Hide
7 Posts

Space Alert: The New Frontier» Forums » General

Subject: A second expansion? Some ideas? rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Cliff Allister McLane
msg tools
Does somebody knows if Vlaada makes a second expansion?
I would be happy if he creates an expansion for 6 (or more) players. The chaos and non-stop gabble would be awesome. A new, bigger space ship would be interesting, too. But that´s nearly impossible because of the location of the internal threats.
With a second expansion there might be problems with the archievements of the first expansion. too.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Guy Srinivasan
United States
Kirkland
Washington
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Oh. My. God. Someone needs to make a good variant of Space Alert that I can play with 10 people and two games.

Get on that now please.

(Same as two simultaneous games but with an extra threat track that is Serious Threat Zones Ship1Blue And Ship2Red but only counts as a normal threat? Intercepters cover both ships? Methods to switch between ships? I'd want to keep it completely co-op of course)
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Adam Douglas
Australia
Flynn
ACT
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
That's a fantastic idea!

Multiple ships (each with 4-5 players) all taking on some serious fleet / death star threat.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Sean McCarthy
United States
Seattle
Washington
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
GreedyAlgorithm wrote:
Oh. My. God. Someone needs to make a good variant of Space Alert that I can play with 10 people and two games.

Get on that now please.

(Same as two simultaneous games but with an extra threat track that is Serious Threat Zones Ship1Blue And Ship2Red but only counts as a normal threat? Intercepters cover both ships? Methods to switch between ships? I'd want to keep it completely co-op of course)

Here you go. I'm not going to make a new thread until this has been tested at least once. (Which, by the way... where do I find this 10-person space alert group?)

In this variant, two Sitting Duck class ships have been tasked to monitor an enigmatic region of space from two sides at once.

Setup

The two ships face each other. Each has their own soundtrack running and deals with their own threats.

Teleportation Booths

Due to the new stereoscopic observation plan, the Visual Confirmation Station, which incidentally has been proven to be the cause of much panic in crew members who looked out it, has been boarded over. The area has been retrofitted with a decommissioned MicroMeal Synthesizer and is now known as the Teleportation Booth.

The first player to use the Teleportation Booth each turn is immediately transported to the other ship. Any further attempted uses that turn have no effect except to produce a delicious snack. Both ships' Booths may be used on the same turn.

A player using a Booth provides vision for the Phasing Anomaly in the destination ship only.

Every snack made is worth 2 points. There is no theoretical limit to the number of points that may be made from snack preparation.

Overlapping Trajectories

External threat trajectories have some overlap. Specifically, the bottom 7 squares of a given trajectory do not overlap, while the top up-to-9 overlap with the top up-to-9 of the complementary trajectory of the other ship. (The red trajectory of one ship overlaps the blue trajectory of the other. The two white trajectories overlap each other.)

Here's what this entails:

1) You can shoot at threats that are approaching the other ship, from behind, as long as they are in the top 9 possible track squares. (Most tracks are shorter, so there will be fewer than 9 actual squares which are in range.)

2) If said threats are in the top 3 possible track squares, they are even at distance 2 instead of distance 3. So, for example, rockets and the pulse cannon can target them.

3) The other ship's threats may even obscure your own ship's threats! Lasers only hit the first targetable threat along the trajectory, and threats to the other ship count! However, all threats to the other ship lose ties to threats to your ship if they are on the same space, just like higher-numbered threats lose ties to lower-numbered ones.

4) Extra rule: All threats have an additional 2 shield points applied to damage coming from behind them. So both 5-strength lasers would only be just barely enough to kill a 5hp, 3shield threat in one volley.

Threat effects

1) Use common sense.

2) Effects affecting players, the ship, and internal threats only affect those of the relevant ship. Examples: Transmitter Satellite, Siren, Space-Time Vortex.

3) Effects affecting external threats affect ALL external threats. Example: Scout, Leviathan Tanker, Hidden Transmitter.

Specializations

* The Data Analyst's advanced action causes him to use the Teleportation Booth and prepare two snacks on the ship he started on. If the Teleportation Booth has already been used that turn, he instead prepares three snacks.

* The Teleporter's basic action can indeed allow him to switch ships.

* The Hypernavigator only affects the ship (and associated trajectories) which he is currently on.

