Joel Gabelman
United States
Beachwood
Ohio
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Title is self explanatory.

Let me know!

I plan on being there Saturday, maybe Sunday too.

-JRG

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brandon Pennington
United States
Springfield
Missouri
flag msg tools
designer
badge
If your orange juice doesn't burn on the way down, then you need more vodka!
mbmbmbmbmb
Sure I will be there on Saturday all day and evening if you want to get some games in. I would be happy to teach. You will have to provide the copy though

Evening would probably work a bit better for me as I plan on spending most of the day in the dealer hall as I am not getting there until Friday.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mark Buetow
United States
McHenry
Illinois
flag msg tools
Combat Commander Archivist
badge
Move! Advance! Fire! Rout! Recover! Artillery Denied! Artillery Request! Command Confusion...say what?!
mbmbmbmbmb
Whoa! We will have three hardcore CC players there this year Thursday to Friday. It'd be great to play with some new folks! Perhaps we can plan something?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Joel Gabelman
United States
Beachwood
Ohio
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
No chance of any Saturday players????

I might be able to work things out for Friday if need be!

Looking forward to learning!

Cheers,

-J

Note: Does anyone have a copy???

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
Providence
Rhode Island
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
What's "GenCon"?whistle
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Art DeFilippo
United States
Herndon
Virginia
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I will be attending and in town from Wens. To Sat. I would be glad to play, you bring the game. Looks like we can all kept you busy.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brandon Pennington
United States
Springfield
Missouri
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I said I would be there Saturday......... I can bring my copy if it was a certainty we could play. I don't want to lug that around in my backpack all day if I can help it

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Joel Gabelman
United States
Beachwood
Ohio
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
You bring it Saturday - I'll be there to learn and play. Just a reminder, I'm a newbie!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mark Buetow
United States
McHenry
Illinois
flag msg tools
badge
Move! Advance! Fire! Rout! Recover! Artillery Denied! Artillery Request! Command Confusion...say what?!
mbmbmbmbmb
Argh! I meant thru Sunday. I think we can play Saturday.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mark Buetow
United States
McHenry
Illinois
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Our group of 3 or 4 will be playing an RPG from 1-5 on Saturday but we're free the rest of the day. Anyone want to make our own u official event and pick a time to meet and play?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Joel Gabelman
United States
Beachwood
Ohio
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I'm planning on coming up early Saturday (should arrive around 10am +/-. Depending on how amazing the con is, I'll stay on Sunday; however, the current plan is to turn around Saturday night.

How long is a game? I'd like to leave (assuming I don't stay) Indy at the latest around 9pm.

Thoughts? At the very least, even if I watched for 30-min - 1 hour, that should give me enough info to see how the game mechanics work.

Let me know! Cheers,

Joel

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mark Buetow
United States
McHenry
Illinois
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
An average paced game by experienced players clocks in around 90 minutes, with a new player maybe two hours.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Joel Gabelman
United States
Beachwood
Ohio
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
The exhibit hall closes at 6pm. I'd play at 6:30. I can leave around 9pm I'm assuming and make it back to Chicago around 1am. I'll just have to check w/ my buddy I'm going with.

Otherwise, I'd happily play at 5:30 as well. That actually might work better.

Thoughts?

-Joel

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mark Buetow
United States
McHenry
Illinois
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I'd say 6:30 since we'll probably want to eat after our RPG.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mark Buetow
United States
McHenry
Illinois
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Well, Elmsley4 and I managed to get together to play on Satuday night her at GenCon. We played in the "Pick Up/Game Library" room which actuallyncost us $6 each butnhas the advantage that you don't get booted by there being events. (I think some hotels may have some free open gaming but I wasn't inclined to gomall over the place. The accomodations, even costing, were just fine.)

I took the Germans and he the Russians in a game of Fat Lipki. We played with open hands and not for blood as we walked through everything. I think he enjoyed the game and it was a good one, one that was certainly not a foregone conclusion. He thought he was in good shape having wiped out my guys on my right, giving him a free path to exitn units. Until I pulled a weapon team with IG 18 as a reinforcement. On the left, he massed his troops somewhat cautiously until he could get his Medium MG up to start shooting. Then Gretchko appeared ready to help but we called the game since Joel's ride was there.

