Ascension: Chronicle of the Godslayer» Forums » General

Subject: Ipad App Has Me Hooked on Ascension rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Mike Stevens
United States
Nebraska
flag msg tools
I protect the sheep in our society from the wolves.
mbmbmbmbmb
I should tell you that I am a huge Dominion and Thunderstone fan. Although I do have a friend that owns and enjoys Ascension: Deckbuilding Game, I have never played the actual card game. Mainly because another friend told me the game was not very fun and that the cards were UGLY.

Yesterday I downloaded the free Ipad app (Ascension Lite) and I have to say, the game is extremely fun and Ive already played it about 20 times against the AI. YES, I do agree with my friend that the cards are ugly but the gameplay is so fun that I dont even notice the art anymore. I will certainly buy the full game app and I may even buy the actual card game.

If you have not played Ascension, this is a great way to try it before you buy it and I dont think you will be disapointed. Of course you either need an Ipad or an Iphone to give it a shot.

Great job to the original game designers for making a fun game and great job to the programmers/developers who ported it into an Ipad/Iphone app. You will sell alot more copies of the original game thanks to this app.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Shane Gelven
Australia
Morphett Vale
South Australia
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Yes it is a great game, I must say however that I think the artwork is pretty cool.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
desmodus
France
Bantzenheim
flag msg tools
badge
Die Ärzte, Bad Religioon, Bauhaus, Dom Perignon, In Extremo, Joy Division, Lacrimosa, New Model Army, Nirvana, Officine Panerai, Placebo, Rammstein, The Sisters of Mercy, Smashing Pumpkins, The Cure, The Mission, Die Toten Hosen, Umbra et Imago
mbmbmbmbmb
I've downloaded the app too and since yesterday played already 5 games against the AI.
And a lot more will follow in the next days, I' sure.

Great job done by the developers for this app.
I don't know if I will download the full app as I will mainly (only?) play alone against the AI, but we will see.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mike Stevens
United States
Nebraska
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
gelvo wrote:
Yes it is a great game, I must say however that I think the artwork is pretty cool.

I think the artwork is really just a matter of personal opinion. It doesnt affect the gameplay one bit. I like the majority of artwork in Dominion but there are some cards that I just hate, same thing with Thudnerstone. All I can say is enjoy the game for what it is, a fun, fast, deck builder.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
SoCal
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
It's nice indeed. I played the game f2f before and liked it, but I didn't know if the implementation would be any good. However the screenshots looked nice and polished. I just up and bought it, and it turned out to be a good purchase.

I am retroactively curious how the Lite version is different (AFAIK, no online, asynchronous play?), so I think I'll get that and try that out anyways.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mike Stevens
United States
Nebraska
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
ackmondual wrote:
It's nice indeed. I played the game f2f before and liked it, but I didn't know if the implementation would be any good. However the screenshots looked nice and polished. I just up and bought it, and it turned out to be a good purchase.

I am retroactively curious how the Lite version is different (AFAIK, no online, asynchronous play?), so I think I'll get that and try that out anyways.

All you can do in the lite version is the tutorial and play against the AI.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
SoCal
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Omahavice wrote:
ackmondual wrote:

hmmm, ironically enough, I could've just gotten away with the LITE version, as I often don't have enough time to do many other things. However, as this appears to be the only way to play online vs human opponents, it's still worth a look-see. I figured it'd only let you play x # of offline games before making you buy the full game (or perhaps wouldn't let you finish them at that point), so why bother with that "middle man"?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chrees M
United Kingdom
Wolverhampton
West Midlands
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I'm the same. Downloaded the lite, and fell in love. I was in Wayland's Forge today and measuring up a new starter for Malifaux, or Ascension. In the end, the figures won, only because I argued that with the real game, I'd have to teach people to play, where I can play to my heart's content with the AI.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mike Stevens
United States
Nebraska
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Omahavice wrote:
ackmondual wrote:

I was WRONG. I just found out tonight that you can play 2-player pass and play on the Ascension Lite version. I was messing around on the start/create game screen and thought that I was changing the AI difficulty level. There is a green bar and then 2 amber bars next to the oponents avatar. If you get rid of the bars you go into 2-player pass and play mode SWEET

This app just keeps getting better and better!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Max Maloney
United States
Portland
Oregon
flag msg tools
badge
"If trees could scream, would we be so cavalier about cutting them down? We might, if they screamed all the time, for no good reason." -Jack Handey
mbmbmbmbmb
If they add the promo and expansion, I might upgrade to the paid version.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Eric Leath
United States
Newark
OH
flag msg tools
badge
This too shall pass...
mbmbmbmbmb
Dormammu wrote:
If they add the promo and expansion, I might upgrade to the paid version.

They're working on it.

If any of you guys have the FULL version and want to play a few games, I'm always willing to go a few rounds.

Game Center nickname = Whisperhand
Email = blinkswift@gmail.com

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Scott Allen
United States
Arvada
United States
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I too downloaded the lite app... and I love Ascension now--I've log 20 games over the last two days. I would say that is love.

I like how quick it plays on the IPad. It really is a quick 5 minute time waster, while I'm waiting for my wife to get ready or something.

I too want to purchase the real game now, but there are other things on my wishlist that have priority.

But I will agree that I am not the hugest fan of the art. It doesn't affect gameplay though and that is really what is important to me. It would be nice to have beautiful art--I'm spoiled by Lord of the Rings LCG--but I can live with it.

I am considering purchasing the paid app.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chrees M
United Kingdom
Wolverhampton
West Midlands
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I actually like the artwork! Maybe I'm the only one though.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Daniel DuBois
United States
Hawaii
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
This game (on my iTouch) is making me consider buying an iPad.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Max Maloney
United States
Portland
Oregon
flag msg tools
badge
"If trees could scream, would we be so cavalier about cutting them down? We might, if they screamed all the time, for no good reason." -Jack Handey
mbmbmbmbmb
ddubois wrote:

It is much nicer on the iPad, no doubt. I will say I sometimes play this game over and over, semi-compulsively. But it's never very fun to me. I'd definitely never buy the physical game after playing the app.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
SoCal
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Dormammu wrote:
ddubois wrote:

It is much nicer on the iPad, no doubt. I will say I sometimes play this game over and over, semi-compulsively. But it's never very fun to me. I'd definitely never buy the physical game after playing the app.
Alot of the board games I play in video game format would only get played there. If there were no video game implementation of them, I wouldn't bother with with the f2f version either. Don't get me wrong, I'd still play some of them, but not buy them.

There are exceptions of course, but the above is generally true for me.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.