Recommend
17 
 Thumb up
 Hide
26 Posts
1 , 2  Next »   | 

Ticket to Ride» Forums » News

Subject: Breaking News: There will be more than one map collection! rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Alberto Giuffrida
Italy
Catania
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
If you read this page, http://www.gametrademagazine.com/public/defaultalliancealert...=
you'll notice this:

"Days of Wonder will premier their new Ticket to Ride Map Collection - an upcoming series of map expansions for the Ticket to Ride family. Each focus group attendee will receive a FREE demo copy of Ticket to Ride Map Collection Volume I - along with an overview on how to promote, demo, and sell it; and information on the product and marketing plans for the Ticket to Ride line."

There are two important clues: the word "series" in plural, and that "Volume I"... Ladies and gentleman, let's start the era of "Ticket to dè" or "Formula to ride"!

If I remeber correctly, Memoir '44 had map only expansion... How they were sold? Shrinkwrapped? Boxed?

Hope you find this post good
11 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dan C
United States
Florida
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
M44 was shrinkwrapped boards.

If it's just more of the same just on different maps with different tickets like switzerland, i'm not particularly interested. But if there are new rules and mechanics to go with like marklin then I'll be checking this out for sure.
2 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bryan Jensen
United States
Layton
Utah
flag msg tools
badge
Avatar
mbmbmbmb
jedimusic wrote:
M44 was shrinkwrapped boards.

If it's just more of the same just on different maps with different tickets like switzerland, i'm not particularly interested. But if there are new rules and mechanics to go with like marklin then I'll be checking this out for sure.

Not sure I'd go (again) for any TTR mechanism as fiddly as Marklin, but I agree with the germ of your idea. I like how the various Power Grid maps have some nuances for play, and I expect I will buy the TTR Map Collection only if similar.
4 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
U.S.A., Earth
flag msg tools
badge
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
quixotequest wrote:
jedimusic wrote:
M44 was shrinkwrapped boards.

If it's just more of the same just on different maps with different tickets like switzerland, i'm not particularly interested. But if there are new rules and mechanics to go with like marklin then I'll be checking this out for sure.

Not sure I'd go (again) for any TTR mechanism as fiddly as Marklin, but I agree with the germ of your idea. I like how the various Power Grid maps have some nuances for play, and I expect I will buy the TTR Map Collection only if similar.
If I buy a new TtR game, it's gotta have a new set of mechanics. If TtR Europe was just a Europe map, but identical to US (ie without the tunnels, ferries, and train stations), I wouldn't have bothered with it. It would've just been the smae difference.
2 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David
msg tools
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
Won't new maps need new cards as well, or am I being dumb? Is this for the app-games only?
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mike S.
Netherlands
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
New maps need new cards indeed. So they won't be sold like the Powergrid or the Formula De expansions.
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Eric Clason
United States
Cedar Rapids
Iowa
flag msg tools
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
ackmondual wrote:
quixotequest wrote:
jedimusic wrote:
M44 was shrinkwrapped boards.

If it's just more of the same just on different maps with different tickets like switzerland, i'm not particularly interested. But if there are new rules and mechanics to go with like marklin then I'll be checking this out for sure.

Not sure I'd go (again) for any TTR mechanism as fiddly as Marklin, but I agree with the germ of your idea. I like how the various Power Grid maps have some nuances for play, and I expect I will buy the TTR Map Collection only if similar.
If I buy a new TtR game, it's gotta have a new set of mechanics. If TtR Europe was just a Europe map, but identical to US (ie without the tunnels, ferries, and train stations), I wouldn't have bothered with it. It would've just been the smae difference.
I found the tunnels and ferries in TtR Europe fiddly. I liked tunnels in Switzerland (which is my favorite TtR expansion). There are more of them, so they have a signicant effect on the game. And there are tunnel cards to go with the tunnel tracks.

I will buy (at least the first volume) of new boards, whether or not they have new mechanism(s).
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tiwaz Tyrsfist
United States
Gladstone
Missouri
flag msg tools
designer
Yay, Overtext bought with supporter GG!
badge
Supporter #3170 - I hope the bonus gets high enough that I can buy GeekBadge Overtext!
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
This whole contest made me sad, because my one and only, bright shining Idea was to do a TTR London, with a map based off the London Tube Map.

I was about half-way through Layout before my wife pointed out to me that the London Tube map is actually a copyrighted work, and that the owner of said copyright defends it vigorously.

Apparently he's repeatedly reamed (in a legal sense) all sorts of T-Shirt companies for even doing parody maps in the same style.

So, much dejected, I failed to produce an entry...

C'est la vie.



