Subject: Engaging Scouts/Low Techs on high spots rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
AT-Colt
Germany
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Hi there,

yesterday, we played a nice 3p round of Civ and the following two questions came up:

1. It feels like I'm always judging this one differently, so I would like to have a clarification:
If I attack an undefended Scout, what happens? Do I charge Code of Laws? Do I obtain spoils of war?
If I remember correctly, the rules sounded like attacking an undefended Scout would not even be a real combat, so none of it could happen...
That would seem awkward, though.

2. Say my tech pyramid has 3 T1 and 2 T2 techs, so I have space for a level 3 tech or a level 1 tech. Can I put a level two tech that I desperatly would want to have in the tech 3 slot?
I'd say no because there is no fourth T1 tech and the rules do state this necessity explicitly.

/e
Typos...

Regards,

Colt

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Pawel Bulacz
Poland
Kraków
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
1)
You get spoils of war but no coin on Code of Laws

2)
You can't do that
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Daniel Hammond
United States
League City
Texas
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
The reason you get spoils isn't because you won a combat it is because the rules say when you kill an enemy scout with an army you "collect spoils as if you had defeated an army" or something close to that.

The only exception to techs have to go in their own tier are starting techs (Egypt and Russia so far) and ONLY for the civs that start with them. Just because Egypt has Construction in Tier 1 it is still Tier 2 for everyone else.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Abe Lincoln
United States
Texas
flag msg tools
Daniel -

Thanks for the insight into the loot recieved from killing a scout. It is one of those small caveats that I have somehow overlooked (yet clearly defined in the rules). When playing for a military victory and attacking a cultural player gaining three culture tokens for the cultural track COULD result in a General which is a big plus. I have overlooked the looting benefit too many times for a scout, but will not do so now.

Thanks

KJ
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Daniel Hammond
United States
League City
Texas
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
kcjones20000 wrote:
Daniel -

Thanks for the insight into the loot recieved from killing a scout. It is one of those small caveats that I have somehow overlooked (yet clearly defined in the rules). When playing for a military victory and attacking a cultural player gaining three culture tokens for the cultural track COULD result in a General which is a big plus. I have overlooked the looting benefit too many times for a scout, but will not do so now.

Thanks

KJ

I don't find people sit on culture very much, but I always look first, will 3 trade get me a better tech, then will 3 trade cost him a good tech (depending on how much I feel I need to knock him down), then I usually take a resource (even a random or a bad one, because you can always use it for a generic resource power or trade it for one you need). If he has nothing I need and/or is doing really poorly then I usually show my benevolent side ;).

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
France
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
dlhammond wrote:
The reason you get spoils isn't because you won a combat it is because the rules say when you kill an enemy scout with an army you "collect spoils as if you had defeated an army" or something close to that.

The only exception to techs have to go in their own tier are starting techs (Egypt and Russia so far) and ONLY for the civs that start with them. Just because Egypt has Construction in Tier 1 it is still Tier 2 for everyone else.

so the answer to the second questions is yes : he can put a level 1 or a level 2 or a level 3 tech in his empty slot, right ?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ian Kelly
United States
Longmont
Colorado
flag msg tools
Allow me to introduce myself. I am Hexachlorophene J. Goodfortune, Kidnapper-At-Large, and Devourer of Tortoises par Excellence, at your service.
badge
If you can read this, then this sentence is false.
mbmbmbmbmb
powerwis wrote:
dlhammond wrote:

so the answer to the second questions is yes : he can put a level 1 or a level 2 or a level 3 tech in his empty slot, right ?

No, only a level 3 tech can go in an empty level 3 slot.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
France
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Peristarkawan wrote:
powerwis wrote:
dlhammond wrote:

No, only a level 3 tech can go in an empty level 3 slot.

thanks !

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.