Popular Tags: [View All]
brian
United States
Cedar Lake
Indiana
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmb
Congrats to the guy that figured out how to make magnetic bases to keep all his M44 units together. But did we really need to spam the photo gallery with over 30 photos? For those of us with subscriptions, this has been a painful afternoon. WTF?

OK, cool concept:

Wonder what they look like by themselves? Each one is also an individual picture.

But wait, that's just the Allies. What about a picture of each AGAIN with their Axis Counter part.

And we can't let the Allies show off by themselves. How about one more picture of each Axis figure on its base. Now another group shot.

But in case you missed it, let's reload all the Allies by themselves again.

And for those that are dense, let's take off a figure to show the base underneath...for each figure type again.

But for those that don't believe they are magnets, let me show you that I can flip them upside down. And again with another unit type. And again with another unit type.

Now I will show them in action in game. Fine! let's see ONE! But no, there are 6 total.

Now I am angry with the mods for letting this through as well. Put it in your personal gallery people!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Rich Johnson
United States
San Ramon
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I just hit "mark all as read". Not that big a deal.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Matt Hiske
United States
Kentwood
Michigan
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Delete them as it's very simple. This action doesn't need to be taken as you sound worse than a woman and you need to buck up.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Carl Cox
United States
Tucson
Arizona
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb

No offense, but it took longer to read your post complaining about the photos than it took to "mark all as read" on the photos.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Michael Wheal
United States
Kosse
Texas
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I'm with Brian on this.. tedious doesn't come near to describing it...

Did I miss the pic that shows you that by using the bases,,. you can't see the terain underneath...?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
brian
United States
Cedar Lake
Indiana
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmb
matthiske wrote:
Delete them as it's very simple. This action doesn't need to be taken as you sound worse than a woman and you need to buck up.

Rude and sexist, score 2 for you!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
brian
United States
Cedar Lake
Indiana
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmb
rwjohnson wrote:
I just hit "mark all as read". Not that big a deal.

That works if you are logged on every once and a while. Since I was on when they were approved, every other post I read was one of these photos.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Gastel Etswane
Canada
Peterborough
Ontario
flag msg tools
badge
mb
And someone put a lot of work into this and probably thinks it is great (look at the images of the bases and you will see little 'watermarks' on them). This was a project of passion and the person was probably thrilled to show the world the accomplishment. I don't think it deserves a pissy post (which spammed my subscription as well) decrying their work. This whole site is a depository for our geekiness. If you can't be patient enough to look through a few photos of someones work then why are you here in the first place?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
brian
United States
Cedar Lake
Indiana
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmb
bebo995 wrote:
Sounds like mommy never said, "I love you."

Actually my mom was in a car accident that cut off her blood supply to her brain causing her to have many heart attacks and leaving her with stroke like conditions. This all occurred in a 2-week period with doctors only giving her a 6% chance to survive. She beat the odds though it left her semi-paralyzed. It took her months to learn to walk again and years to drive on her own, she has never gained back anywhere near her vocabulary. But one thing she can say quite clearly is "I love you."

But thanks for allowing me to share that story.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
brian
United States
Cedar Lake
Indiana
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmb
Gastel wrote:
why are you here in the first place?

So I can make little microbadges that you can wear proudly. Thank you for your support.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Robert Zimmer
United States
Ohio
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
right
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Josh Henderlight
United States
Knoxville
Tennessee
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Sorry about all the photos. This is my first submission and I figured the admins or Geekmod would reject some if there were too many. I didn't know anyone would be bothered by it, certainly not to the point of creating a forum thread on the topic. Lesson learned.

I don't suppose there is a way to delete some. I don't mind removing some if it makes everyone happy.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Michael Wheal
United States
Kosse
Texas
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Josh

Upload one of each type to highlight the items / works / pictures etc.. then throw the rest into your personal gallery - feel free to link to that under each photo etc.

Congrats on getting so many through Geekmod

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Josh Henderlight
United States
Knoxville
Tennessee
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
MWAlbion wrote:
Josh

Upload one of each type to highlight the items / works / pictures etc.. then throw the rest into your personal gallery - feel free to link to that under each photo etc.

Congrats on getting so many through Geekmod

Thanks for the advice. I have asked an admin to get some of them removed. Not sure what will happen with that.

Update: I found the Delete link on the images, so they appear to be removed. Hopefully that has it down to a reasonable number now. Thanks for the help, all.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
J A
United Kingdom
flag msg tools
badge
I agree with Brian.

MWAlbion wrote:
Congrats on getting so many through Geekmod :)

The standard of geekmodding is terrible.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
brian
United States
Cedar Lake
Indiana
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmb
titanteer wrote:
Sorry about all the photos. This is my first submission and I figured the admins or Geekmod would reject some if there were too many. I didn't know anyone would be bothered by it, certainly not to the point of creating a forum thread on the topic. Lesson learned.

I don't suppose there is a way to delete some. I don't mind removing some if it makes everyone happy.