Ship Elimination

The loss of a single ship is not the end of a mission (though a campaign cannot continue with only one ship left). Immediately remove the trajectories and threats associated with that ship from the game. Players that were on that ship, or piloting interceptors from that ship, are out of the game as well. (If the ship blew up, they are dead. If it merely jumped early via Hypernavigator they are presumably fine.)

All players that are currently on the other ship, or piloting the interceptors of the other ship, continue on. Their Teleportation Booth undergoes a terrible short circuit and no longer has any effect, including snack production.

Scoring

Score each surviving ship (battlebots/damage/knocked out players), the threats it faced, and the snack- and Specialization-based points it earned separately, and add them together.

Subtract 24.

Subtract another 24 if one of the ships was destroyed, 2 for each battlebot squad lost with it, and an additional 4 for each player who was lost with it.

This is your score. In case of a negative score when using the experience system, -1 to -10 is worth -1 experience, , -11 to -20 is -2, etc. Due to the base experience awarded per mission and achievements, you may get a positive experience total even with a negative score. You can't get negative experience though - just take zero if it's that bad. Only surviving players only may take experience for a mission.

FAQ

* External threats do not care about X/Y/Z markings on their complementary trajectory. The trajectory overlap is only relevant for stuff like shooting at them.

* The ability "Cannot be targeted at distance 3" should be read as "cannot be targeted while it is at distance 3 on its own trajectory". (After it reaches distance 2, it can be targeted from both sides.)

* If a pulse cannon's range is extended by a special ability, a threat may be hit by both pulse cannons at once.

* Effects that reduce shields, like the Energy Cloud's ability, do not reduce the free 2 shields applied to damage from behind.

* Variable range interceptors can still only go to distance 3. Interceptors at distance 3 might potentially protect the other ship from a carrier's attack. (There are no tracks with an X in the top 3 potential squares, so interceptors at distance 2 will never be able to protect the other ship.) Multiple interceptor pilots don't lead to multiple damage reductions.

* Each "incoming data" allows the original crew of that ship to draw a card. Each "data transfer" allows the original crew of that ship to pass a single card to a player also in their original crew. (Variant: if you don't mind mixing two decks of cards together, allow passing cards to anyone.) When communications are down, the original crew of that ship may not talk.

* The "Close Calls" achievements apply specifically to the ship you end the mission on and/or its crew.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Guy Srinivasan
United States
Kirkland
Washington
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I will try this within the week, assuming I can find enough players, which I find likely.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Guy Srinivasan
United States
Kirkland
Washington
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
We played this 3 times yesterday, with 10 people, 4 of whom were relatively new (under 10 games previously played). After the first game, we changed the shooting-from-the-back rule from +2 shields to -1 shields. The +2 shields made us sad to do shenanigans, when we wanted to be giddy instead. We never managed to create any snacks... the extra talking and chaos apparently made the game much harder because we only survived 1/3 missions with double-actions, all white threats, which is surprisingly low. We took 0 experience for our -33 points on the final mission, first time I've ever died to an Asteroid.

The most fun thing to do is for someone to declare "Alpha Strike", tell the other ship to fire their (say) main red laser on turn 4, and destroy a threat with a hit from both sides simultaneously. (This is why we buffed shooting from behind.)

We all sat at a giant table, one ship on each side, and resolved actions starting from the Admiral and going in a circle. Our first game this was confusing because the ship without an admiral had a color-captain who didn't go first. Don't do that.

In general we felt there wasn't enough interactivity between the two ships. On the other hand we were dying to white threats, so maybe it was just inexperience.

It was also fun to take out a threat to the other ship which from the other ship's perspective couldn't even be hit because an earlier threat was still in front of it.

We did all right distinguishing between the sound tracks but it'd be nice if there were two very different sounding voices or something.

My first guess at how to increase interactivity relatively unobtrusively is to add a new specialty, Localitist, and have one person on both ships start as a 3rd level Localitist rather than their usual specialties. The Localitist's powers would look something like:
1. Teleport to the Teleportation Booth on your sister ship.
2. Prepare the laser cannon in your zone (not the Pulse Gun). Next time it's fired, its range is unlimited.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Joonas
Finland
flag msg tools
Personally, I'd love to see a 2nd expansion with some new threats and specializations, and maybe some new ideas. Nothing big, just something for us who already know all threats by heart
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.