Subject: Should your zombies only go where ther is brains? rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Dru Dailey
United States
Texas
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
:zombie:Im always the zombies and every time we play the heroes say the zombies shouldnt be able to go where they choose they need to make there way to the meat or brains at all times. In the defend the manor scenerio the heroes all run to places they can search for item etc. and my zombies hurry there way to the manor and win. Heroes think even though heroes werent in adjacent spaces of the zombies they should go torwards them. Like the zombies can sense that there on the same L shape board but just 5 spaces away or out of line of sight.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Sergey Ovcharenko
Russia
Moscow
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Me too. And I've leasten a laugh of Hero player often about smart zombies follow willing their Dark Lord.
But it depend on you and your style of game leading.
If you would like to win... your Zombie should use their own brains to go. IMHO ;)
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
James
Canada
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Unless stated otherwise, zombies are only required to move towards an adjacent hero. As the zombie player it is important to use your zombies in a sort of tactical and strategic manner. Always moving in to attack the heroes is not always wise unless you only need to kill one more hero to win and you have a good chance of doing it.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
If Actions Speak Louder Than Words, Then Actions x2 Speak Louder Than Actions
United States
Las Vegas
Nevada
flag msg tools
badge
One of the Original Twelve
mbmbmbmbmb
Undying1 wrote:
zombieIm always the zombies and every time we play the heroes say the zombies shouldnt be able to go where they choose they need to make there way to the meat or brains at all times. In the defend the manor scenerio the heroes all run to places they can search for item etc. and my zombies hurry there way to the manor and win. Heroes think even though heroes werent in adjacent spaces of the zombies they should go torwards them. Like the zombies can sense that there on the same L shape board but just 5 spaces away or out of line of sight.

Zombies that are not adjacent can meander where ever they please. Don't listen to your friends. They are getting you to make poor tactical choices.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mark Evans
United States
Berlin
New Hampshire
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
My zombies are very smart. I hide in buildings, shuffle out of line of site. When I am satisfied that I have the numbers I need I make my move.

You can rationalize if you like that the zombies don't really sense the human presence too well until they are close by. Maybe they smell humans. There is some evidence to support this rationale.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Eric Spencer
United States
Wilmington
North Carolina
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
joebelanger wrote:
Undying1 wrote:
zombieIm always the zombies and every time we play the heroes say the zombies shouldnt be able to go where they choose they need to make there way to the meat or brains at all times. In the defend the manor scenerio the heroes all run to places they can search for item etc. and my zombies hurry there way to the manor and win. Heroes think even though heroes werent in adjacent spaces of the zombies they should go torwards them. Like the zombies can sense that there on the same L shape board but just 5 spaces away or out of line of sight.

Zombies that are not adjacent can meander where ever they please. Don't listen to your friends. They are getting you to make poor tactical choices.

This exactly. I've found that the difference between a good zombie player and a bad zombie player is this primary difference. New players tend to send all their zombies straight after the humans, which usually ends badly. Good zombie players use tactics and conserve resources so they can make more effective attacks.

If it helps to rationalize, think of yourself as the director of a horror movie. The zombies don't always act like you think they would, they act in whatever way delivers the best scare.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Christian
France
Lyon
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
Yeah, use your brain.
I like the director analogy, or the Dark Lord one if you prefer a more in-game rationalization.

Play by the rules, be clever, eat their brains.
That's my motto (and I'm not the zombie player that often) !
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tom Patterson
United States
Brooklyn
New York
flag msg tools
What were you expecting?
badge
I have overtext 'cause everyone else was doing it.
mbmbmbmbmb
Hurricanespence wrote:
If it helps to rationalize, think of yourself as the director of a horror movie. The zombies don't always act like you think they would, they act in whatever way delivers the best scare.

I always think of the game like a horror movie. Zombies never randomly search out people, they have to be pretty damn close to a human to know it should go to them, especially the slow moving variety as is depicted in LNoE. Have you seen The Walking Dead? They got away in one scene by covering themselves in bits of dead guy.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Spencer Myers
Canada
Edmonton
Alberta
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Yep, in the movies zombies almost always mill about aimlessly until a human gets too close and then they home in on the brains. This is represented by the 1 Square Away zombie hunger rule. If humans aren't that close the zombie won't really know that they're there.

The idea of sensing humans on the same L-shape is already taken into account by sensing humans 1 square away. Remember that the board is meant to represent a decent sized town, even though it's just a few squares across. Each square might look like it's only 2 metres wide, but it's probably a lot larger in real life.

Your friends are just trying to hamstring you tactically. Listen to them not. zombie

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
177ark
United States
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
They do, that's what the "Hunger" rule is for, other then that they move where ever you want. I got accused of being unzombie like when the Heroes got a hold of the shotgun and I spread all my zombies out so they weren't on the same square. If your players want an explanation tell them the zombies aren't just mindless, they're being controlled by a malevolent intelligence, the Zombie Player.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Junta Wombat
msg tools
There may be some advantages to a little early harassment, though.

If heroes can be kept from searching, they will remain very vulnerable, and hence even less likely to try to take on a zombie or two to reach an objective.

Such early harassment also means that heroes may be forced to "waste" a turn or two moving to new buildings. Since zombies typically win if the scenario time runs out, this may be useful.
Especially if the weather turns against the heroes and "heavy rain" restrict their movement outdoors, or they hit a locked door (I LOVE these cards as they diminish perhaps the most important hero advantage: speed).

Of course, if the heroes are lucky early on and get well-armed, then zombies need to be more circumspect.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.