Popular Tags: [View All]
Peter Chilton
United Kingdom
Oldbury
West Midlands
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
At my office we're having a team away day next month, and I've been asked to come up with a game for after dinner - has anyone got any ideas as to what would be best for a large group of non-gamers?

The only idea I really have is Werewolf, but I'm not sure about the downtime for those killed early on.

Thanks

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Markus Hagenauer jr.
Germany
Surheim
Germany
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Yes, the donwntime is a big problem of Werwolf.
The Resistance deals better with this, but does not work for so much players.

I´d suggest Team Work Original. It´s easy, communicative, fun, and everyone is always involved.
The limit of 16 players in the game entry has nothing to do with the games mechanic. The game works with any number of players, but it gets a litte unclear with two much people shouting answers at the same time.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Douglas Damron
United States
Danville
West Virginia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Wits and Wagers. At Charcon each year we host a W&W game show with many teams of four or 5. Give them a time limit, let them discuss their answer, then let them discuss their bets, it's fun. Make sure you have enough chips.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Damien Seb. ●leoskyangel●
Malaysia
Bangsar & PJ
flag msg tools
badge
I play games not to win, it's the gathering that's important - Thanks for the tip Cate108!
mbmbmbmbmb
Not sure how the system works in Werewolf but I played a different game but based on the similar mechanics. In Lupus in Tabula, those who got killed will be a ghost, which then will be given a ghost card to signify this.

A ghost can never talk during the entire of the game, but still able to cast a vote when suspecting. Only when voting to lynch the suspected players (suspected; 2 players with the highest vote), the ghost can never join in.

A ghost plays the same way like he used to, except that he loses his ability for whatever role he was.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Hoyle A
United States
fiskdale
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
Eat Poop You Cat will work fine, though you might want to split into two groups so you don't run out of paper. Everyone loves this game.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
jflartner
United States
Conshohocken
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
shootfr0mthehip wrote:
Wits and Wagers.

+1
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jim Wilde
Canada
Edmonton
Alberta
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
jobin13 wrote:
shootfr0mthehip wrote:
Wits and Wagers.

+1

+1
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Marc Zukerman
United States
Rockville Centre
New York
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Teloric wrote:
jobin13 wrote:
shootfr0mthehip wrote:
Wits and Wagers.

+1

+1

+1

I've run this with 30 and it becomes a really big hit. People love thinking they're in a game show. Plus, you could cherry pick questions that are appropriate for the type of gathering that it is. For example, a team building session, it could have questions about great teams in the past or United Nations trivia or even about the history of the company.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Just Call Me Grantos
Canada
Orangeville (near Toronto)
Ontario
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
+1 Wits and Wagers is good for a large crowd.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Wesley Kinslow
United States
Piperton
Tennessee
flag msg tools
↳ Do one brain damage ↳ Do one brain damage ↳ End the run
badge
Real heroes wear pink...
mb
Dixit in teams of 3 or 4.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Shane Larsen
United States
Salt Lake City
UT
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
zooks wrote:
Teloric wrote:
jobin13 wrote:
shootfr0mthehip wrote:
Wits and Wagers.

+1

+1

+1

I've run this with 30 and it becomes a really big hit. People love thinking they're in a game show. Plus, you could cherry pick questions that are appropriate for the type of gathering that it is. For example, a team building session, it could have questions about great teams in the past or United Nations trivia or even about the history of the company.

+1 Wits & Wagers all the way!

Nothing beats this game with 20+ players. In fact, I don't play it with less than 15 because it's so great with very large groups. This is the game you want.

I brought it out at a New Year's party and played it with over 30 people once. With the crowd around the table yelling, cheering, and booing, you would have thought we were playing a real and wild game of Craps.

As an extra tip, the chips included with the game are hoaky. Go pick up some clay-composite chips of your own at a local billiards-supply or poker-supply store. It add to the theme dramatically.

Good luck and have fun!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Peter Chilton
United Kingdom
Oldbury
West Midlands
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
Thanks for all the great suggestions folks

Looking through I don't think there's an English version of Team Work Original available, though it does sound interesting.

Wits & Wagers/Gambit 7 seems like it might be a good idea - though there's a few non-Western members of staff in the office who've mentioned before that they find quizzes in England difficult due to the cultural differences - is that going to be a problem here? Or is a lot of the fun around the betting?

Lupus in Tabula seems to solve the downtime of Werewolf, but would all the extra roles confuse complete novices do you think?

Eat Poop You Cat always fun, and if everything else fails I'm sure I can grab some paper/pens from somewhere.

Dixit - does this work well in teams? I'd have thought coming up with a clue would be difficult in teams?

Thanks again!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Douglas Damron
United States
Danville
West Virginia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
In wits and wagers the game is won by betting as well as being able to tell which other team probably got the answer right (if you aren't confident in your own answer). You don't have to know a single bit of trivia for that game.

BTW, the answer to every question is a number, and I believe the correct answer is the closest without going over, so it's still playable just through guessing.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mitch Willis
United States
Kathleen
Georgia
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Ca$h 'n Gun$: Live plays up to 20...

Catch Phrase! (electronic version) can play up to any number, as long as it's an even number...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Peter Chilton
United Kingdom
Oldbury
West Midlands
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
otha62 wrote:
Ca$h 'n Gun$: Live plays up to 20...

Catch Phrase! (electronic version) can play up to any number, as long as it's an even number...

Thanks for the suggestions
I don't think Ca$h 'n Gun$ would fit the group to be honest, plus I'm not sure what the room will be like size wise.

Catch Phrase looks fun, but I can't seem to find a UK site selling it for a reasonable price.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Damien Seb. ●leoskyangel●
Malaysia
Bangsar & PJ
flag msg tools
badge
I play games not to win, it's the gathering that's important - Thanks for the tip Cate108!
mbmbmbmbmb
pchilton2002 wrote:
Lupus in Tabula seems to solve the downtime of Werewolf, but would all the extra roles confuse complete novices do you think?

I pulled out this game just recently (last month), and introduced it to about 9 other non-gamer friends. I only put in bodyguard, and the freemasons (it works the same way like "couple") during my play (seer is always included). The way I did was to introduced these characters one by one into our games. It was hard at first as most of them were completely new to the system, but they got addicted and we played about 12 more rounds that night. So yeah, I recommend using the bodyguard+freemasons for starters.

I can see that playing with a very large group, some would be left out as they can sometimes never receive a role with the special ability. My suggestion is that you take some of the popular roles created here in BGG, write them on a small piece of paper, and put them into sleeved cards from the game (other characters from Lupus in Tabula seem a lil complex for my friends). Some of my favourites are (because they're easy to teach):
- little boy
- witch
- healer
- lovers

Head here for further reading:
The Definitive BGG Werewolf Roles & Attributes Compendium
number of players

Credit to sightreader and franktidwell

Also good thing about Lupus in Tabula, there's a small description under the role card, helpful during early in the game.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.