Subject: Alternative to extra IP rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Eric Fletcher
United States
California
flag msg tools
mbmb
It seems like giving the US extra IP makes it almost impossible for the USSR to take over Europe, so I've been pondering alternative balancing features.

If the real issue is the first round coup in Iran, what if there was simply a -2 penalty to USSR coup attempts in Iran until some triggering condition was met? This would also avoid the headline Middle East Scoring for 4 VP case.

Possible conditions for ending the -2 penalty:
1. After the US first action round
2. After the US adds influence to Iran
3. After the Defcon drops to 4
4. After the Defcon drops to 2
5. After the first turn

A more dramatic change would be to swap the stability numbers on Iraq and Iran - this would give the US a "good" coup target in the first turn, and make the Late War Iran event stronger.

Either way, it would encourage a greater variety of USSR openings than the basic Coup Iran, Coup somewhere, take over Aisa.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Some Guy
United States
Portland
OR
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Why is it difficult for the USSR to take over Europe with the extra IP?

I have played with the US getting extra IP many times, and it is often the hardest fought games and either side seems to have an equal chance to win. Oh and many of the games, the USSR gets control of Europe. After all, there are three powerful cards that, if played right, can help the USSR do just that.

I am not sure I understand the issue you are raising.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jason Weed
United States
Memphis
Tennessee
flag msg tools
how sweet the sound...
badge
Fear The Hat !!!
mbmbmbmbmb
giving VP is also an option, as is Chinese Civil War, or just using the optional cards and the new setup (although I still like to give the US 1 inf even with the new stuff). Also keeping the scoring cards and red scare to occur once in the early war helps prolong, thus helping the US (do this by moving them to mid war if played in turns 1 or 2). I would say I wouldn't be crazy about a modifier and I am not a fan of CCW either.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Proudly annoying Capitalists since 1959
Cuba
Santa Clara
flag msg tools
badge
Heaven has no rage like love to hatred turned, Nor hell a fury like a woman scorned
mbmbmbmbmb
Although perhaps the suggested variant would help, It adds another set of rules to the game.
Just adding 1 extra IP to Iran seems to help in combination with the Optional cards.

I agree that having 3 extra IP in europe seems to eliminate the red locomotive effect of the early war.

Cheers, Haring
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.