Assaf Becker
msg tools
Hi,
There are many games which I don't like without playing them, but based on the written and video reviews on the site. There are also games which I played and don't like not because I think they are bad, but because there isn't enough interaction for me or for some other reason and I don't think they deserve a low rate.

So is there a way to mark a game I don't like without rate it low?
Thanks
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls

Lacombe
Louisiana
msg tools
badge
Suddenly a shot rang out! A door slammed. The maid screamed. Suddenly a pirate ship appeared on the horizon! While millions of people were starving, the king lived in luxury. Meanwhile, on a small farm in Kansas, a boy was growing up.
mbmbmbmbmb
There's a "5-Don't buy this" wishlist option... I've never really figured out what it's for; maybe this is it.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ben Lott
United States
Mason
Michigan
flag msg tools
Being a Lions fan is a gift...
badge
...and a curse.
mbmbmbmbmb
I think this is where the "Comment" section comes in very handy. In that field you can give all kinds of details about why you dislike/like a game, and they don't have to be related to a rating at all.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Hammock Backpacker
United States
Columbus
Ohio
flag msg tools
Hot Coffee...Mmmmmm
badge
Go Take A HIke!
mbmbmbmbmb
NateStraight wrote:
There's a "5-Don't buy this" wishlist option... I've never really figured out what it's for; maybe this is it.

This option has come in handy during Secret Santa when I have a game I want on my wishlist but I don't want my Secret Santa to buy it for me.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mike Jones
United States
Gainesville
Florida
flag msg tools
Yeah it's here! Really it's right here.
mbmbmbmbmb
NateStraight wrote:

I use it so that if someone is buying a gift for me they know not to bother buying that for me.

When the secret santa comes around, I make sure people know that the wishlist is just a guideline and to feel free picking something for me that isn't on the wishlist. I'd hate to miss out on a good game just because it hasn't made it onto my wishlist.

(Anyway, that's why I use it).

When I read the title of the thread, that's the first thing I though of.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kyle
United States
Up Nort' Der
Wisconsin
flag msg tools
designer
VAST: The...
badge
We must move forward, not backward, upward, not forward, and always twirling, twirling, twirling towards freedom!
mbmbmbmbmb
Sir Schmoopy wrote:
Hi,
There are many games which I don't like without playing them, but based on the written and video reviews on the site. There are also games which I played and don't like not because I think they are bad, but because there isn't enough interaction for me or for some other reason and I don't think they deserves a low rate.
At the risk of drawing flak from rating system "purists"...

If you come across a game that you think is good and deserves a high rating even though you personally don't care for it, give it the rating you think it deserves and then use the comments box to explain what you don't like about it but why you've still rated it the way you did.

Barring that, don't put a number in at all and just use the comments box.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jim Cote
United States
Maine
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
You could also use tags. If the BGG system ever allowed collection filtering by tag...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Robert M
United States
Greenville
South Carolina
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
ekted wrote:
You could also use tags. If the BGG system ever allowed collection filtering by tag...

It was there with the old style and they took it away and I've asked for it back a number of times.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mark McEvoy
Canada
Mountain
Ontario
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmb
The problem with using-negative-comments and wishlist-5 is in its interaction with (what used to be called) the Universal Browser (now GeekFeed).

http://www.boardgamegeek.com/geekfeed.php?action=viewrecent&...[]=thread&infilters[]=article&infilters[]=session&infilters[]=review&infilters[]=thinglinked

^ A very useful link I've got as the first link of my quickbar. It shows me all recent articles/threads/reviews/sessions/links relating to games that have a "User information" instance in my account. So, basically speaking, it gives me an at-a-glance view of recent discussion of all games I own, have rated, have wishlisted, want to play, want to buy, want in trade, preordered, etc. But it would also include games that I've left a comment-but-no-rating, regardless of the nature of the comment. It would also include all games that I assigned a Wishlist-5 to.

I could low-rate such games and then filter by rating, but I prefer my ratings to be based on actual play experience and not speculative.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Burster of Bubbles, Destroyer of Dreams.
United States
Sunnyvale
California
flag msg tools
Just imagine the red offboard up here. I'll create it Real Soon Now...
badge
Yes, I know a proper 18XX tile should have a tile number.
mbmbmbmbmb
As others have said, comments and tags are the way to go.

If you don't want to clutter up your bgg "collection" data, you might also set up a second BGG account for the "anti-you", and it can tag or comment on games that you don't want to even try.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jeff Thompson
United States
Homewood
Illinois
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
If you don't have anything nice to say, don't say anything at all.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Assaf Becker
msg tools
I think that if you have something relevant, even if it's not nice, you shall say it.
Anyway, the reason I want to mark games I don't like is that I'll remember which games I dislike and won't check them out again and again, and not to cause other people to dislike them too.

Thanks for all the quick answers.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Matt Davis
United States
New Concord
Ohio
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Tompy wrote:
If you don't have anything nice to say, don't say anything at all.

Erm...I suspect this might have just been a joke on your part, but I'm not sure I could disagree with this more as far as the comments go. And it still seems like a bad idea for the ratings.... Thoughtful negative comments and ratings should be welcome around here.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tony Chen
Taiwan
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmb
Just go ahead and rate it poorly. It being your rating is all the justification you need.

Personally, I don't rate games I haven't played. But if other people did they can knock themselves out for all I care.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Simon Lundström
Sweden
Täby
flag msg tools
Now who are these five?
badge
Come, come, all children who love fairy tales.
mbmbmbmbmb
thatmarkguy wrote:
It shows me all recent articles/threads/reviews/sessions/links relating to games that have a "User information" instance in my account. So, basically speaking, it gives me an at-a-glance view of recent discussion of all games I own, have rated, have wishlisted, want to play, want to buy, want in trade, preordered, etc.

GeekFeed gets too little love, despite being one of the best functions on the Geek. I hoooked up a GeekFeed linked to my collection as soon as I had knowledge of it, and it's the first thing I always check on BGG. It's the most useful tool for keeping track of what people are posting of games you want to know more about.

GeekFeed is also one of the reasons why I dislike the splitting of games, as that splits the forums. I have to mark a lot of different Cosmic Encounters entries as "owned" when I actually don't own them, simply so that they will show up on the GeekFeed.

Off topic, but still. (For those who don't know where it is, because it's dead hard to find, just mouseover "Board Games" on the top of the page, and click "Recent Additions" and then filter it however you wish. Then save the link onto your Quickbar)

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.