nod since Ghost Stories seems a bit similar in theme to Arkham Horror (which I own). I also personally like the art on the board itself more in Yggdrasil (although I find it neat that the board changes each play in Ghost Stories).

Yggdrasil also appeals to me because it's new (at least in America) and I have to say I fall into the "cult of the new". However, Ghost Stories seems to still be among people's favorites which says a lot for it's replability (I'm a little concerned that Yggdrasil lacks a ton of replayablity).

Last, what kind of footprint/set up time do these games require. The biggest reason I'm purchasing one of these games is to play alone (but also with my gaming group on occasion) and I want a game that doesn't take up my whole dining room table and take 45 minutes to set up like Arkham Horror.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Rik Van Horn
United States
Livonia
New York
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I'm not a big coop fan. I got tired of Pandemic quickly and hate Shadows over Camelot.

I do like Battlestar Galactica, but I've come to enjoy Yggdrasil.
That would be my recommendation.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Matthew M
United States
New Haven
Connecticut
flag msg tools
admin
8/8 FREE, PROTECTED
badge
513ers Assemble!
mb

First off - posting this to the Yggdrasil forums, you are likely to get more pro-Yggdrasil comments. Keep that in mind. That said, this won't be one of them

Ghost Stories has very little overlap theme-wise with Arkham Horror.

As far as setup time, both games take very little.

Those out of the way, the big differences between the two IMO are in scalability and difficulty.

Yggdrasil scales better than Ghost Stories. For me, Ghost Stories is only really satisfying with four players, so Yggdrasil offers more flexibility there.

On difficulty, Ghost Stories wins hands down. Yggdrasil is a casual game that can be made more difficult by swapping in and adding some cards, but game play is still very straight forward regardless of difficulty. Ghost Stories is difficult right out of the box and can be scaled to be even more difficult. Part of this is the sheer challenge presented by the antagonistic elements, but part of it is that there are a number of different choices you can make on a turn that all seem viable. Working out a "best" move is no small feat in Ghost Stories, and you feel like you've accomplished something significant when you've reached it.

For me Ghost Stories is the better option - it's meatier and a win feels more earned due to the difficulty of the game.

-MMM
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Danny
United States
Dist of Columbia
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
Octavian wrote:

First off - posting this to the Yggdrasil forums, you are likely to get more pro-Yggdrasil comments. Keep that in mind. That said, this won't be one of them

Those out of the way, the big differences between the two IMO are in scalability and difficulty.

Yggdrasil scales better than Ghost Stories. For me, Ghost Stories is only really satisfying with four players, so Yggdrasil offers more flexibility there.

On difficulty, Ghost Stories wins hands down. Yggdrasil is a casual game that can be made more difficult by swapping in and adding some cards, but game play is still very straight forward regardless of difficulty. Ghost Stories is difficult right out of the box and can be scaled to be even more difficult. Part of this is the sheer challenge presented by the antagonistic elements, but part of it is that there are a number of different choices you can make on a turn that all seem viable. Working out a "best" move is no small feat in Ghost Stories, and you feel like you've accomplished something significant when you've reached it.

For me Ghost Stories is the better option - it's meatier and a win feels more earned due to the difficulty of the game.

-MMM

Thanks for the quick reply! I just was wondering if you could expand on your thoughts pertaining to scalability and why Ghost Stories only works well with 4 while Yggdrasil scales better from 1 - 6.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Antonio Capo
Puerto Rico
San Juan
Puerto Rico
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I own them both and love them both. Can't you just get them both too?

But if it is going to be only one..soblue..then go with the Ghost Stories, as i think it has more staying power and more intense strategizing. Also, there's a nice expansion for Ghost Stories that adds a lot to its replayability.

But darn, im feeling sad you not gonna get to play Yggdrasil .
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Antonio Capo
Puerto Rico
San Juan
Puerto Rico
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
snarkie wrote:

Thanks for the quick reply! I just was wondering if you could expand on your thoughts pertaining to scalability and why Ghost Stories only works well with 4 while Yggdrasil scales better from 1 - 6.

I think Matthew means that playing with all 4 monks in Ghost Stories works better, as if you play with less than 4 monks, then you have to use some neutral boards for unused monks. Thats not to say you cant play it solo playing all 4 monks. In fact i always play it that way solo and its more satisfying than the solo rules for one monk.

In Yggdrasil on the other hand, the more players you add the more difficult the game. And yes, you can play it solo too using more than one God to make it even harder and interesting.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kamma
United States
Stuart
Florida
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
DEFINETLY GHOST STORIES! then get the white moon expansion for ghost stories. then after that get yggdrasil
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kamma
United States
Stuart
Florida
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
btw, when you get ghost stories, always play it with 4 monks it works great. i've never played it with less, never cared to. with yggdrasil, 3 gods is the best
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Müller-Lüden­scheid
Germany
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I agree with most of what the others have written.
Yggdrasil is the less complex game but judging from your game collection this not an issue.
Therefore buy Yggdrasil only if playing with 5 or 6 players is important and Ghost Stories otherwise.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
TS S. Fulk
Sweden
Örebro
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
Carpenoctem wrote:
I agree with most of what the others have written.
Yggdrasil is the less complex game but judging from your game collection this not an issue.
Therefore buy Yggdrasil only if playing with 5 or 6 players is important and Ghost Stories otherwise.

