Popular Tags: [View All]
No No No Sheep
Russia
St Petersburg
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Dear Friends

Anyone ever tried to program the whole arkham horror into computer ?

regards

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Philip Eve
United Kingdom
flag msg tools
I'm pretty sure there have been a number of efforts in that direction. The main obstacle is that Fantasy Flight (who hold the rights) are dead set against allowing computerised versions of their games to be made.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
TS S. Fulk
Sweden
Örebro
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
Hammerite wrote:
I'm pretty sure there have been a number of efforts in that direction. The main obstacle is that Fantasy Flight (who hold the rights) are dead set against allowing computerised versions of their games to be made.

Then why have they released Hey, That's My Fish! for Mac and iOS?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Philip Eve
United Kingdom
flag msg tools
tssfulk wrote:
Hammerite wrote:

That game appears to be published by other companies besides Fantasy Flight; perhaps the rights that FF holds do not enable them to close down unauthorised computer versions. Alternatively, perhaps FF are getting a cut (I have no idea whether this is at all likely). I should probably have been more precise in my statement, and said that FF have a record of refusing to grant permission for fan-made computerised versions of their games to be distributed (which I believe is accurate).
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
TS S. Fulk
Sweden
Örebro
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
Why would any company allow fan-made versions of their games to be made?

Hammerite wrote:
tssfulk wrote:
Hammerite wrote:

That game appears to be published by other companies besides Fantasy Flight; perhaps the rights that FF holds do not enable them to close down unauthorised computer versions. Alternatively, perhaps FF are getting a cut (I have no idea whether this is at all likely). I should probably have been more precise in my statement, and said that FF have a record of refusing to grant permission for fan-made computerised versions of their games to be distributed (which I believe is accurate).

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Philip Eve
United Kingdom
flag msg tools
tssfulk wrote:

You've lost me - what bearing does this question have?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
No No No Sheep
Russia
St Petersburg
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
in my opinion, arkham horror is both easy and hard to program.

easy to implement:
- turn by turn phase game play
- movement and combat
- monster movement
- ancient one combat
- skill checks
- gate opening and closing

hard to implement
- some encounter card description is hard to implement
- some mythos card is hard to implement

i already created investigator database including skill, item common & unique, spell and monster database (all from arkham horror wiki). and i put investogator and monster in combat sequence simulation (from evade to horror check to combat) and it works fine. monster movement is implemented according to mythos card draw. so the mythos gate opening and monster spawning is working as a simple random artificial intelegence.

thanks to Alex (barbalez), i put option to have monster location spawn unknown to player (hidden) and when in combat, monster stat is also hidden. this make monster combat more scary and unpredictable.

since i have only arkham horror box and not the expansion, currently only core AH rules will be used. i tried to find dunwich horror but it seem finding bin laden is easier than finding dunwich horror lol. i read about dunwich and i agree some of dunwich element like madness and injury card are important addition to base game.

what i dont know is this, do ppl want to play whole AH board game in computer? or they just need tools to improve AH board game session ? a DM toolkit or a solo player kit ?

regards

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
No No No Sheep
Russia
St Petersburg
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb

this is another project of computer arkham horror by other people.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4AqHpJW6i8w

a nice 3d image of AH map. but the combat sequence is not as fun as the real boardgame imho. in the boardgame, the dice rolling combat check is suspenseful,, but in computer , looking at automated dice roll seem to take something away from the game and make it less fun..

regards

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
TS S. Fulk
Sweden
Örebro
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
Hammerite wrote:
tssfulk wrote:

I should probably have been more precise in my statement, and said that FF have a record of refusing to grant permission for fan-made computerised versions of their games to be distributed (which I believe is accurate).

I missed the "to be distributed" meaning a fan-based, but pro version, or?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Freelance Police
United States
Palo Alto
California
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
dprijadi wrote:

No. Why would they? To paraphrase Kevin Wilson on the Doom boardgame, you create a boardgame that plays to the strengths of boardgames, not a boardgame that mimics the videogame -- and makes you wish you were playing the videogame instead.

There is a Lovecraft Country MMORPG. Haven't played it, but computers can do horror much better than boardgames (not just through graphics and sound, but by hiding information for the players to discover).

That being said, there are Arkham Horror iPod and iPad (?) accessories for Arkham Horror.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Paul W
United States
Eugene
Oregon
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
Sam and Max wrote:
dprijadi wrote:

No. Why would they? To paraphrase Kevin Wilson on the Doom boardgame, you create a boardgame that plays to the strengths of boardgames, not a boardgame that mimics the videogame -- and makes you wish you were playing the videogame instead.

There is a Lovecraft Country MMORPG. Haven't played it, but computers can do horror much better than boardgames (not just through graphics and sound, but by hiding information for the players to discover).

That being said, there are Arkham Horror iPod and iPad (?) accessories for Arkham Horror.

Although they're no replacement for physical board games, there are plenty of reasons people want to play board games electronically. ON the other end of the spectrum, something like a Lovecraft MMO scratches a very different itch than an electronic Arkham Horror, and it's a rather silly argument (and a false dichotomy) to say "playing board games on a computer is pointless when you've got video games".
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tim McCarron
United States
Houston
Texas
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
dprijadi wrote:

a nice 3d image of AH map. but the combat sequence is not as fun as the real boardgame imho. in the boardgame, the dice rolling combat check is suspenseful,, but in computer , looking at automated dice roll seem to take something away from the game and make it less fun..

regards

that actually looks very cool implementation that person is building there. Looks clean, easy to use - could be fun

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Philip Eve
United Kingdom
flag msg tools
tssfulk wrote:
Hammerite wrote:
tssfulk wrote:

I should probably have been more precise in my statement, and said that FF have a record of refusing to grant permission for fan-made computerised versions of their games to be distributed (which I believe is accurate).

I missed the "to be distributed" meaning a fan-based, but pro version, or?

Not necessarily. When I say "distributed", that could be as simple as offering for download from a web site (or for play via a web site).

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
No No No Sheep
Russia
St Petersburg
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
travillaintim wrote:
dprijadi wrote:

regards

that actually looks very cool implementation that person is building there. Looks clean, easy to use - could be fun

this site also describe the harshness of programming arhkam horror for PC

http://arkhamhorrorvideogame.wordpress.com/

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tim McCarron
United States
Houston
Texas
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
dprijadi wrote:
travillaintim wrote:
dprijadi wrote:

regards

this site also describe the harshness of programming arhkam horror for PC

http://arkhamhorrorvideogame.wordpress.com/

thanks! subscribed

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.