Subject: Solo Play Variant - Traitor in the King's Court rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
United States
Milwaukee
Wisconsin
flag msg tools
mb
This is a small variant which I feel makes the use of character cards in solo play a bit more interesting. I play using the official solo rules from Pearl Games but altered a few of the rules. I will be sharing the way in which I altered the use of character cards and the added variant.

From my perspective, I imagine myself a very influential
sect in Troyes using the established groups to topple the King, with a little help from a traitor. A coup d'├ętat if you will. This traitor is randomly selected from the six character cards. Also, envisioning "Le Roy" as Le Roi - which translates to The King in French- solves various problems I had with the original rules. In particular, the dominance he carries in terms of die and so on.

Traitor in the King's Court Solo Play Variant:
1. Prior to play, shuffle the 6 character cards and randomly select one. Reveal the character and place the card in your play area. This character is the traitor assisting you in the coup attempt.
2. The remaining cards are stacked face down. Do not reveal the character cards until each one is announced.
3. When the King announces a character, turn the top card over and play follows exactly like that of the official rules.
4. After the announced character is played, both you and the King roll three black die each. If the King's total beats your total, the King has found the traitor! Both you and the traitor are promptly beheaded. If your total dice is higher, then the King is none the wiser and play continues. In the event of a tie, the bottom most character card, if any, secretly swears his allegiance to you. Place this character along with your other traitor card. (Note: If the character card pile is exhausted, then the King earns the normal two VP, plus an extra VP for every traitor in your playing area.)
5. At game's end, only you score for the traitorous character. Any remaining character cards are ignored and no one scores. Only cards announced will be scored.

I have play tested this and enjoy it, however; I do see a few problems. Nothing too major but...

I welcome any and all questions, comments, and constructive criticism!

Enjoy,
wx hara

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
mateenyweeny
Canada
Toronto
Ontario
flag msg tools
Raks Raks Raks
mbmbmbmbmb
I don't understand point 4.
Are you saying that every time a character card is revealed, you have a 50% chance of loosing the game?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
Milwaukee
Wisconsin
flag msg tools
mb
Once the King announces a character you deal with it as you would in the official rules. After this step is complete, yes, you are beheaded if you fail to beat or tie the King's roll. I figure, if you're working in league with a traitorous character - a character that could potentially win you the throne- you have to be ready to pay the consequence if caught.

Please suggest tweaks to this variant if you desire.
It take a village to, er, ummm, create great variants. Go cooperation!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
mateenyweeny
Canada
Toronto
Ontario
flag msg tools
Raks Raks Raks
mbmbmbmbmb
Well there's a 5/36, or 14 percent chance of le Roy rolling 8, then a slightly less than 50% chance of him rolling higher than you.
So the odds are the you will lose before le Roy's 15th roll.
Maybe you losing is too harsh and your secret character should just be eliminated.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
Milwaukee
Wisconsin
flag msg tools
mb
slinkydink wrote:
Well there's a 5/36, or 14 percent chance of le Roy rolling 8, then a slightly less than 50% chance of him rolling higher than you.
So the odds are the you will lose before le Roy's 15th roll.
Maybe you losing is too harsh and your secret character should just be eliminated.

I totally agree.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Larry Buckel
United States
Whittier
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I tried this varient today. Just to confirm, Le Roy does NOT score points for ANY character card correct? Only cards I win by rolloff count for me as I understand it.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Nim Chimpsky
United States
New York
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
buck380 wrote:
I tried this varient today. Just to confirm, Le Roy does NOT score points for ANY character card correct? Only cards I win by rolloff count for me as I understand it.

The way I interpret it, he does score on some. My reasoning is that the original rules make a point of mentioning he doesn't score when the card relates to influence (Hugues de Payns) or money (Thibaut II), so it seems the rest are fair game. I'm a bit confused about the Henry I card, because it seems unfair for Le Roy to score points for Event cards, given how easily he can acquire them (though this obviously only matters if Henry I ever comes into play, and even then, only when later in the game).

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.