No worries. I thought the concept was cool and definitely interesting. Just too many photos that didn't highlight anything new. Highlight a couple of them and make a thread showing your step-by-step process.

Sorry I lost it on you.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Robert Zimmer
United States
Ohio
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
ColtsFan76 wrote:
titanteer wrote:

No worries. I thought the concept was cool and definitely interesting. Just too many photos that didn't highlight anything new. Highlight a couple of them and make a thread showing your step-by-step process.

Sorry I lost it on you.

Now I agree with Brian -Well said.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ron
Austria
Vienna
flag msg tools
“It's all in the mind.” ― George Harrison
badge
Devoted Follower of the Most Holy Church of the Evil Bob. Possessed and down the road to become chaotic, evil & naughty. All hail the Evil Bob and his Stargate.
mbmbmbmbmb
Well, when I research a game, the first image I look for is an imaqe that shows the components, and then an image that shows the board during a game.

Normally, every image should be in the right gallery, and if I select "Game" and then sort by thumbs, it normally works fine; no big deal.

But a gallery with 89 pages of images is a little overloaded and looking at 40 different miniatures times 20 users or so can become ... erm ... a little boring.

So I understand Brian's irritation - I also experienced that feeling while browsing some game galleries, and I think some of the answers in this thread are under the waistline and unnecessary.

As long as you get 1 per image, you have to accept a certain amount of quantity meeple
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
James Hébert
United States
Topeka
Kansas
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Agreed on multiple counts.

Brian is right. The database is cluttered now. It's a royal pain to navigate page and after of repetitious images when you are looking for something specific and informative.

+1 Brian

Second, why the backlash directed toward him? If anyone around here has been a major supporter of Memoir (and the gaming community overall), it's Brian. Sure, he came off heavy-heavy handed, but if you follow the man's posts here, you can also tell it's out of character for him. You might cut him some slack, or point it out and ask about it. Buck up yourselves, people. He can have an opinion, or an off day, just like you.

-1 Irritated Responders

• [+] Dice rolls
Miguel (working on TENNISmind...)
France
Caen
(from Valencia, Spain)
flag msg tools
designer
My latest game: Big*Bang, a simple abstract about the first minutes of the Universe
badge
My best-rated game: TETRARCHIA, about the tetrarchy that saved Rome
mbmbmbmbmb
I thought exactly the same as Brian, but didn't have the time to start such a thread! I have made a magnetic travel version myself, and I wanted to share it here too, and I was so happy I wanted to take pictures of each army with each unit type... But then I tried to take only a few pictures as representative as possible of the whole results. Two things:

1) The poster can be very enthusiastic about his project and don't realize that 30 pictures are too many, but here the fault is on the geekmod side. Funny that when I try to post 3 pictures they are rejected as too similar!

2) The personal gallery ability is very badly advertised. Most of the people don't know how it works or why was it made for. I don't know how it could be better explained to new users, but that's something that should be definitely thought about.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jason Cleal
Australia
Port Kembla
NSW
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I did like them but I agree that there is way to many photos. What I would have liked is to see and read how he made them.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Miguel (working on TENNISmind...)
France
Caen
(from Valencia, Spain)
flag msg tools
designer
My latest game: Big*Bang, a simple abstract about the first minutes of the Universe
badge
My best-rated game: TETRARCHIA, about the tetrarchy that saved Rome
mbmbmbmbmb
...which is one of the uses of the Personal Gallery.

You write a thread in which you explain how you made something, for that you need a lot of pictures and you don't have a personal site, but you don't want to fill up the game gallery: you upload them to your personal gallery.

But again, I don't know if this is clearly explained somewhere to new users.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
WORELOF PENDRAGON
Canada
Kitchener
Ontario
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I want to see more pics! I loved them all.Brian is gay and has no taste.I WANT MORE MAGNETIC SOLDIER PICS PLEASE! So there your not the only one.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
George Husted
United States
East Hartford
Connecticut
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Gastel wrote:
And someone put a lot of work into this and probably thinks it is great (look at the images of the bases and you will see little 'watermarks' on them). This was a project of passion and the person was probably thrilled to show the world the accomplishment. I don't think it deserves a pissy post (which spammed my subscription as well) decrying their work. This whole site is a depository for our geekiness. If you can't be patient enough to look through a few photos of someones work then why are you here in the first place?

DITTO!!! You absolutely ROCK with this comment! I could not agree more.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Just call me Erik
United States
Waldorf
Maryland
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I think all sides maybe need to step off a little. I refuse to get involved in this discussion.

Wait...dammit. shake

I can definitely see all sides here, but I'll give the newbie the benefit of the doubt. I certainly wouldn't have expected that many to get through.

As for the comments directed at Brian, and perhaps some that agreed with him, all I can really say is that I used to be proud to be a BGG member. I used to tell people that BGG was one of those rare places on the internet that had people who would discuss things in a friendly, wise, and non-offensive manner without name calling and immaturity. The BGG user base was enlightened, intelligent, mature and above such pettiness.

I guess nothing good lasts forever.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
1 , 2  Next »   | 
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.