Keith
United States
Vienna
Virginia
flag msg tools
Brevity exceeds allocated space
mbmbmbmbmb
Saw this hilarious idea on battleshipgalaxians.com:

[quote="Filthy the Clown"][quote="OldSarge"]I saw some asteroids on sale somewhere for another game system. I might get those. Or buy my own Styrofoam balls & make some up. Maneuvering around the terrain is one thing, but having the terrain maneuver around YOU?

Or maybe those@#$% gum-balls that fall out of that tree in the front yard. They look lethal...[/quote]

Asteroids with random movement tables, just to spice it up a bit. Or,just roll them across the board, destroying anything in their path. [/quote]
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Aram
United States
Madison
Wisconsin
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Haven't played it yet (arriving tomorrow!) but this sounds like a good variant.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Adam B.
United States
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
You could do this pretty easy. Game comes with a 10-sided die, it's a hex based system so you could do something like

A - straight ahead
B - ahead left
C - ahead right
D - straight behind
E - behind left
F - behind right
G - stay still
H - stay still
I - stay still
J - player's choice!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Where were you hiding when the storm broke?
Philippines
Manila
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I'd suggest the asteroids move in more or less the same direction for the duration of the game...it sounds strange to me that a 'roid might be floating away from me one round, then suddenly drift the opposite direction, right into my ship

...of course I'd then suggest that every now and then, more roids spawn on the edge of the map that's opposite the direction they are moving
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Adam B.
United States
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
That would work too. You could roll after each set of turns to see if an Asteroid enters the board and from what side of the map (like 1/2/3/4 referring to the four sides of the map and 5-10 = no asteroid), then determine what "row" it starts in along that side via dice. Then have it travel in a straight line across the board moving X hexes per turn (could even randomize this via dice if so inclined), exiting on the other side.

I definitely wouldn't play this way all the time, but it would make for a fun occasional "Asteroid Field" scenario different from the one in the rulebook.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Read the rulebook, plan for all contingencies, and…read the rulebook again.
United States
Austin
Texas
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Okay. Why would an asteroid move randomly???
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Wilhuf T
msg tools
BradyLS wrote:
Okay. Why would an asteroid move randomly???

Collisions with other random asteroids that randomly alter trajectories.

Empire strikes back anybody?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.