Popular Tags: [View All]
Todd France
United States
flag msg tools
IF ONLY I had a plan...
badge
The lesser of two evils?
mbmbmbmbmb
I just read the rules online, and I'm a little fuzzy about how the turn order works with first player rotation.

I don't have the rules in front of me (summonerwars.com is an uncategorized domain, therefore blocked at many if not most places of work), but they basically say something to the effect of: take turns to the left until play returns to the "First Player", then resolve Roaming Monsters and hand the "First Player" token to the left.

So, does that mean that to pass off the token after the first player has another turn, or before? Which turn sequence is correct?:

Player A
Player B
Player C
Roaming Monsters
Player B
Player C
Player A
Roaming Monsters

or:

Player A
Player B
Player C
Player A
Roaming Monsters
Player B
Player C
Player A
Player B
Roaming Monsters

If I had to pick, I'd say the first option seems to be the intent, but basically means the first player in a round basically misses his turn the following round. The later option preserves player sequence while moving the token around. So, which is correct, or did I completely misread something and it works some other way?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Colby Dauch
United States
Unspecified
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Player A
Player B
Player C
Roaming Monsters
Player B
Player C
Player A
Roaming Monsters

This is correct. Monster Roam then the First Player token passes and a new round begins starting with the new First Player.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mr. Bistro
United States
Richmond
Virginia
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
The first is correct. Dungeon Run plays quickly enough, so there's little downtime waiting for play to return to you, and by rotating the First Player token this way, it keeps players from easily picking on the same person over and over.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jim McMahon
United States
West Springfield
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
badge
Lookee what he can do! He wants a job!
mbmbmbmbmb
pseudotheist wrote:

or:

Player A
Player B
Player C
Player A
Roaming Monsters
Player B
Player C
Player A
Player B
Roaming Monsters

If I had to pick, I'd say the first option seems to be the intent, but basically means the first player in a round basically misses his turn the following round.

How can you say that with a straight face?

Player A
Player B
Player C
Roaming Monsters
Player B
Player C
Player A
Roaming Monsters
Player C
Player A
Player B
Roaming Monsters

Three rounds, each player having three turns. Nobody has missed a turn.
If you said that the first player has their turn and then every other player has two opportunities to go before they have their chance again, that might be more accurate, but it only really seems strange if you look only at three consecutive turns. Again, there is an equal number of turns for each player as there are rounds.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Todd France
United States
flag msg tools
IF ONLY I had a plan...
badge
The lesser of two evils?
mbmbmbmbmb
jimmcmahon wrote:
pseudotheist wrote:
If I had to pick, I'd say the first option seems to be the intent, but basically means the first player in a round basically misses his turn the following round.

How can you say that with a straight face?

If you said that the first player has their turn and then every other player has two opportunities to go before they have their chance again, that might be more accurate, but it only really seems strange if you look only at three consecutive turns. Again, there is an equal number of turns for each player as there are rounds.

Seriously? If every other player player has two opportunities to go before the first player has his second, it's functionally similar to skipping a turn. I never implied that there's a balance issue here or anything, but if every other round I play after player X and there are Y other turns between mine, but this round someone else plays after player X and there are 2Y other turns between mine, that's kinda like skipping a turn...

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Todd Mulholland
United States
Fort Wayne
Indiana
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
jimmcmahon wrote:

Player A
Player B
Player C
Roaming Monsters
Player B
Player C
Player A
Roaming Monsters
Player C
Player A
Player B
Roaming Monsters

Or, it's four rounds, with every round after the first having a player miss a turn (or rather, spend their turn moving roaming monsters). Since the pattern is:

ABC_BCA_CAB_, that's four repetitions, with one blanked out in repetitions 2-4.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
N S.
United States
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Oh man, it's a battle of the Todds. Only one Todd can be right.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Todd France
United States
flag msg tools
IF ONLY I had a plan...
badge
The lesser of two evils?
mbmbmbmbmb
Noahboa wrote:
Oh man, it's a battle of the Todds. Only one Todd can be right.

Actually I think the Todds are on the same side here, and at least one of them is right. Mr. McMahon will have to console himself with his Super Bowl ring...

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David Tolin
United States
Beaumont
Texas
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
screamingtruth wrote:
Player A
Player B
Player C
Roaming Monsters
Player B
Player C
Player A
Roaming Monsters

This is correct. Monster Roam then the First Player token passes and a new round begins starting with the new First Player.

