Dungeons & Dragons: Castle Ravenloft Board Game» Forums » General

Subject: So this game won an award. Why? rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
United States
Unspecified
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I haven't purchased this game yet but had been thinking about it. I heard it won some awards but I wanted to know exactly why because I didn't hear it was the best boardgame ever.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kostas K.
Greece
Athens
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
SanguinousRex wrote:
I haven't purchased this game yet but had been thinking about it. I heard it won some awards but I wanted to know exactly why because I didn't hear it was the best boardgame ever.

That's probably why the award it won wasn't the "best board game ever" award.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Thomas Staudt
Germany
Rutesheim
Baden-W├╝rttemberg
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
SanguinousRex wrote:

It's a simple, fast, fun dungeon crawl with a wealth of first class components.
Other games of this kind are usually more complicated to play.

You will see comments here from people that dislike / hate exactly this simplicity, but I think that's why it wins awards.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Santi Velasco
Spain
Mairena del Aljarafe
Seville
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Yeah, they had to think up new categories because they realized the "Best Boardgame Evar" award could only be awarded once in the whole history of the universe.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Name recognition.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Rauli Kettunen
Finland
Oulu
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
'Cos it's not a JASE devil .

Just Another Soulless Euro (JASE)
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tristan Hall
England
Manchester
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
LIFEFORM - LIVE NOW ON KICKSTARTER!!!
badge
LIFEFORM - LIVE NOW ON KICKSTARTER!!!
mbmbmbmbmb
Because it's awesome.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mike Fox
United States
Yukon
Oklahoma
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
SanguinousRex wrote:

It's a dungeon crawl with first rate components that plays in 1-1.5 hrs. That feat is hard to match.

Although the game plays great with its base rules, it ALSO has unlimited potential for customization. That is another incredible feat--it is both a complete game and a tool kit for more gaming.

Another positive testimony to CR is that it has inspired some terrific homemade content. I couldn't help but write my own custom adventure that you can find in the files section for CR ("After Him! A Light Campaign for Castle Ravenloft"). I'll let you be the judge on how that one plays, but some of the other custom scenarios are brilliant. Some on here say that custom adventures prove that it needs tweaks, but I disagree. I think many of them are evidence that players really enjoy the game and made time to take advantage of its toolkit qualities.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Cracky McCracken
United States
Ohio
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Because our hobby has gone mainstream.

Origins passed over a truckload of great releases to pin a medal on this game shake
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.