That said, I can't wait to see what won. I hope they at least put up pictures of the "most surprising entries" even if they didn't choose to produce them. Like the Human Anatomy entry (apparently)...
1 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Alberto Giuffrida
Italy
Catania
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
My idea of "Formula to ride" was not only about shrinkwraped, but the idea that will have, for example, Italy/France/Contest Winner/Spain, volume 2 Great Britain/China/Japan/Australia, and so on...
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jonathan Warren
United Kingdom
Wisbech
CAMBRIDGESHIRE
flag msg tools
designer
badge
"Elves are very good at board games, and I'm NOT an elf!"
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
TiwazTyrsfist wrote:
I was about half-way through Layout before my wife pointed out to me that the London Tube map is actually a copyrighted work, and that the owner of said copyright defends it vigorously.
The London Underground already has a fan made TtR map. I would love to see an official LU map made though. The map design is owned by 'Transport for London'.

London Underground fan map here: http://www.pressefoto.dk/t2r/ (it is also pointed to on the TtR website: http://www.daysofwonder.com/tickettoride/en/content/fans/)
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ian Vincent
United Kingdom
London
Unspecified
flag msg tools
designer
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
The first one, Asia, has just started appearing on order forms for September...

http://previews.diamondcomics.com/public/default.asp?t=6&m=1...
4 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
CJ
United Kingdom
Colchester
flag msg tools
badge
Avatar
mb
DTee wrote:
The first one, Asia, has just started appearing on order forms for September...

http://previews.diamondcomics.com/public/default.asp?t=6&m=1...

Why are these things appearing in 3rd party publications and not direct from DoW? I had a quick look at their site and they've stated that nothing definitive will be released on these until October. Apparently they are player submitted designs in the same contest-style as they did with Small World.
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Scott Wheelock
Canada
Woodstock
New Brunswick
flag msg tools
badge
David Malki drew this!
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
Colour me partially disappointed. Asia sounds great, but I was expecting more than one board. Oh well. Power Grid and Formula D both set the precedent, so I shouldn't be too surprised.
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Steve Duff
Canada
Ottawa
Ontario
flag msg tools
badge
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
Interesting that it says "designed for 6 players", when there's only 5 train sets. Maybe the expansion comes with a new colour?
1 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
...sure...
Netherlands
Rijen
Noord Brabant
flag msg tools
badge
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
Teams of two might just mean 3 colors for 6 players.
2 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jonathan Warren
United Kingdom
Wisbech
CAMBRIDGESHIRE
flag msg tools
designer
badge
"Elves are very good at board games, and I'm NOT an elf!"
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
So this 'Map Collection' is a double sided board - I assume that one side is 'Asia' and the other side 'Legendary Asia'.

It shows a '1' on the side of the box so clearly this is going to be a series, as speculated.
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mousey
Netherlands
Je suis Paris
flag msg tools
ESSEN The Game: SPIEL '13 Featuring Jonah
badge
RIP Jonah Lomu 1975-2015
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Steve Duff
Canada
Ottawa
Ontario
flag msg tools
badge
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
BaSL wrote:
Teams of two might just mean 3 colors for 6 players.

Ah, right. I didn't see that.
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Alberto Giuffrida
Italy
Catania
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
So the winner design is probably "Legendary Asia". Who won the 10.000$ price?
1 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Steve Tanner
United States
Chicago
Illinois
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
swheelock wrote:
Colour me partially disappointed. Asia sounds great, but I was expecting more than one board.

I was too, especially based on DoW's contest description: "...your design will be included in the Ticket to Ride Map Collection to be introduced at Essen Spiel 2011, alongside brand new maps designed by Alan R. Moon himself"

1 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Derek Thompson
United States
Marion
Indiana
flag msg tools
badge
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
Nordic Countries and Marklin have purple and white trains. You just need to buy even more games to play with 6

Edit: Missed the team part.... I'll still buy it, but team play sounds terrible... RULES PLEASE
2 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
ShepparCon was a Blast!
Australia
KILLARA
VIC
flag msg tools
badge
Thank You to all those that attended BorderCon this year and made it special again!!!
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
Funny how there is no word of it yet on their website.
1 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
The Inquisitive Meeple
United States
Tallahassee
Florida
flag msg tools
badge
The Inquisitive Meeple
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
elgin_j wrote:
Why are these things appearing in 3rd party publications and not direct from DoW?

This is on par with past TTR releases. The Swiss expansion map was leaked by Alliance Distributors (or at least that a Swiss map was coming) and the TTR Card Game was leaked first in a gaming newsletter from Spain.
1 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
U.S.A., Earth
flag msg tools
badge
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
Alby87 wrote:
So the winner design is probably "Legendary Asia". Who won the 10.000$ price?
Also like to know how much of that is going towards taxes, and what country (s)he's a resident of.
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Thomas Vilfroy
United States
Greeley
Colorado
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
ackmondual wrote:
Alby87 wrote:
So the winner design is probably "Legendary Asia". Who won the 10.000$ price?
Also like to know how much of that is going towards taxes, and what country (s)he's a resident of.

I believe you had to be a resident of North America if memory serves....

correction -> just had to 18 years and not where the contest is prohibited or quebec ..here is the link :

http://cdn0.daysofwonder.com/tickettoride/en/img/tt_contest_...
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
1 , 2  Next »   |