Mike Stevens
United States
Nebraska
flag msg tools
I protect the sheep in our society from the wolves.
mbmbmbmbmb
I know this is a minor thing but I am curious as what is the difference between Thumbing someones Topic and then Thumbing their original post? Do each of those Thumbs go to the orignal poster? I certainly understand that when you Thumb an original post or follow-up comment that those people get those Thumbs. Who gets the Thumbs when you Thumb the topic.

Although alot of times there is close to the same number of Thumbs on a topic as there is on an original post but other times there is a huge difference. Thanks
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
CHAPEL
United States
Round Rock
Texas
flag msg tools
badge
"that's a smith and wesson, and you've had your six"
mbmbmbmbmb
Maybe you liked the idea of the topic, but didn't think the OP did it justice. But yes the original poster does get both thumbs.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Wade Nelson
United States
Golden Valley
Minnesota
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I (generally) thumb a thread if it has two of these three things:
* Interesting or informative
* Has at least a few posters and relevant discussion
* Needs more (positive) attention and/or discussion

I (generally) thumb the original post if it has 3 of these 4 things:
* Well-written or well-composed
* Isn't vitriol
* Brings to light something I wasn't previously aware of

They're pretty gross generalizations. I'm sure there are lots of other reasons I thumb things, but I always thumb based on content. I consider thumbing the thread as thumbing the discussion, not necessarily the original post.

Sometimes a poster might put something that is mostly drivel, but it drives some people to have an interesting discussion in the thread. Then I may thumb the thread, but not the OP.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mike Stevens
United States
Nebraska
flag msg tools
I protect the sheep in our society from the wolves.
mbmbmbmbmb
wadenels wrote:
I (generally) thumb a thread if it has two of these three things:
* Has at least a few posters and relevant discussion
* Needs more (positive) attention and/or discussion

I (generally) thumb the original post if it has 3 of these 4 things:
* Well-written or well-composed
* Isn't vitriol
* Brings to light something I wasn't previously aware of

They're pretty gross generalizations. I'm sure there are lots of other reasons I thumb things, but I always thumb based on content. I consider thumbing the thread as thumbing the discussion, not necessarily the original post.

Sometimes a poster might put something that is mostly drivel, but it drives some people to have an interesting discussion in the thread. Then I may thumb the thread, but not the OP.

Ok that makes sense. I noticed that sometimes certain people will thumb my original post and not the thread/topic and other times it will be vice versa. If I like the orignal post I almost always thumb both the post and thread. I didnt know if there was a certain protocal that people follow on here or if it is pretty much just individual taste.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
DC
United States
Grand Rapids
Michigan
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmb
Omahavice wrote:
Ok that makes sense. I noticed that sometimes certain people will thumb my original post and not the thread/topic and other times it will be vice versa. If I like the orignal post I almost always thumb both the post and thread. I didnt know if there was a certain protocal that people follow on here or if it is pretty much just individual taste.

Yep, no solid rules. My general rule is similar, but simpler:

- Thumb the thread if I think that the (whole) thread itself is interesting for some reason.

- Thumb the original post if I think that that post itself is interesting.

I may do one, both, or neither. But it is fairly rare that I'll thumb the thread but not the OP.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Walt
United States
Orange County
California
flag msg tools
Before terraforming Mars, Surviving Mars is required: Paradox Interactive; Steam.
badge
Please contact me about board gaming in Orange County.
mbmbmbmbmb
In terms of actual effects, both credit a thumb to the starter of the thread, so you can award two thumbs. (Of course, if you really want to, you can "thumb-bomb" someone by going to the Contributions section of their profile and thumbing everything they've posted.) The other effect is that the thread thumb count appears when the thread is listed and raises its "hotness".
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Andy Andersen
United States
Michigan
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
dcclark wrote:
Omahavice wrote:

Yep, no solid rules. My general rule is similar, but simpler:

- Thumb the thread if I think that the (whole) thread itself is interesting for some reason.

- Thumb the original post if I think that that post itself is interesting.

I may do one, both, or neither. But it is fairly rare that I'll thumb the thread but not the OP.

My unofficial policy also.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Emmanuel Aquin
Canada
Mont-Saint-Hilaire
Quebec
flag msg tools
designer
And D-Day Dice, too!
badge
I'm an "A"vatar.
mbmbmbmbmb
I agree. That's why I thumbed both the thread, and the OP.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Duke Of Lizards
United States
Montpelier
Vermont
flag msg tools
Livin's mostly wasting time, and I waste my share of mine
badge
I am a breathing time machine
mbmbmbmbmb
Thanks for asking this - I've been wondering the same thing. Now to do some thumbing...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Daniel Cedro Gomes
Brazil
Aguas Claras
DF
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Amiral wrote:
I agree. That's why I thumbed both the thread, and the OP.

+1
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Pete
United Kingdom
Bradford on Avon
Wiltshire
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I'm pretty indiscriminate about thumbing individual posts - if I think it was worth posting I'll probably thumb it.

I have been trying to use tips more, and possibly not thumb so much, but it is actually easier to thumb anything relevant and polite than make judgement calls!

I only thumb threads if I want to be able to find them again in the future (via contributions - thumbs given) even after they've gone quiet, so wouldn't come in if I'd subscribed. Typically an especially interesting discussion, or a DIY tutorial.

But with this thread or similar ones it's interesting to see different people's views, so I've thumbed the first and subsequent posts, but I doubt I'll want to refer to it again, so I've not thumbed the topic.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.