ketchupgun
Canada
Toronto
Ontario
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmb
Our group of 4 likes to play Sid Meier's Civilization: The Board Game. It has a global conquest kinda theme, it has variable powers, its got power ups...

besides the fanatsy theme (which we can take or leave) of D&D:CoN, does this deserve a spot on my shelf?

any thoughts you can share is greatly appreciated.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kiren Maelwulf
Canada
Richmond
BC
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
If you have a consistant group of 4, get Chaos in the Old World imo. I like Nerath more because I can play with less than 4. While 4 is fine I would choose Chaos every time.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
ketchupgun
Canada
Toronto
Ontario
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmb
sorry..i guess what i mean is, is this gonna replace Civilization. (I totally understand that Civ is not easy to teach to newbies, where this looks like it is) but that's not really a concern there, since it maxes out at 4, and we all know the game. (in other situations, we can always place Carc

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jim Patterson
United States
Iowa City
Iowa
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I can't see how it would "replace" Civilization (although admittedly I haven't played Nerath yet and only played Civ once). Nerath is basically a beat-em-up light wargame akin to Axis and Allies.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
ketchupgun
Canada
Toronto
Ontario
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmb
yeah, i guess after looking at this further...C0N is MUCH more combat based, because it IS a wargame, unlike Civ, which has a big world map and has combat, the combat isn't the main point...though for some it could be.

Honestly the last game like this sorta grand scale miltary conflict i played was Risk! So, i guess I'll have to buy this, as there is obviously a missing space on my shelf for CoN.

thx all. Friggin gorgeous game though!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
stephen biggs
England
flag msg tools
Civilization didn't quite work for me. Not sure why...
The nation "cards" are not well made, and ends up seriously crumpled.
Some of the victory conditions were too hard to achieve (culture)
And the random map setup never seemed to be balenced.

CoN has a better game balence. Havn't yet played it enough to find if it has any problems...?

If you want a complex game about improving technology, Through the ages is better than either. But the games wooden bits are so pitiful they have to be replaced. I threw those in the bin about 5 seconds after opening the box.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.