Wargames» Forums » General

Subject: Magazine Game Storage - what pizza box? rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Captain Nemo
United Kingdom
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
So how do you store your magazine games.

You have:
* a magazine,
* a game board/map,
* a set of rules,
* bag(gies) with the counters in.

What do you put them all into for storage?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Enrico Viglino
United States
Eugene
OR
flag msg tools
Slowed - BGG's moderation policies have driven me partially from here
badge
http://thegamebox.byethost15.com/smf/
mbmbmbmbmb
I pull the rules out of the mag,
wrap them around the map, and put
'em in a folder by time period.

The counters go in baggies, labeled by
game, sorted by time period.

Magazines go in a stack somewhere once I read them.
Before that, they would sit in the bathroom.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Alfred Wallace
United States
Champaign
IL
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
If they don't have a big baggie to go in, I put the whole works into a manilla envelope, and thence into a plastic tub. They're generally not in order within the tub...this was more of a problem when I had hundreds of magazine/ziploc games rather than a dozen.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Leo Zappa
United States
Aliquippa
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I get a 1/2" 3-ring binder, and (4) clear sheet protectors. Magazine goes in one protector, map goes in a second one, rules (pulled from mag) goe in a third, and counters (once placed in a ziplock baggie) go in the fourth protector. I photocopy the magazine cover and stick it in the clear cover sleeve of the binder, and make a spine insert for the binder as well. I'll take a few pics later to illustrate. Works great and allows me to readily view the games without digging through stacks of magazines!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bill Lawson
United States
Rutland
Vermont
flag msg tools
I drink and I know things
badge
Night gathers and now my watch begins
mbmbmbmbmb
alfredhw wrote:
If they don't have a big baggie to go in, I put the whole works into a manilla envelope,

Ditto. I store them in boxes and they are sorted by topics.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Martin Gallo
United States
O'Fallon
Missouri
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Currently sitting on a shelf with map, rules and counters inside the magazine. Magazines sorted by issue number. I have to be a tad careful when pulling them out.

I just this week determined that happiness would be a few filing cabinets with hanging files - again sorted by issue number. I could use the tabs to help locate the issue.

I have (I think) six shelves worth (some are still in boxes so I am not exactly sure) so maybe three filing cabinets?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
Dayton
NV
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Magazine bag/s (sometimes take two) for the magazine and map, then small ziplocks for counters, placed inside the magazine bag.

It's not that expensive, easy to see what's inside, and looks nice.

You can even get magazine boxes to store them in.

Mag bags and boxes are available at comic shops.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Judy Krauss
United States
Pittsburgh
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
but I'm not the only one
badge
My hands are small, I know, but they're not yours, they are my own
mbmbmbmbmb
Mostly I keep mine in oversized ziplock plastic bags, but if a magazine game has a lot of pieces that I want to sort in a tray, then I put it in a box. I've been thinking about putting them all in boxes.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Leo Zappa
United States
Aliquippa
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
desertfox2004 wrote:
I get a 1/2" 3-ring binder, and (4) clear sheet protectors. Magazine goes in one protector, map goes in a second one, rules (pulled from mag) goe in a third, and counters (once placed in a ziplock baggie) go in the fourth protector. I photocopy the magazine cover and stick it in the clear cover sleeve of the binder, and make a spine insert for the binder as well. I'll take a few pics later to illustrate. Works great and allows me to readily view the games without digging through stacks of magazines!

Here are a few pics to demonstrate what I'm doing with these:

Some might say it's a bit OCD and maybe it is, but I find that by making the games more visible on my game shelf, they are much more likely to be remembered and get played. It's not really all that expensive either. The 3-ring binders are about $4, and you can get a package of sheet protectors fairly cheap as well. I'd say all in all, a magazine game can be stored like this for about $5 per game.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
D T P
United States
Pikeville
North Carolina
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
desertfox2004 wrote:
desertfox2004 wrote:

Here are a few pics to demonstrate what I'm doing with these:

Some might say it's a bit OCD and maybe it is, but I find that by making the games more visible on my game shelf, they are much more likely to be remembered and get played. It's not really all that expensive either. The 3-ring binders are about $4, and you can get a package of sheet protectors fairly cheap as well. I'd say all in all, a magazine game can be stored like this for about $5 per game.

Looks really nice. But I think I'd need a lot more shelf space!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Michael Wintz
United States
Mesa
Arizona
flag msg tools
Boo!
mbmbmbmbmb
Very, very nice, Leo!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris Drake
United States
Springfield
Missouri
flag msg tools
I like pizza!
badge
I LIKE IT!!! ????
mbmbmbmbmb
Looks good Leo, I was thinking about doing the same thing with my ASLSK expansion kit since it didn't come with a box. Instead of a page protector for the counters I am going to sort them into the little zip baggies from Hobby Lobby and then put them into a zippered pouch that is used to hold pencils and what not that are made to be put in 3 ring binders.
I'll post pics next week when I get this done.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
Vista
California
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Your binders look great, although where do you put your counters once you punch them?

I use FedEx Office paper boxes, and my daughter does the box art. They are a little big, though. I'm thinking of trimming them down to half size to save pace, since I will ultimately have ~100 of them.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Marco Arnaudo
United States
Bloomington
Indiana
flag msg tools
designer
badge
"My spoon is too big!"
mbmbmbmbmb
My technique:
counters go in GMT counter tray - it keeps them well organized but more importantly prevents the counter-baggie-bulging-out-of-the-magazine-bag effect. Then counter tray, magazine and maps go in an envelope - manilla envelope, plastic envelope, envelope the game came in, anything that can hold everything and is around at that time. Then envelopes can be aligned / piled on the shelf.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Captain Nemo
United Kingdom
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Interesting ideas guys - many thanks. If anyone else has another concept to post go ahead and let us know.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Enrico Viglino
United States
Eugene
OR
flag msg tools
Slowed - BGG's moderation policies have driven me partially from here
badge
http://thegamebox.byethost15.com/smf/
mbmbmbmbmb
I like to store ALL the counters from all the games
in one big box. It makes the games different every time.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Leo Zappa
United States
Aliquippa
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Neopeius wrote:
Your binders look great, although where do you put your counters once you punch them?

I use FedEx Office paper boxes, and my daughter does the box art. They are a little big, though. I'm thinking of trimming them down to half size to save pace, since I will ultimately have ~100 of them.

The counters, once punched, go in a ziplock baggie, which is then placed in a sheet protector that has a top that closes, so that the baggie doesn't fall out. I get those sheet protectors from Staples.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Eric Lai
Hong Kong
Happy Valley
None
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
The counters if punched go into small ziplock bags, and the whole then goes into a large plastic bag.

These are then arranged on the shelf in topic order.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.