Late to the party here, but I wanted to comment on this (having finally played the game and been struck that this "correct" way couldn't possibly be right). I'm glad we interpreted it correctly during play, and I agree that downtime isn't an issue, but it really does seem odd and unfair in the endgame.

We played a 4-player game for our first try. Player A killed the boss as his last action, but was also start player for that round. Thus, there were six turns for others to make it over there and grab the Stone. Seemed kinda lame, but then again, maybe just poor strategy on his part (which I'll forgive since he's nine and killing the giant monster is his biggest goal). But, once we were all there, it got even more odd. The first player to get there happened to be the new start player by that point, so she picks it up, and then... just had to stand there for six turns fighting everyone off to keep it? What's her alternative? Just leave it lying there? Not really a choice.

And, worst of all, once there were only three of us left, the turn structure made winning seem impossible for certain players. I ended up with a choice of killing the Stonebearer or letting her walk out the next turn with a win (since the third player couldn't beat her). But, if I kill the Stonebearer, it won't do me any good, either. Why? Because I'm start player now. Thus, the only other player remaining (after I've killed the third) has two full turns, back to back, to pick up the Stone and get out.

For almost the entire game, none of this was an issue, but at the end it just seemed off. The player first to the boss had to stand around waiting while everyone else caught up, then hold onto the stone while being attacked six separate times. Not exciting.

Has anyone else had these problems? We otherwise really enjoyed the game.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jim McMahon
United States
West Springfield
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
badge
Lookee what he can do! He wants a job!
mbmbmbmbmb
DavidT wrote:
screamingtruth wrote:
Player A
Player B
Player C
Roaming Monsters
Player B
Player C
Player A
Roaming Monsters

Late to the party here, but I wanted to comment on this (having finally played the game and been struck that this "correct" way couldn't possibly be right). I'm glad we interpreted it correctly during play, and I agree that downtime isn't an issue, but it really does seem odd and unfair in the endgame.

We played a 4-player game for our first try. Player A killed the boss as his last action, but was also start player for that round. Thus, there were six turns for others to make it over there and grab the Stone. Seemed kinda lame, but then again, maybe just poor strategy on his part (which I'll forgive since he's nine and killing the giant monster is his biggest goal). But, once we were all there, it got even more odd. The first player to get there happened to be the new start player by that point, so she picks it up, and then... just had to stand there for six turns fighting everyone off to keep it? What's her alternative? Just leave it lying there? Not really a choice.

And, worst of all, once there were only three of us left, the turn structure made winning seem impossible for certain players. I ended up with a choice of killing the Stonebearer or letting her walk out the next turn with a win (since the third player couldn't beat her). But, if I kill the Stonebearer, it won't do me any good, either. Why? Because I'm start player now. Thus, the only other player remaining (after I've killed the third) has two full turns, back to back, to pick up the Stone and get out.

For almost the entire game, none of this was an issue, but at the end it just seemed off. The player first to the boss had to stand around waiting while everyone else caught up, then hold onto the stone while being attacked six separate times. Not exciting.

From the rules, page 12 (The Endgame):
When the dungeon boss is defeated,the Summoning Stone becomes available. When a hero picks up the Summoning Stone artifact card,the endgame begins! Heroes that are defeated after the endgame begins (not including those that are currently knocked out)are killed, and they lose the game. In addition,any hero equipped with the Summoning Stone takes and keeps the First Player token at the beginning of each round – the First Player Token will never leave a hero as long as they have the Summoning Stone artifact card equipped. (emphasis mine)
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David Tolin
United States
Beaumont
Texas
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
jimmcmahon wrote:
DavidT wrote:
screamingtruth wrote:
Player A
Player B
Player C
Roaming Monsters
Player B
Player C
Player A
Roaming Monsters

From the rules, page 12 (The Endgame):
When the dungeon boss is defeated,the Summoning Stone becomes available. When a hero picks up the Summoning Stone artifact card,the endgame begins! Heroes that are defeated after the endgame begins (not including those that are currently knocked out)are killed, and they lose the game. In addition,any hero equipped with the Summoning Stone takes and keeps the First Player token at the beginning of each round – the First Player Token will never leave a hero as long as they have the Summoning Stone artifact card equipped. (emphasis mine)

Holy crap--Thank you, thank you, thank you! Really enjoyed this game up to the end, but then had such a sour taste afterward. I'm so glad to learn it's because we played it wrong. Now, back to the dungeon...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.