Ys» Forums » General

Subject: 2 Questions : Ys it, or Ys it not ? rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Lawrence Low
Singapore
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
1) Is Ys+ playable standalone, or does it need Ys to play as an expansion?

2) I have read of people finding mold on the brokers of Ys. In fact my friend whose set I learned the game on also has mold on his, but I like the game enough to want to buy a set. Does Ys+ also have the mold problem?

But anyways, after the big hoohaa about how to pronounce the name...
if it has mold on it, why not pronounce it "Yeast" ?

After all, good grapes + yeast = great wine, Yes? I'm so looking forward to Yet another fine French product (Yes, a fine 2004 vintage, no doubt).

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Thomas Chipman
United States
Zephyrhills
Florida
flag msg tools
buylower wrote:
1) Is Ys+ playable standalone, or does it need Ys to play as an expansion?

Ys+ only adds additional wooden pieces. It is not a game by itself.

buylower wrote:
2) I have read of people finding mold on the brokers of Ys. In fact my friend whose set I learned the game on also has mold on his, but I like the game enough to want to buy a set. Does Ys+ also have the mold problem?

My copies of both the base game and the expansion came with moldy pieces. I contacted Ystari and they promptly sent out replacements.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Lawrence Low
Singapore
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Thanks Thomas ! Now I know what to do !

In your opinion, is the expansion worth buying? I was hoping maybe Rio Grande or Ystari has packaged both into a single 5-player box bynow, but I guess not eh? They have not even fixed the mold problem, so how likely they will fix Ys + Ys+ right?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Thomas Chipman
United States
Zephyrhills
Florida
flag msg tools
the game was designed for 4, but plays well with 5. i'd suggest getting to know the base game before deciding if it is something you want to do with 5. if you really enjoy it and find yourself wishing you could add a 5th to the table, then grab the expansion.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Lawrence Low
Singapore
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Oh I just tried 4 last night, and really like the originality of mechanics & smoothness of integration. I don't always get 5 players, so it is mainly for the extra character & event cards that I'm asking about.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.