Popular Tags: [View All]
Kaarin Engelmann
United States
Springfield
Virginia
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
I need a quote for a press release about why you attend WBC. When did you start coming to it? Why do you still attend? What do you like the best about it? Why should other people attend? Etc. Please help!

Thanks!
Kaarin
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris Geggus
United Kingdom
Brentwood,
Essex
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Speaking as someone who has managed to get there thrice (once on business and twice at own cost), how about I try to encompass that enthusiasm.

" I travelled all the way from the U.K to meet and compete against the best. I wasn't disappointed. Now I've just got to save up for the airfare once again. "

" If a Brit can make it across the Pond, why can't you? "

" I came, I saw, I gamed (lots!). "

" Worth every penny for the trip of a lifetime. "

" If you want to see lots of big guys in shorts - oh yes, and games by the shedload, WBC is the place to be. "

" So many games, so little time. "

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Joel Tamburo
United States
Justice
Illinois
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I've been coming to WBC since the beginning. I could go to conventions closer to home but there is a feeling of welcomeness at WBC that I have not found elsewhere. Also this is the place where boardgamers are the reason for the conference and not secondary to other interests.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dan Dolan
United States
Highland Lakes
New Jersey
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
I've never missed a WBC/Avaloncon.

The gaming and people make it flat out the best week of the year.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Gabe Covert
United States
Lexington
KY
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I laughed. I cried. It was better than Cats!

(note, I have never, not will I ever, attended this thing.)

ninja

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Greg Schmittgens
United States
Wichita
Kansas
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Why do I attend WBC? - I attend WBC to play the games I like with people who know how to play the games well. Learning new games is nice, but the best part for me is sitting down to play a game when everyone knows the rules, everyone does their best, and every win is a real achievement.

When did I start coming? - I attended the first WBC and have only missed two since.

Why do I still attend? - I came to the convention to play games. I keep returning because I've found a group of people I enjoy playing with and against.

What do I like best about it? - The scheduling. If I want to play a particular game, I know all I have to do is show up in Place X at Time Y.

Why should other people attend? - If you're a runner, you dream of running in the Boston Marathon. If you're a hiker, you dream of doing the Appalachian Trail. If you're a boardgamer, the week of WBC will give you the same breathless, exhausting, exhilarating high.

One final note - Most people prepare for WBC by practicing the games they're going to play. I also make pounds of beef jerky and hundreds of buttons - all to give away. These are my friends. I like bringing gifts.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Curt Collins
United States
Pittsburgh
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
At home a good third or more of my time is spent explaining rules to someone. At WBC, I can spend the whole week just playing.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Max Jamelli
United States
Chambersburg
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
GS in KS wrote:
I also make pounds of beef jerky and hundreds of buttons - all to give away. These are my friends. I like bringing gifts.

I'll trade you beef jerky for some Hazleton Pitza this year.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
jl alexander
United States
bellbrook
Ohio
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Spleen wrote:
At home a good third or more of my time is spent explaining rules to someone. At WBC, I can spend the whole week just playing.

I was planning on attending next year but maybe I shouldn't. I am new to boardgaming and I don't know all the rules to the games that I want to play.

I went to origins and felt really comfortable. Players were almost always patient and willing to help. If WBC is only for competitive purposes then I guess that I should rethink my plan for next year. That is kinda disappointing because it looks like so much fun.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Phil Sauer
United States
Willow Street
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
jalexone wrote:
Spleen wrote:

I was planning on attending next year but maybe I shouldn't. I am new to boardgaming and I don't know all the rules to the games that I want to play.

I went to origins and felt really comfortable. Players were almost always patient and willing to help. If WBC is only for competitive purposes then I guess that I should rethink my plan for next year. That is kinda disappointing because it looks like so much fun.

In the last two years I've attended WBC, I have played in zero tournaments. Friendly, open gaming 24/7 for nine days... that's what WBC means to me.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Joshua Githens
United States
Piedmont
South Carolina
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
jalexone wrote:
Spleen wrote:

I think what Curt was getting at is that he is no longer the only person that knows all the rules.

