3 Posts

Cosmic Encounter» Forums » Variants

Subject: Alien Power - Praetor rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Jon Gon
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
This is a rework of one of my old powers, I wanted to keep the original concept but simplify its implementation. The concept revolves around a powerful and militaristic alien race that encounters itself on the brink of extinction. Despite their might, the lack of population, forces them to become mercenaries and to sell conquered planets.

* Praetor can easily win encounters and obtain foreign colonies but those colonies will be lost just as easily.
* Since it uses only half the normal ships, ship management is very important.
* Praetor’s power is actually a bane and it will be in his best interest to self-zap whenever possible.
* Note that when whenever Praetor sells a foreign colony he’s not necessarily giving a foreign colony to another player. If he owns a colony in the buyer’s system he may sell the reestablishment of a home colony.
* The Super allows Praetor to bring unused ships to the game, increasing his population.

For more of my powers: http://www.boardgamegeek.com/thread/516486/my-homebrews-impr...

-------------------------------------------------

PRAETOR - Sells Foreign Colonies

Game Setup: Use half as many ships as usual.

You have the power of Conquest. As a main player or ally, each of your ships adds 10 to your side’s total in an encounter instead of 1.

At the start of another player’s turn use this power to try to sell one of your foreign colonies, of your choice, to the player whose turn is starting. To accept your offer, the player must offer you an artifact in return. If he decides to do so, your ships on the sold colony are returned to any of your other colonies and replaced by up to four ships from the buyer.

History: The Praetors are a race of prodigious warriors, however, millennia of cosmic warfare dramatically reduced their population. To sustain their empire, they now operate on a delicate balance between conquering new worlds and selling them for large profits.
Not Offense Mandatory Start Turn

Wild: At the start of your turn you may discard one card of you choice to establish a colony in any of your home planets with up to four ships. Afterwards, give this flare to the Praetor. If the Praetor is not playing, discard this flare to use it.
Offense Only Start Turn

Super: At the start of your turn you may bring two of your unused ships to the game and place them on any of your colonies. Alternatively, you may discard this flare to return all your ships from the warp.
Offense Only Start Turn

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Big Head Zach
United States
Atlanta
Georgia
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
In a sense, this resembles a Brundle-ing of Tick-Tock and Vulch, in that his total almost guarantee him victories (except the usual Anti-Matter / Loser duo), but if his opponents have Artifacts, they can automatically take you down some pegs in return for giving you those valuable victory-stoppers (EC and Quash) and Zaps.

The Tick-Tockishness is further enhanced by the idea that the colony he sells has the potential to give the offense an additional foreign colony, and possibly the game if he cannot choose one that doesn't.

I would definitely consider adding this to my proposed set of 30 Homebrews and see how it fares.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jefferson Krogh
United States
San Leandro
California
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
That's wild! I am intrigued. I'd like to see it in a game just to see it in play.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.