Popular Tags: [View All]
Dan
Canada
Toronto
Ontario
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
This is my first time posting on BGG, so I thought that I would introduce myself by throwing out a weird method that I use when deciding to buy... anything.

Do any of you ever ever hold off buying a new board game until your previous board game has had enough plays on it?

I recently bought Agricola (a board game that I wanted for almost a year since I first laid my eyes on it on BGG), but only decided to purchase it after playing my copy of Settlers of Catan 40-50 times over the past year.

I tend to break down the 'initial' purchase price into $/play, and play enough times until I hit a low cost per play (e.g. I bought Settlers for around $40, after playing it 40 times, its about $1 per game). That way, I can mimic and compare the cost per play against just renting the board game.

Am I the only one weird enough to hold out like this? Or do you succumb to your temptations of purchasing a new board game?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tim
United States
San Antonio
Texas
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
There's certainly nothing wrong with getting the most out of your money and making wise buying decisions... Though I suspect sooner or later you'll buy a game that you can't possibly imagine playing 40-50 times (or even 4-5 times) and you'll be forced to come up with some new justification (which might be as simple as selling or trading away the unwanted game).

Unfortunately, not many games have the staying power of Settlers.

Best of luck!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Michael Debije
Netherlands
Eindhoven
The Netherlands
flag msg tools
number of plays has no influence on my future buying decisions.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dennis Bingham
Germany
Herford
NRW
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
mi_de wrote:
number of plays has no influence on my future buying decisions.

Same here.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jonathan Er
Singapore
Singapore
flag msg tools
badge
merriam wrote:
This is my first time posting on BGG, so I thought that I would introduce myself by throwing out a weird method that I use when deciding to buy... anything.

Do any of you ever ever hold off buying a new board game until your previous board game has had enough plays on it?

I recently bought Agricola (a board game that I wanted for almost a year since I first laid my eyes on it on BGG), but only decided to purchase it after playing my copy of Settlers of Catan 40-50 times over the past year.

I tend to break down the 'initial' purchase price into $/play, and play enough times until I hit a low cost per play (e.g. I bought Settlers for around $40, after playing it 40 times, its about $1 per game). That way, I can mimic and compare the cost per play against just renting the board game.

Am I the only one weird enough to hold out like this? Or do you succumb to your temptations of purchasing a new board game?

i could never buy new games based on the number of plays i have per game. if so i will have no new games - ever.

well, i guess if i had to succumb to that then i would have to thrift every game so that its easier to make an impossible criteria possible

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Juan Medina
United States
Cedar Park
Texas
flag msg tools
Property of LunaClara
badge
Board games rule my life, and my wife's. That is a good thing, believe it or not ;)
mbmbmbmbmb
Personally I don't think there is anything wrong with someone following your statement, but putting such a constraint will make it harder for you to enjoy board gaming in general.

Some thoughts on this:

- Figuring out a determined number of times you will play a particular game is a tough guess. If you must, you could use hours per year which will balance out what you get among different lengths of games. In the end, either limit seems a bit arbitrary and will force you to play the game even when you don't want to just to fulfill the cost ratio. Some games you will play over that ratio, some you will find hard to reach the ratio.

- I own games that will fit certain situations that are very specific. For example, Werewolf works only with large groups that enjoy social interaction, where Ligretto will work with a smaller group of people that like dexterity games and War of the Ring will work with my daughter. These I buy to be able to fit those situations, which may not occur often enough to warrant keeping count of their plays.

- Lastly, the only "count" criteria I use when deciding whether to buy a game or not is when I perceive the game will be not played at all or will have a very hard time getting to the table. Some examples of this can be found at Games I'd love to buy, that I don't buy.

I don't think it is weird that you have this in mind (I wish I had that kind of discipline) but I would suggest you don't make it too harsh a parameter. Finding a stable board game group will help you attain similar savings by spreading the games ownership among the members.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
jflartner
United States
Conshohocken
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I don't necessarily think your method is "weird" at all! Indeed, I wish I had your willpower! That way I wouldn't currently have over a dozen unplayed games on my shelves!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dan
Canada
Toronto
Ontario
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Everyone has good points.

I think that I was lucky when I bought Settlers, as it is a really fun game to play with everyone.

Unfortunately I think that I'm more enthusiastic about owning a board game over my friends, but it would be great to shuffle around the purchaser of newer board games.

When I was buying Agricola, I almost got Powergrid as well... but forced myself to only get one. I'm almost certain that my willpower would have been easily shattered if a fellow board-game enthusiast was with me. whistle

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
CHAPEL
United States
Round Rock
Texas
flag msg tools
badge
"that's a smith and wesson, and you've had your six"
mbmbmbmbmb
I buy games based on how many times I play it. Well, in a way. I no longer buy games I haven't played first.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Booker Hooker
United States
Tennessee
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I attempt to do something similar... I have the goal of playing each of my games 10 times. So I won't buy a new game unless no more than 4 of my games haven't been played ten times yet. Unfortunately that is way easier said than done... I'm a sucker for sales.

Personally I think you're on the right track... though playing a game 40 times is a bit hard to do. But I think it is fair to say that a large portion of the users on BGG have too many games on their shelves that have been unplayed for an extended period of time. I've personally wasted a lot of money on games that have sat unopened on my shelf for months before I turned around and sold them at a loss.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.