There will always be people that have questions and that is good for the hobby. Almost every event has a scheduled demonstration slot so you can brush up, or learn rules to a new game. The Demo time is scheduled for a full hour, but get there when it starts. I usually attend 2/3 each year just to check out something I may not normally play at home.

The WBC is very welcoming and inviting to players of all levels, do not be discouraged in the slightest. There is also a very large auditorium devoted to only Non-Tournament Open Gaming. Hundreds of games for hundreds of people available 24 hours a day.

Hope to see you there.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Max Jamelli
United States
Chambersburg
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Helios180 wrote:

The WBC is very welcoming and inviting to players of all levels, do not be discouraged in the slightest.

I want to echo what Josh said. 99% of the people who attend WBC are friendly, outgoing, and very helpful. There is a lot of competition, but much of that is friendly competition between friends.

Looking over JL's owned/rated list - there will be a lot of these games both in tournaments as well as open gaming.

For someone new to gaming, I can guarantee if you wanted to learn some new games, WBC is a good place to do so, either from the demos that Josh mentioned or through open gaming.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kaarin Engelmann
United States
Springfield
Virginia
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
See some of the quotes on the World Boardgaming Championships Facebook Group--they respond directly to your comments. Also look at our press release. There is a quote from someone who thinks WBC is a perfect first convention.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Richard Irving
United States
Salinas
California
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
jalexone wrote:

All of use were new boardgaming at one time. All of us had to learn the rules of the games we play.
Quote:

I went to origins and felt really comfortable. Players were almost always patient and willing to help.

"almost always". shake

At WBC, over 90% of the events are B (scheduled demo session) or C (simple enough taught at the event) tournaments. I GM Merchant of Venus and every year, most of the players who attend my demo try the event. At least one player who attended the demo has made the finals.

There is also the Sampler Showcase on Tuesday, which consists of demos of new games with a chance to play them.

In the Open Gaming, players will teach newbies how to play.

Quote:
If WBC is only for competitive purposes then I guess that I should rethink my plan for next year.

There is plenty of aforementioned open gaming that is not involved in a tournament.

But most games have are run as heats. I often play a heat in a game I enjoy with no intention of playing later rounds or even expectation of winning.

Every night at 11:00, there are "late night" lite events. Does this look like a bunch of over competitive gamers?

Quote:
That is kinda disappointing because it looks like so much fun.

The only losers at the WBC are those who don't try. If you enjoy boardgames, try the WBC. You will enjoy yourself!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris
United States
Ronkonkoma
New York
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
rri1 wrote:
Does this look like a bunch of over competitive gamers?

I question the effectiveness of this video in actually DRAWING people to WBC. I like to think we come in spite of this!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
jl alexander
United States
bellbrook
Ohio
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Helios180 wrote:
jalexone wrote:
Spleen wrote:

I think what Curt was getting at is that he is no longer the only person that knows all the rules.

There will always be people that have questions and that is good for the hobby. Almost every event has a scheduled demonstration slot so you can brush up, or learn rules to a new game. The Demo time is scheduled for a full hour, but get there when it starts. I usually attend 2/3 each year just to check out something I may not normally play at home.

The WBC is very welcoming and inviting to players of all levels, do not be discouraged in the slightest. There is also a very large auditorium devoted to only Non-Tournament Open Gaming. Hundreds of games for hundreds of people available 24 hours a day.

Hope to see you there.

Thanks to everyone for the reassurance. I am new and somewhat insecure because I don't have the opportunity to play many games. I am attending some local gaming activities but otherwise I rarely get to play.

I am really enjoying learning so many games. I am not very good even in the games that I have played but my enjoyment isn't diminished by the outcome although I admit that I would prefer to be competitive.

