Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Ramon Zarate
Canada
Vancouver
BC
flag msg tools
mb
Problem is you have to work a bit (or maybe just ask someone who likes it).

I'm feeling lazy so I'll just paste the review I wrote at funagain:

Samurai & Katana is a game that has not yet made a big impression on board gamming, for me, this was the game that made me stop playing Risk and start exploring every kind of board games. When I saw S&K was "back in stock", I thought I might as well post my coments on the game.

The only real problem the game has is the horrendously written rules! It took me maybe 5 games to get them right (at least I think I got them right). Most problems people has with the game on the internet comes from a poor understanding of the rules, and it's incredible how diferently the game's played from the actual rules (ahem... what I think are the actual rules).

Once you get the rules, the game's very simple to teach to new players and games are always very balanced and very interesting, the aspect I like the most is that you need money to keep your forces moving, and since castles allow for free movement, their placement makes a very important decision on the strategical/tactical aspect of the game.

Some games can get to be VERY long, but never boring, also, we've had some very fast games and in that case we usually play again.

The games plays best with 5-6 players, I just LOVE a 6 player S&K game! Borders are tight, deals are important, winning combats the honorable way is a serious thing to consider (because there's always an easy option: kill the samurai, or revolt the province), the deck does feel like it has very few cards, but it also somewhat balances card use, as if you use a powerful card, you can expect it will be on some one elses hands very soon, some times ruining your plans. Some times the player with the least honor (you need honor points to win the game) can be the richest player, as he does has a very important influence on power balance. Situation around the capital gets very intense, and some warriors prefer to stay away, just making sure no one gets an easy shot for the control of the whole imperial province.

In simple words, S&K feels very strategic and very authentic you face constant decisions and must have a good balance between economic, militar and politic power, yet, the game is in escense very simple. The more you play the better it gets, it's been 3 years of board gamming for me (and I've spent a VERY good part of my money on them) and S&K is always an option I'm willing to play!

Beware the rules are a very good example of how a rulebook can ruin a great game!

If you are looking for something new over A&A and Risk, then I would seriously recommend S&K.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ettore Gislon
Italy
Milan
Lombardia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
You are absolutely right, I remember that every time I tired to play this game, the rules never helped neither before neither in-game.
I'll give it another try soon (I just got space hulk OMGWTFBBQ :Q )

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.