Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Jan Colpaert
Belgium
TEMSE
Oost-Vlaanderen
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I've bought this game on the DVG-site, downloaded it, but can't open this in VASSAL. Can someone help me, please?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dan Verssen
United States
Glendora
California
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
mbmbmb
The file is zipped, have unzipped it?

If so, have you downloaded the latest Vassal software from the Vassal site? Once you do, open the Vassal software to browse to the Corsair file and use the "open" command. It should open it.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jan Colpaert
Belgium
TEMSE
Oost-Vlaanderen
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Hi Dan,

When I open it, I get this message : CorsairLeader\Demo_ext\CorsairLeader.Mdx is not a valid VASSAL module. I have installed the latest version.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dan Verssen
United States
Glendora
California
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
mbmbmb
I'm sending you a different file now...

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Steve Willows
United States
Woburn
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I purchased the game yesterday and received the file this morning. I loaded up vassal and selected the .mdx file and got the exact same invalid module error.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Michael Cowguill
United States
Lilburn
Georgia
flag msg tools
I purchased the game several years ago and never had any problem running it. Hadn't played it in a long while, but tried to play it over the past few weeks and can't get Java to open the .jnlp file. Have sent 2 emails to DVG and no response. I guess either new versions of Java and/or Vassel don't like the the game anymore (Java 6 and Vassel 3.1.16). I also have Hornet Leader II and it runs just fine with no problems. I would assume someone at DVG hasn't updated Corsair Leader to tun on new versions of Java and/or Vassel. Shouldn't be too hard to fix I would think, but getting someone's attention at DVG has been a problem for me and apparently others too. Small company doesn't have to = slow customer support. I'm disspointed with DVG and would like to be able to use what I purchased.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Robert Morss
United States
Sanford
Maine
flag msg tools
My experience with the VASSAL version of Corsair Leader.

About a month ago (call it early March 2014) I was on dvg.com looking for an entry point into their Leader series of air combat games. I've never played them, but have been impressed with them through Marco Arnaudo's video blog (marcowargamer on youtube).

I was interested to see that DVG offers several VASSAL conversions, which look like a great way to sample a game. (I'm an experienced VASSAL user and have created modules for myself.)

I decided to try the Corsair Leader demo, which comes as a jnlp file - a script that pulls in the java binaries from the vassal website when you execute it. There was an immediate problem: when I started the demo I got the java splash screen, then the module download progress bar, then the game splash screen, then nothing!

Emailed dvg to tell them about this (and attached the error log from the VASSAL folder so they could diagnose the problem). Never got a reply.

However, having decided to make Corsair Leader my entry point to the Leader series (due to its lower complexity), I tried the demo again a couple of weeks later (end of March 2014). I once again downloaded the jnlp demo from dvg.com - this time the game started without error. Great! They fixed it! I went through the tutorial game, liked what I saw, and decided to buy the full game for VASSAL.

Dan at DVG sent me the download link for the game within a few hours of my purchase: a zip archive containing .mod and .mdx files for the full game. There was no instruction file (readme), so I tried loading the .mod file in my VASSAL module library window. This got me into the game, but the procedure would not be obvious to someone relatively new to VASSAL and having run the demo game through the jnlp.

(The file extensions confused me a little, too. I am used to seeing .vmod and .vmdx files - apparently VASSAL changed to these extensions in the decade since Corsair Leader module was created).

Here are some things I noticed as I familiarized myself with the game:

- The PDF instructions that come with the game (from 10/29/05 - what? no update in nearly 10 years?) say that a registration code has to be entered into the module preferences window, but this is no longer the case, per Dan at dvg.

- Every time I start the module (either the tutorial or the campaign), I get these messages in the chat window:
Corsair Leader version 1.5
- Extension CorsairLeader v1.4 loaded
- Bad Data in Module: Image not found counters14
- Bad Data in Module: Image not found tactic.gif
- Bad Data in Module: Image not found pilots01
- Bad Data in Module: Image not found pilots13
- Bad Data in Module: Image not found pilots28
- Bad Data in Module: Image not found pilots31
- Bad Data in Module: Image not found hornet_counter01
- Bad Data in Module: Image not found hornet_counter31
- Bad Data in Module: Image not found hornet_counter21
- Bad Data in Module: Image not found hornet_counter11

Annoying but the game still is playable. I looked into the module and the extension through the VASSAL editor but could find no reference to these images in any component. Perhaps they are part of a bad setup file(?) - could not tell as the demo_setup and corsair_leader_setup files are binaries.

- The map graphic for the Late Solomons campaign is very poor quality (pixelated). The small text is barely readable, and it just looks awful.

- Neither campaign map is fully set up: the Day, VP, and Ordnance counters, and all 18 of the "target destroyed" (X) markers are stacked in a deck that you have to pull apart one by one every time you start a campaign. (I made a .vsav file to fix this, and made it the default load file when starting a campaign.)

- There was no MS Word template included for the Player Log as mentioned on page 3 of the PDF rules. (Nor is it available on dvg.com, as the log files for the other Leader games are.)

- Inconsistent terminology:
"Ordnance points" vs. "Special Operations points"
"short", "medium" and "long" campaigns vs. "skirmish", "conflict" and "war"
"Day" vs. "Mission" (synonymous?)

DVG has a reputation for quality, so I was very surprised to find that this game is offered for sale with all these glitches (and considering that DVG has had nearly 10 years to iron them out).

Because of these quality issues with Corsair Leader, I would not recommend it to anyone, and I am hesitant to purchase any other DVG VASSAL conversions.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Robert Morss
United States
Sanford
Maine
flag msg tools
I found the source of the "Bad Data in Module" warnings - they were in the buildfile, which I extracted from the vmod archive, edited as plain xml, then re-added to the vmod.

I've spent the best part of a day re-working the VASSAL module for Corsair Leader so it looks and behaves to my liking. I stripped out the tutorial (not necessary once you've worked through the separate jnlp demo). My version has just the two campaigns, along with several minor tweaks to game elements presentation.

If someone could send me (or upload) a scan of the Late Solomons campaign map I would appreciate it (jpg or png at least 800 pixels wide). The one that comes with the module is poor quality. Also the Player Log sheet, which was missing entirely from the VASSAL product (it was supposed to be a spreadsheet file but I don't mind doing the log on paper).

Update - April 5 - DVG sent me a Player Log PDF via email.

Update - April 30 - I decided to make my own campaign maps using a nice png Solomons map from wikimedia commons. Landscape orientation and enough room for the target deck and game tracks.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Lee Smith
United States
California
flag msg tools
Dan, I am getting the same error. How can I get this to work?

Thanks.

Lee

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.