I had a great time. Since it's CC, even Fat Lipki never really gets old plus there's the satisfaction of seeing the fire kindled in the breast of a new player.

But, of course, I'll Let Joel speak for himself... laugh
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Joel Gabelman
United States
Beachwood
Ohio
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Mark was an amazing teacher!

My friend Ross and Conrad were there, and Conrad just picked up the game so Mark was on triple duty: teaching with me and fielding questions from Ross & Conrad. One of Mark's wargame friends came over and was helpful as well, answering some questions on strategy.

Playing open handed helped a lot, and it was extremely useful to get tips not only on how to play MY cards, but the how's & why's Mark played his cards!

Candidly, my only real experience with war games has been with Hammer of the Scots. I was thinking of getting Command & Colors (still might) b/c I hear it's first, a great game and send, easier and more approachable than CC:E. After my lesson w/ Mark, I'm going straight for CC:E. The main problem I see playing it is finding people to play!

Learning this game from Mark was one of my most anticipated points of my one day at GenCon, and as expected, my highlight!

Great game!

Mark - I might not make it to 200 plays, but I'll be ready for a real match / re-match the next time!!!

Thanks again!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mark Buetow
United States
McHenry
Illinois
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Awesome! Combat Commander as a GenCon destination? Go war-games!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brandon Pennington
United States
Springfield
Missouri
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Thanks to Mark for organizing everything and thanks to Marc for the great game. I really enjoyed playing and seeing others play some wargames there. I wish I could have made all four days, but the two I was there I had a really good time.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mark Buetow
United States
McHenry
Illinois
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Glad you got to play, Brandon! We play a lot at home and it's good to play with new opponents when we get the chance.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Joel Gabelman
United States
Beachwood
Ohio
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Mark!

I just won the base game with Normandy expansion!!!!

AND, I also won Paths of Glory!

Between the math trade where I got:

Washington's War
Conflict of Heros: Awakening the Russian Bear

and the games I already owned: Hammer of the Scots and Napolean (still not 100% clear on this one), I'm going down the road of a war gammer. I never thought I'd say I like war games after my first experience 10+ years ago trying to go solo through Panzer Leader. Nato symbology and a long rule book with 6 pt font combined with tons of small yellow cardboard cubes.... I thought I'd never want to play a war game. Look what you did to me!

Next year (I think I have enough new games to carry me for a while), I'll jump on Fighting Formations if I still have the bug (which will be dependent on finding some people to play!)

Note: I looked for your friend on BGG and couldn't find him. Do you know his name on BGG so I can reach out?

Cheers, and thanks again!

-Joel

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mark Buetow
United States
McHenry
Illinois
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Great catch! Of course, Normandy has Brits so you'll ne needing Med soon...

The guy I thought of is
Chris Montgomery
United States
Joliet
Illinois
flag msg tools
Dear Geek: Please insert the wittiest comment you can think of in this text pop-up. Then times it by seven.
badge
The Coat of Arms of Clan Montgomery - Scotland. Yes, that's a woman with the head of a savage in her hand, and an anchor. No clue what it means, but it's cool.
mbmbmbmbmb
. He's in Joliet which is at least closer than Du Quoin.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris Montgomery
United States
Joliet
Illinois
flag msg tools
Dear Geek: Please insert the wittiest comment you can think of in this text pop-up. Then times it by seven.
badge
The Coat of Arms of Clan Montgomery - Scotland. Yes, that's a woman with the head of a savage in her hand, and an anchor. No clue what it means, but it's cool.
mbmbmbmbmb
Yep - I've Geekmailed you. I don't make it to the City proper very often, but I'm always willing to try to work something out. I don't have a CC regular who lives by me, that I know of. Hopefully we can figure out something. Also - there's quite a few BGGers from Chicago - if you just look for them by location you might find someone really close by.

Cheers!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mark Buetow
United States
McHenry
Illinois
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Plus now you both have someone to share gas money with for your trip down to Southern Illinois! laugh
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris Montgomery
United States
Joliet
Illinois
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I've been thinking that it would be a good time if we could get a few fellas to come visit you and play 4 or 5 scenarios of CC over a two-dayer. But with a baby on the way for me in Sept., those are long odds.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mark Buetow
United States
McHenry
Illinois
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
We should plan a CC Illinois con!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
1 , 2  Next »   | 
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.