Space Hulk: Death Angel – The Card Game» Forums » Variants

Subject: (Almost) Fully Non-Random Combat rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Dave B.
United States
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Just a couple ideas I might try later. The die included with the game might as well have one face printed with "Rocks Fall - Everyone Dies".

1. Space marine attacks are a guaranteed kill. You still only kill one Genestealer at a time. Special Attack actions printed on the cards that require a die roll still get a roll to determine success/effectiveness (Zael's flame thrower, Claudio's Heroic Charge, etc).

2. Genestealer swarms of three or more attacking from the front are a kill. Swarms of two or more attacking from the rear are a kill. When defending a swarm from the front, you can spend any number of support tokens to increase the kill threshold by one. Likewise, each Broodlord in the swarm decreases the threshold by one. Again, if any marines have special defense roll conditions, roll to determine their success when its their turn to defend.

I'll probably have to tweak the balance a little (not sure if this will make the 2/1 spawns for a 6-marine game too easy, though the smaller formation should give them more opportunities to clump up). I think something like this could make combat a bit more deterministic and reward strategy over luck.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Karl
United States
Slippery Rock
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
badge
:l
mbmb
Interesting ideas for reducing the use of the die. But maybe the 3+GS swarms (front attack) or 2+GS swarms (rear attack) might reduce the Marines quite fast as it is right now?

Since the use of ST's while defending would decrease the killcount by one. Perhaps one solution would be to allow the use of Support Tokens when attacking Genestealers, to increase the number of GS's killed by one for each spent ST? Which would further lower the use of the cursed die.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Aaron Bohm
United States
Appleton
Wisconsin
flag msg tools
I can see one problem of"no-luck" combat would be that the games would be too programmed. You'd essentially take away all the suspense and turn each scenario into a puzzle. I also think that it would make it too easy.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dave B.
United States
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I just tried a 6-marine solo game this way, and the mechanics feel pretty good, but I think the 3/2 kill threshold is a little too lenient. It should probably be 2/2, since 2 Genestealers are the point at which it would be 50% likely for the marine to be slain (roll 0, 1, or 2). Since the space marines have a 50% kill probability with the die roll, this evens out the odds.

Even so, it still wasn't a walk in the park! You have to be quite mindful of position and attack usage so you don't get caught with your pants down. A couple unlucky spawns and flanks can really ruin you with no die roll to save you, and I lost a few marines that way.

So anyway, this works pretty well, but obviously some of the action cards would need to be amended/clarified. For example, Leon's Full Auto should get one guaranteed kill, but you have to roll for the other two like usual. And Claudio's Heroic Charge would be completely unchanged.

And yes, this does make the game feel a bit more like a puzzle game, but since I want a strategy game, that's how I like it. There's still plenty of randomness in the event and location decks to keep you alert.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris D
Italy
Muggiò
MB
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Eh, this variant is interesting, I'll try it sooner or later. It makes the game more brainy and strategic and eliminates some frustrations (how I hate to lose a marine to a single 'stealer.. sigh), of course in turn it makes everything a little less epic (rolling 5 when attacked by 4 'stealers? hell yeah!)...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
calpurnio pison

rafelbunyol
valencia
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
i've tested this variant this weekend. one player (6 marines), and two plays.

i like it, but the game is now too easy.

the first play, all six marines have keep live at the end. then, i decided to increase level of difficulty.

the second play, although i've play with a new rule: "only one attack by marine team", still all six marines have arrieved to the end, with victory.

i'll continue with more play-testings, because i like this non-random combat a lot.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.