Gerrit Geens
Belgium
Langdorp
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
Finally managed to obtain a copy of this great game.
After about 5 plays it dawned on us that we were probably misinterpreting the text on the Booster Pod & Statis Beam tech cards:

Booster Pod: ...increase the value of one of your unplaced ships by one point.
Stasis Beam: ...decrease the value of one of your unplaced ships by one point.

Until now when using these cards we had just treated the value of the dice as one higher/lower but we did not actually change the value of the dice (in other words: the top dice face was not changed). Of course this can make quite a difference for the next player(s) (e.g. in the case of the Lunar Mine facility). We now realize that our latest interpretation makes more sense but just checking...

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David Hoffman
United States
Cortlandt Manor
New York
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
We've always played with changing the actual dice as they go out onto the board. Making the changes "virtual" would affect more than just the Lunar Mine.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Gerrit Geens
Belgium
Langdorp
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
ohbalto wrote:
Making the changes "virtual" would affect more than just the Lunar Mine.
Indeed! The Lunar Mine was just an example. Making the change 'virtual' instead of 'real' has serious consequences hence my question.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Michael Edwards
United States
Everett
Washington
flag msg tools
YA R'LYAH
badge
Phnglui mglw nafh Cthulhu R'lyeh wgah nagl fhtagn! With cheeze!
mbmbmbmbmb
We have also played that you physically change the die.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Rik Van Horn
United States
Livonia
New York
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
+1 physical changer

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Fred MacKenzie
United States
Florence
Arizona
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
No doubt about it. You do physically change the die. Thanks for playing.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brandon Freels
Australia
Rooty Hill (Sydney)
NSW
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
I am reminded how many people didn't grow up playing games when they get a Polarity Device and have to physically flip the die over to see the value on the other side when cogitating their move.

I tell them that they can subtract the current die value from 7 and it is a big revelation for them. Happy to be of service.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
New Hampshire
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
Yup. Physically change the die.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Gerrit Geens
Belgium
Langdorp
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
Many thanks for the answers everyone gave. thumbsup
Apart from the answer to my question I also learned that 'dice' is plural and 'die' singular (English is not my native language)... modest

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bruce Gazdecki
United States
Lindsey
Ohio
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Spittledung wrote:
I am reminded how many people didn't grow up playing games when they get a Polarity Device and have to physically flip the die over to see the value on the other side when cogitating their move.

I tell them that they can subtract the current die value from 7 and it is a big revelation for them. Happy to be of service.

In the vast majority this is true. However, I did buy a set of 5 dice once, and one of the dice does not follow this rule. Instead of the opposite sides being 1:6, 2:5, and 3:4, they were 1:6, 2:3, and 4:5. I rarely use that die since it just feels wrong, even though it probably doesn't make any difference at all.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jason Baum
United States
Portland
Oregon
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
here's my question tho... say I have the booster pod AND I have more than one fuel... may I increase the value on more than one die if I can pay the fuel, or is it only one die per turn?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jason Baum
United States
Portland
Oregon
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
nevermind, found a thread which clarified that for me..

http://boardgamegeek.com/thread/577489/stasis-beambooster-po...

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brian Dudte
United States
Ostrander
Ohio
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Per the rules, you can only use the card once per turn. Therefore, you can only increase/decrease 1 time.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Peter Clinch
United Kingdom
Bedford
Bedfordshire
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Hi,

Played this for the first time yesterday, and I had 4 dice and needed to reduce a 1 to zero (in order to make a triple)- is that legal?

cheers
Pete

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris Berger
United States
Round Lake
Illinois
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Little_Black_Dog wrote:
Hi,

Played this for the first time yesterday, and I had 4 dice and needed to reduce a 1 to zero (in order to make a triple)- is that legal?

cheers
Pete

Not unless your die has a 0 on it.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
New Hampshire
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
Sorry, no...ship values may not be less than zero or more than six...and they do not wrap around, either (you cannot use a stasis beam to decrease a 1 into a 6)

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.