Hellenes: Campaigns of the Peloponnesian War» Forums » Rules

Subject: Ostracizing Pericles rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Antoine Picardat
France
Rosny-sous-Bois
flag msg tools
Just to be sure : the Pericles card and Special rule 15.1 say "Pericles can only be ostracized if Athens was pillages in the previous season". I understand it as "Attique was pillaged". Otherwise, how can a city be pillaged ? It can be captured, but not pillaged. And in the case of Athens, if the city is captured, well, the Spartans are very close to achieving victory, aren't they ?

So, Athens, or Attique, to ostracized Pericles ? Attique makes it much more easier. So it is an important detail.

Thank you

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Russ Williams
Poland
Wrocław
Dolny Śląsk
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmb
El Condor wrote:
how can a city be pillaged ?

rules wrote:
5.5 Pillaging
During Actions, players can win Prestige by Pillaging an opposing City where there is an Established Siege (7.2) from a prior Season. Pillaging costs 1 Action. The entire besieging Group Withdraws (moves) into an adjacent area containing no enemy blocks. No friendly units may enter the Pillaged CityState that turn. Immediately record +1 Prestige gained [+2 Prestige if Athens or Sparta] on the Prestige track. A CityState cannot be Pillaged more than once per Year (place Marker).

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Antoine Picardat
France
Rosny-sous-Bois
flag msg tools
Thank you.

My point was : the area is pillaged, not the city itself. Thus, in the Pericles rule, Athens is mentioned in place of Attique, right ?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Russ Williams
Poland
Wrocław
Dolny Śląsk
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmb
El Condor wrote:
My point was : the area is pillaged, not the city itself. Thus, in the Pericles rule, Athens is mentioned in place of Attique, right ?

I have the impression that "City" and "CityState" are used somewhat interchangably or equivalently in the rules. E.g. that quoted rule 5.5 talks about pillaging a City and pillaging a CityState, all within the same rule, evidently meaning the same action nonetheless.

I agree it's sometimes a bit confusing, but I just went with the flow and tried not to worry about it too much.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kamil Klapka
Czech Republic
Praha 10
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Antoine,
I think Athens (city) is right. Because Attica (region) contains both Athens and Platea. And certainly you can not ostracize Pericles if you pillage Platea.

So you must be in place of Athens and you are pillaging Athens and surounding space itself.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Antoine Picardat
France
Rosny-sous-Bois
flag msg tools
Thank you guys.
Here is how we played it : we decided that "Athens" meant the region of Athens. Not the city/town of Athens.
And bye bye Pericles !

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.