Subject: Timing of Nightfighter Response to Intruder rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Kenyon Daniel
United States
Florida
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Since nightfighters can respond to intruders just like bombers this raised a question for us on when the response roll is made. Bombers respond during the combat phase. However, intruder combat takes place in the bombers move phase.

A strict reading of the rules would say that nightfighter reponse should take place in the combat phase (as would intruder response). However, given how responses work it seems like the nightfighter should be able to respond to the intruder during the move bombers phase since that is with intruder action is taking place.

Is it correct to allow nightfighters to respond to intruders during the move bombers phase?

Thanks for any insight!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Lee Brimmicombe-Wood
United Kingdom
Ely
Cambridgeshire
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
DocLeo wrote:
Since nightfighters can respond to intruders just like bombers this raised a question for us on when the response roll is made. Bombers respond during the combat phase. However, intruder combat takes place in the bombers move phase.

You're right that this has not been made sufficiently explicit in the rules. Rule 27.2.4 does mention that intruder combat occurs immediately in the Bombers Move Phase rather than the Combat Phase. The implication here is that response occurs at this moment, but this is not explicit. Regretably, there is nothing in 17.4.4.

Yes, response should be rolled when the combat takes place and this needs to be outlined in the rules. However, I'm hoping most umpires will apply a common-sense interpretation to this.

I shall add it to the FAQ list as a short-term solution and consider what i want to do in the long term
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kenyon Daniel
United States
Florida
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Thank you so much for the response!

That's what we figured it was since the phase of relevance was the move bombers phase with respect to intruders. However, being new to wargaming we thought it prudent to ask.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kenyon Daniel
United States
Florida
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
A follow up question:

Is an intruder allowed to change facing by 60 degrees upon entering the same hex as a nightfighter?

We've been playing that intruders can do this as it seems like the facing change is part of the move, but we want to make sure.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Lee Brimmicombe-Wood
United Kingdom
Ely
Cambridgeshire
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Intruders using Pursuit movement move exactly as nightfighters [27.2.3]. Since rule 9.2 permits turning after expending an MP there should be no problem with turning in the target nightfighter's hex.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kenyon Daniel
United States
Florida
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Thanks! Yes, I should have specified this was in relation to pursuit movement.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brent Pollock
Canada
Saskatoon
Saskatchewan
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
So, there is no response unless Intruder Combat takes place, yes, or is the Nightfighter allowed a response roll akin to the one in the first paragraph of 17.4, even though it is not the Combat Phase and the Intruder missed its Tally Fixed Enemies roll?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kenyon Daniel
United States
Florida
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
My guess is if the Nightfighter is capable of response (same hex, same facing, defensive guns, etc) then it could make a response just like a bomber. I read it that "bomber" essentially means any such plane (bomber, intruder, nightfighter) that is in combat position whether or not combat is going to happen can make a response. This keeps the rules consistant even if it does give away some information (i.e. an intruder is in the nightfighter's hex).

However, now that I think about it, does tallying (in the game sense) mean only "seeing" or is it something more specific. In other words, if the nightfighter has no fix and no tally is it therefore unaware of the intruder and cannot respond; or is it assumed that if you're in the same hex and same facing that planes that "could" be attacked are aware of the potential attacker even if those planes are not tallied?

Bombers and Intruders seem to "automatically" tally their targets as it were. Player nightfighters, on the other hand, have to roll to tally does that mean a tally is needed for a nightfighter to respond to an intruder? Maybe the response roll itself handles this (since it is mostly no response). I also assume that nightfighters and intruders can become alerted? I don't have the rules in front of me so I might be wrong since that may be explicitly addressed.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brent Pollock
Canada
Saskatoon
Saskatchewan
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Right now (i.e. unless LBW tells us otherwise) I am playing it that the Nightfighter does get to respond to an Intruder that did not make a successful 15.1 Tallying Fixed Enemies roll. My approach on this is to treat everything involving a Nightfighter or Intruder as a Hunted vs Hunter match up, with the Hunted getting treated as a Bomber. I also thought that this would give away information, but it is the umpire who makes the roll (second paragraph of 17.4) which could be just another dummy roll as far as the player is concerned:
The umpire rolls one die and consults the table below to
see if the bomber responds.

So, the first two steps of Intruder combat would be:
1. Intruder tries a 15.1 tally
2. successful or not, if they share same hex & facing, the umpire makes a response roll for the Nightfighter

If the result is Corkscrew or Defensive Fire, then the Nightfighters player is informed of the Intruder.

I am also playing it that Nightfighters and Intruders can be Alerted.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.