I love both, but I love GS more. It is always a blast to play.

We play GS with 3 or 2 players, but we use the full board of 4 characters (with one player take 2 characters or both in a 2-player game). That's because GS plays best with 4 Characters (not necessarily 4 players).

I find the game play to be more varied in GS, but Yggy still gets played (mostly as a solo game).
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jan
Belgium
De Haan
flag msg tools
admin
designer
I love cargo biking!
badge
...and videogaming, boardgaming, RPG'ing and helping users as an admin!
mbmbmbmbmb
Personally, I like playing ghost stories with 2 players, works very well. Didn't play solo tough. To get a good game of Yggdrasil I think you need more players. So a Ghost Stories vote here as well.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Alain Marti
Switzerland
Riedholz
Solothurn
flag msg tools
Super Trooper, I said!
badge
Waaagh
mbmbmbmbmb
Ghost stories however can be difficult to the point that it is fristrating.

I do have both games and like them both. Currently only Yggdrasil hits the table, but Ghost Stories is an excellent game, too.

Stick to what other have said and simply buy both of them.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chuckhazard
United States
Fayetteville
Arkansas
flag msg tools
I'm FREEeeee..ee..e..e...
mbmbmbmbmb
snarkie wrote:
Last, what kind of footprint/set up time do these games require. The biggest reason I'm purchasing one of these games is to play alone (but also with my gaming group on occasion) and I want a game that doesn't take up my whole dining room table and take 45 minutes to set up like Arkham Horror.

Yggdrasil certainly takes up more table top, but players can sit anywhere. With Ghost Stories the board is smaller but its better if players can sit one to a side, since that's where their board will be.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
'Bernard Wingrave'
United States
Wyoming
Ohio
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
snarkie wrote:
I just was wondering if you could expand on your thoughts pertaining to scalability and why Ghost Stories only works well with 4 while Yggdrasil scales better from 1 - 6.

My take on this: when playing Ghost Stories with 4 players, each player has one monk to use. When playing with any other number of players, you either don't have enough monks to deal with everything effectively, or you have one or more players who are playing multiple monks (which can be too much to keep track of).

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Lee Fisher
United States
Downingtown
PA
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
If the biggest reason is to play alone and occasionally with others, Yggdrasil may be best. It seems to me like Ygg works better solo and is also easier to teach or bring in new players on a more casual basis.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Doug Herring
United States
Pflugerville
Texas
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
mbmbmbmbmb
If it in your budget to eventually get both and you like good solo games I would go that route. Each has a very different feel.

As others have said, Ghost Stories is best with 4 people but it is also very good solo. It is VERY hard to beat often but you will enjoy it.

Yggdrasil playes great solo and is actually easier to win. I have won 70% of my solo games but games with more than three players have not been as good, probably about 30%-40% win (or lower). Still, even getting whooped in this game is fun.

Both have the same sense of tension which is part of what makes them fun.

As a note, Ghost Stories really has no similarity in game play or feel to Arkham Horror, in my opinion. Played lots of both.

Lastly, If you have not looked at these others for solo play it is worth it.

Legion of Darkness (State of Siege series- vp games) and it has a similar mechanics feel to Yggdrasil but very different theme.

Defenders of the Realm is a great solo game that plays really well with a group too.

Lord of the Rings: the card game: Made to solo or play with two people. Very fun.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brian M
United States
Thornton
Colorado
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I love Yggdrasil, and have played it a lot lately, but if I really had to pick I'd go Ghost Stories. More variety and a little bit meatier.

Playing Ghost Stories solo its often more fun to play multiple monks. This is very easy to do, but it bothers some people.

The same may be true of Yggdrasil (never tried playing it solo). The dynamics with more gods are a bit more interesting.

I've got mini-reviews of those two (and lots of other co-ops) in this geeklist.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
TS S. Fulk
Sweden
Örebro
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
StormKnight wrote:
I love Yggdrasil, and have played it a lot lately, but if I really had to pick I'd go Ghost Stories. More variety and a little bit meatier.

Playing Ghost Stories solo its often more fun to play multiple monks. This is very easy to do, but it bothers some people.

The same may be true of Yggdrasil (never tried playing it solo). The dynamics with more gods are a bit more interesting.

I've got mini-reviews of those two (and lots of other co-ops) in this geeklist.

Yes, the same is true of Yggy. I hate playing only 1 character solo. I usually play 2 or 3. Today it was Odin and Freyja, who suffered my first double conditional defeat. Nidhögg moved across the 3 line and pulled Hel up over the 5 line--I had a chance to defeat both, but Freyja rolled blank twice, so neither got pushed back.