I can understand that serious gamers may feel that their experienced is lessened by having to constantly explain rules to newbies. My question was not a criticism. I simply want to make sure that I can be comfortable if I attend and I can't be comfortable if I am hindering the enjoyment of other attendees.

Now Richard about Merchant of Venus.

I played the "Rules Taught" game at Origins and LOVED it. I was terribly disappointed when I looked up the game and saw the price. Next year I hope that the game will be played because based on the replies I do plan to attend and will definitely play MoV if I do.

So, lets get the thread back to its intent. Sorry to all for the diversion.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Joshua Githens
United States
Piedmont
South Carolina
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Lemur wrote:
rri1 wrote:
Does this look like a bunch of over competitive gamers?

I question the effectiveness of this video in actually DRAWING people to WBC. I like to think we come in spite of this!

In fact this video has inspired a WBC Documentary being produced by Wind-Up Films.

Alex from Wind-Up and his crew should be there for most of the convention this year.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kaarin Engelmann
United States
Springfield
Virginia
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
Will Wind Up be covering Elchfest? Shame if they don't

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Joshua Githens
United States
Piedmont
South Carolina
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
kengelma wrote:
Will Wind Up be covering Elchfest? Shame if they don't

I'll call Alex and recommend it to him. I want some extreme suspense for the Elchfest part of the film. laugh

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Richard Irving
United States
Salinas
California
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Lemur wrote:

The point is that some people don't go the WBC because they think it is an ultraserious event where there isn't any fun. This shows otherwise.

The 99% of the events other than Slapshot, though not generally not as raucous, emphasize having fun with the game, good sportsmanship and playing to the best of your ability, even if you are just learning the game.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris
United States
Ronkonkoma
New York
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
You all know I was kidding, right?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Got two game tables and a microphone
United States
New York
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I attend to see Dan Dolan's smiling face. And I can't miss a con in the event he might win a seat...whistlewhistlewhistle

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Joel Tamburo
United States
Justice
Illinois
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Quote:
Thanks to everyone for the reassurance. I am new and somewhat insecure because I don't have the opportunity to play many games. I am attending some local gaming activities but otherwise I rarely get to play.

I am really enjoying learning so many games. I am not very good even in the games that I have played but my enjoyment isn't diminished by the outcome although I admit that I would prefer to be competitive.

I can understand that serious gamers may feel that their experienced is lessened by having to constantly explain rules to newbies. My question was not a criticism. I simply want to make sure that I can be comfortable if I attend and I can't be comfortable if I am hindering the enjoyment of other attendees.

Now Richard about Merchant of Venus.

I played the "Rules Taught" game at Origins and LOVED it. I was terribly disappointed when I looked up the game and saw the price. Next year I hope that the game will be played because based on the replies I do plan to attend and will definitely play MoV if I do.

So, lets get the thread back to its intent. Sorry to all for the diversion.

I'll also add that WBC tournaments for the most part have no issue with people playing a round them moving on. Also, unlike some other conventions there are no hidden costs - no event tickets, ribbons or other such things. you enter an event by showing up at the start time. Most of the time there are games enough for all but there are rare cases where there are not - in such a case players who brought copies of the game get to play.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Andrew DiGregorio
United States
West Babylon
New York
flag msg tools
badge
I'm a scary clown!
mbmbmbmbmb
rri1 wrote:

The 99% of the events other than Slapshot, though not generally not as raucous, emphasize having fun with the game, good sportsmanship and playing to the best of your ability, even if you are just learning the game.

That was most definitely NOT my WBC experience last year....

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kaarin Engelmann
United States
Springfield
Virginia
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
Does that mean you thought events were raucous or that you didn't find people who emphasized having fun?

If you didn't enjoy playing in the tournaments, but you are still interested in attending, you might try playing other types of games or skipping a couple of the tournaments. The people who are less fun to play with can usually be identified and avoided....you might ask around among some of the people who you enjoyed gaming with....

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
1 , 2  Next »   | 
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.