Hide
17 Posts

Agricola» Forums » Rules

Subject: Family Growth without a room and scoring rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Owen Notting
msg tools
Hey all after playing a couple of other eurogames (TTR, Bohnanza, Carcassonne) I finally bit the bullet and bought Agricola. At this stage me and my folks are only playing the family version just so we can get our heads around the basics first. I love the game but I just need some clarification on one of the rules regarding family growth and empty spaces.

So basically when I take the "family growth without a room" action I get an extra person, now is this person considered to be taking up a space on the farm for scoring purposes?

I get the feeling they arn't because then you'd be getting two scoring bonuses for this extra person at the end of the game, but I was just after some clarification, thanks!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
DC
United States
Grand Rapids
Michigan
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmb
Nope -- the new person lives in your house (like everyone else). Just stack two of your people discs on top of each other in a room of the house.

You get 3 points for each person at the end of the game, but people don't take up farmyard spaces.

Also, welcome to BGG!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Daniel Corban
Canada
Newmarket
Ontario
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I am not clear on the question. In particular, the "two scoring bonuses" to which you refer.

The family member you gain from the "Family growth without room" is exactly that: a family member. It behaves and scores just like any other family member.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Keng Leong Yeo
Singapore
Singapore
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
aka Uncle
badge
小富靠勤,中富靠智,大富靠德。
mbmbmbmbmb
I am not sure if I am understanding your question correctly.

Are you asking if the extra person is using up an unused farmyard space and therefore, you do not incur the -1 point penalty for having the unused space?

If that is what you are asking, then the answer is no, your extra person shares a room with another family member. You will still incur the -1 point for having an unused space. You do however score +3 points for having the extra person, as every family member scores 3 points at the end of the game. This is regardless of whether they are sharing a room or not.

Hope this helps.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Derakon Derakon
msg tools
There are a few ways to get extra family members without having room for them in your house, though all but the Family Growth Even Without Room action require occupations and/or minor improvements. You just stack the family members.

In fact, I tend to stack my family members anyway, if for no other reason than to leave room for the house pet. My houses have one bedroom, one pet room, and then the rest are kitchens, offices, living rooms, etc...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Daniel Corban
Canada
Newmarket
Ontario
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Derakon wrote:

In fact, I tend to stack my family members anyway

I haven't played in a long time, but I have been stacking them for my last few dozen plays. It can sometimes annoy the other players if they want to know how many actions I have, but it's just easier for me.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
DC
United States
Grand Rapids
Michigan
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmb
dcorban wrote:
Derakon wrote:

I haven't played in a long time, but I have been stacking them for my last few dozen plays. It can sometimes annoy the other players if they want to know how many actions I have, but it's just easier for me.

I know plenty of people who do this (it does make things a lot easier). What does bug me is when a player holds their next family member in their hand, in preparation for making a move right after me. If I'm trying to decide what actions are "safe" for me to take later, I might accidentally think that they have fewer actions than they do. It's caused some trouble.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris F.
United States
Atlanta
Georgia
flag msg tools
dcclark wrote:
What does bug me is when a player holds their next family member in their hand, in preparation for making a move right after me. If I'm trying to decide what actions are "safe" for me to take later, I might accidentally think that they have fewer actions than they do. It's caused some trouble.

YES. I know a couple of people who do this just often enough that I'm in the habit of asking them if they have a family member in their hand every time I make a move.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Owen Notting
msg tools
Sorry "two scoring bonuses" was a poor choice of words. What I meant to say was that at the end of the game if both the points for the person, and the points for the used farm space were both included when taking the "family growth without room" action, a player would receive double the points benefits when scoring for taking this one action, which just didn't seem right...

I think I was under the impression that when a person was added in the "family growth without room" action the new person "lived" in the farmyard and not the house thus covering an unused space!

Anyway it all makes sense now, thanks everyone for the clarification.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Eugene van der Pijll
Netherlands
Den Haag
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
dcclark wrote:
What does bug me is when a player holds their next family member in their hand, in preparation for making a move right after me.

Play more Farmers of the Moor. This is against the rules if playing with this expansion.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Benjamin Kerenza
United Kingdom
Bradford
West Yorkshire
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
dcclark wrote:
dcorban wrote:
Derakon wrote:

I know plenty of people who do this (it does make things a lot easier). What does bug me is when a player holds their next family member in their hand, in preparation for making a move right after me. If I'm trying to decide what actions are "safe" for me to take later, I might accidentally think that they have fewer actions than they do. It's caused some trouble.

It's not as irritating as when my girlfriend repeatedly picks up people from the stack waiting to be born and plays them on the board. Fortunately I generally have a very good idea how many meeples peoples should have.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Matt Shields
United States
Portland
Oregon
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb

I think you might be scoring the game a little bit wrong, Owen.

Family members are worth 3 points each at the end of the game. It doesn't make any difference where they came from. It's always 3 points each.

However, family members don't use up spaces in your farm. Your HOUSE uses up spaces in your farm, but that's a separate issue. So if you have a 5 room house, then those 5 spaces are "used" for scoring purposes. It makes no difference if you have anyone living in those rooms or not.

The rules regarding having space in your house in order to take a family growth action are a separate thing from the rule for whether farmyard spaces are "used" for scoring purposes. They don't really have anything to do with each other.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris F.
United States
Atlanta
Georgia
flag msg tools
bjwells wrote:
It's not as irritating as when my girlfriend repeatedly picks up people from the stack waiting to be born and plays them on the board. Fortunately I generally have a very good idea how many meeples peoples should have.

Another classic! I don't know how many times I've said, "Hey...I think you just put an unborn child to work..."

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Derakon Derakon
msg tools
cjfoster wrote:
I don't know how many times I've said, "Hey...I think you just put an unborn child to work..."
I know farms have relied heavily on child labor in the past, but that seems a bit beyond the pale...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mike T
United States
Maryland
flag msg tools
dcclark wrote:
What does bug me is when a player holds their next family member in their hand, in preparation for making a move right after me. If I'm trying to decide what actions are "safe" for me to take later, I might accidentally think that they have fewer actions than they do. It's caused some trouble.

Ooh this one is annoying. I know someone who does this compulsively. We tried to get her to stop by having her hold something else in her hand, but that just created more confusion, and she placed unborn peeps, peeps of another color, and other assorted odds and ends on action spaces.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Daniel Corban
Canada
Newmarket
Ontario
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Putting one of the wooden stables on the stack of unused family member discs seems to help.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jarvis
United States
Brisbane
California
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
dcorban wrote:
Putting one of the wooden stables on the stack of unused family member discs seems to help.

We do the same. Another method involves keeping your extra family member tokens in their bag (aka uterus) until born.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.