I think I actually win much more with GS (some people think it is really hard) at Nightmare than I do in Yggy (with the Angry Enemies, but not the Ragnarök cards). We're probably at 40-50% wins on Nightmare GS and only 33% wins for Angry Yggy.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jeremy Lennert
United States
California
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
I feel that Ghost Stories has a more elegant design and harder choices to make.

But so far, I seem to enjoy playing Yggdrasil more. Perhaps because it allows for more planning ahead; perhaps because it just feels less oppressive, with a much higher ratio of positive actions to enemy attacks. I'm not entirely sure.

Based on my experience, I would agree that Ghost Stories is much harder for first-time players to win on its lowest difficulty; two games of Ghost Stories on initiate with new players have both been lost, while 4 games with new players on Yggdrasil were all won by a comfortable margin, except for one with 6 angry enemies that was lost by one die roll. The difference between minimum and maximum difficulty on Yggdrasil appears to be substantially bigger, though.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kamma
United States
Stuart
Florida
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
murks666 wrote:
Ghost stories however can be difficult to the point that it is fristrating.

I do have both games and like them both. Currently only Yggdrasil hits the table, but Ghost Stories is an excellent game, too.

Stick to what other have said and simply buy both of them.

i don't see why everyone thinks ghost stories is super hard, to me it's not that hard (and i'm not saying that to brag or anything). since you can kill 2 ghosts at one time in the corners, if you keep with a plan with 4 monks it's nothing stupid difficult
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kamma
United States
Stuart
Florida
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Dougmysticeye wrote:
If it in your budget to eventually get both and you like good solo games I would go that route. Each has a very different feel.

As others have said, Ghost Stories is best with 4 people but it is also very good solo. It is VERY hard to beat often but you will enjoy it.

Yggdrasil playes great solo and is actually easier to win. I have won 70% of my solo games but games with more than three players have not been as good, probably about 30%-40% win (or lower). Still, even getting whooped in this game is fun.

Both have the same sense of tension which is part of what makes them fun.

As a note, Ghost Stories really has no similarity in game play or feel to Arkham Horror, in my opinion. Played lots of both.

Lastly, If you have not looked at these others for solo play it is worth it.

Legion of Darkness (State of Siege series- vp games) and it has a similar mechanics feel to Yggdrasil but very different theme.

Defenders of the Realm is a great solo game that plays really well with a group too.

Lord of the Rings: the card game: Made to solo or play with two people. Very fun.

defenders of realm is a very excellent game one of the best.
don't bother with lord of the rings the card game though, in my opinion it's unbalanced and made too difficult

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
piero lalune
France
flag msg tools
designer
mb
Hi,

I can answer this question trying to be objective without talking about the illustations

To my mind, Ghost stories is a very hard challenge especially with two players (hardest config to play). Solo play is the easyest way to defeat Wu Feng and it takes a very good dimenson with 3 or 4 players cause it's full of challenge, discussion and hard choices. The game is not easy to win and there're a lot of informations (icons, powers...) to learn before the first game.

Yggdrasil is easyer to learn and explain. The game is faster and the theme is very important. I dont say that the theme is less important in Ghost, but the challenge is sometimes so high that you forget a little bit the story to find a way o eradicate Wu feng. Yggdrasil has a lot of choices of action but you really participate to the ragnarok and you can't ignore the theme during the game to my mind. AYggdrasil is, perhaps, better for casual gamers with a more common theme and a easyer learning curve.

Anyway, the two both games are good to my mind for coop games. They're both challenging and both enjoyable to my mind.... I couldn't tell you to choose one or the other... But I tied to give you enough informations to make your choice according to your feeling and your gamers table.

But the most important thing... The two games are incredibly wonderfuly beautiful !! devil

Hope it will help you
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
TS S. Fulk
Sweden
Örebro
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
pierolalune wrote:

But the most important thing... The two games are incredibly wonderfuly beautiful !! devil

Hope it will help you

Thanks for making these two games a joy to look at while playing.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Rob Corn
United States
Columbus
Ohio
flag msg tools
badge
How appropriate. You fight like a cow.
mbmbmbmbmb
tssfulk wrote:
pierolalune wrote:

But the most important thing... The two games are incredibly wonderfuly beautiful !! :p:devil:

Hope it will help you ;)

Thanks for making these two games a joy to look at while playing.

I can't agree more, I bought both games first for the art and second for the gameplay.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Christopher Boat
United States
Ankeny
Iowa
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Octavian wrote:

-MMM

Octavian nailed it.

As a side note- I've had Ghost Stories for a long while before I bought Yggdrasil, which took the spotlight for a couple weeks but eventually we were all back to playing Ghost Stories. Yggdrasil still gets the occasional play to help keep things fresh or when we have 5-6 players, but for us Ghost Stories is the clear better choice.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
1 , 2  Next »   | 
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.