Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Jeff Briggs
United States
clifton park
New York
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I would be interested in hearing about the games people played over the 4th of July Holiday weekend.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Carlee Dise
United States
Triangle
North Carolina
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I got in several games:
Letters from Whitechapel
Battle Line
Troyes
7 Wonders (plus expansion)
Forbidden Island
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Alexis Perez
United States
Fresno
California
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Saturday was my heavy gaming day.

I got in a few rounds of Glen More which was new to my collection. It's a fun light tile laying game. I can see this killing time before people show up like it did on Saturday.

After that we hit Hansa Tuetonica. Firt time playing this. I really liked it and look forward to playing it again even though I came in dead last. I realized that I really need to focus on one thing to make points and not dabble everywhere. But always a problem for me. Dabbling a bit everywhere usually works against me except in Agricola. Hmm maybe that's the new subtitle for that one, Agricola the game for dabblers.

We tried "The Target" next. I know the rules are really horrible. But after reading them a few times and making a few base assumptions we really enjoyed this one a lot.

Battlestar Galactica was next on the table. Great game as usual. I was the cylon but didn't find out till second loyalty round. By then I was already too far behind. Lost that one.

The big game of the day was next, a long version of Le Havre with 4 players. This was a long game and a bit of a thinking one. I came out on top by 7 points (final score 167). I had the fishery and a ton of other fishing buildings. I sealed it when I got the zoo and started flipping back and forth between the two. Finally, the storehouse sealed the deal on that one allowing me to get victory points for my huge stores of fish.

Next we took a quick round of "The Target" again. This one was a real favorite for the 4 of us. It's too light for anything serious but a nice game to break up the flow from one to the other.

We closed out the night with a game of Carson City. We use the alternate tile combat mechanic which we all liked better than rolling dice. Cuts down a bit on luck. Again everyone hates the gold side sheriff for locking down an action. Especially in end game where whoever gets it (me this time) uses it to lock down the $5 scoring track. If you get a big enough lead (I figure 10+ points) that creates a huge hurdle for players to close in the final round. Especially when I use that final round to just rob all their buildings. We all agreed that next time we play this it will be red side only.

Overall though a great Saturday of gaming. We got in about 12 solid hours of gaming.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jeff Briggs
United States
clifton park
New York
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I am jealous ... I am still waiting for my pre-0rder of 7 wonders Leaders to arrive(let alone have them have it in stock) from Miniature Market.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Carlee Dise
United States
Triangle
North Carolina
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
briggs5 wrote:
I am jealous ... I am still waiting for my pre-0rder of 7 wonders Leaders to arrive(let alone have them have it in stock) from Miniature Market.

Our pre-order came in on Friday
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Stefan Daniels
Canada
Surrey
British Columbia
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
See, we had the 1st of July long weekend up here.

The gaming group got in 3 games of Chaos in the Old World, a game of Inca Empire, Condottiere ( a completely unsatisfactory game in every way as one guy kept on getting ALL the keys, 10's and war-maidens while the rest of us were stuck with 1's, 2's and scarecrows. I don't think I've seen such lopsided distribution and win ever in this or any other game we've ever played), a game of For Sale, 10-12 games of Bughouse Chess using my recently acquired copies of Omega Chess (or man, my gaming group LOVES this game!), Ricochet Robots, a vigorous tournament of Loopin' Louie and finally a game of Revolution!.

All in all it was a games weekend of lighter fair but that's because next Sunday is our first of 3 Days of Summer Gaming in which the likes of A Game of Thrones: A Clash of Kings Expansion, some more Bughouse Chess using the tag-team rules for 6+ players, Titan, Dominant Species and thrown throughout will be a summer-long abstract tournament which we'll be keeping track of our win/loss ratio for the grand prize at the end of August (games include: DVONN, Plateau, Octi, Camelot, Santorini, Pacru, and 2-player Taluva; should be fun!)
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Alexis Perez
United States
Fresno
California
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
lindelos wrote:
See, we had the 1st of July long weekend up here.

The gaming group got in 3 games of Chaos in the Old World, a game of Inca Empire, Condottiere ( a completely unsatisfactory game in every way as one guy kept on getting ALL the keys, 10's and war-maidens while the rest of us were stuck with 1's, 2's and scarecrows. I don't think I've seen such lopsided distribution and win ever in this or any other game we've ever played), a game of For Sale, 10-12 games of Bughouse Chess using my recently acquired copies of Omega Chess (or man, my gaming group LOVES this game!), Ricochet Robots, a vigorous tournament of Loopin' Louie and finally a game of Revolution!.

All in all it was a games weekend of lighter fair but that's because next Sunday is our first of 3 Days of Summer Gaming in which the likes of A Game of Thrones: A Clash of Kings Expansion, some more Bughouse Chess using the tag-team rules for 6+ players, Titan, Dominant Species and thrown throughout will be a summer-long abstract tournament which we'll be keeping track of our win/loss ratio for the grand prize at the end of August (games include: DVONN, Plateau, Octi, Camelot, Santorini, Pacru, and 2-player Taluva; should be fun!)

I love Dominant Species right now.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Peter Neely
United States
Columbia
Missouri
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
Pretty slow this holiday weekend. I managed to wrangle my mother, who is my backup primary gaming buddy when my friends aren't able to make it and she's pretty formidable, which is great . We decided to give Settlers of Catan and one of the expansions, Traders and Barbarians a try. I had not had the chance to play the expansion before so we decided to start at the beginning and play the first scenario, which i believe is the Fishermen of Catan scenario.

We don't really change the rules when it's two players over three/four players, but it still came out to be a lot of fun even though my mother won the game by a long shot (I was only able to build 1 more settlement in addition to the two starting and she managed to win with the longest road victory and a few cities. I think the fish aspect was an interesting variation to the game, and definitely changes the rules just enough to keep the game going.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.