Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Justin L
United States
Lexington
South Carolina
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
So, after a couple of months without playing, my wife and I decide to play Pandemic again. Tonight was only our fourth game, but it turned out very bad. Our first game was 4-player with two friends who owned the game. We lost pretty bad on that one. Afterwards, we bought the game and won our first 2-player Introductory game. For our third game, we were at my in-laws and played a 4-player Introductory game with her mom and sister, and managed another win on the very last turn.

Since we know the game fairly well now, we decided to move up to Normal tonight. It didn't work out too well...

I drew the Operations Expert and my wife drew the Scientist.

London, Paris, and Cairo all started out with 3 cubes. Ho Chi Minh, Baghdad, and Karachi got 2, while Hong Kong, Toronto, and Algiers all began with 1.

I started with San Fransisco, Paris, New York, and Sao Paulo, and my wife began with St. Petersburg, Milan, Hong Kong, and Baghdad in her hand.

Round 1
I (OpEx) played first. Since we had plenty of blue cards to start out, and two blue cities had 3 cubes already, we decided we should go for a blue cure right away. Our first plan of action was to meet in New York to give my wife the NY card, and then meet again in Paris to trade that one.

1. Drove to Chicago.
2. Drove to Toronto.
3. Treated the single cube in Toronto.
4. Drove to New York.

I drew Algiers first, then an Epidemic! 3 cubes for Jakarta.

The first city to be infected was Paris, which caused an outbreak in Paris, with a chain reaction next door in London. Ouch, 2 outbreaks already. The next infection was in Baghdad, giving it its 3rd cube. Not looking too good...

We decided to stick with the original plan for now, since we needed to clean up those blue cubes anyway. My wife's turn went as follows:

1. Drove to Washington.
2. Drove to New York.
3. Received my New York card.
4. Took a ferry to London.

She drew Manilla and Taipei, and infected Karachi and Algiers.

Looks like we might end up OK...

Round 2
1. Ferried to London.
2. Treated London.
3. Treated London again (1 cube left now).
4. Drove to Paris.

Drawn cards: Washington and Delhi.

Infections: Cairo!

Outbreak in Cairo, causing chain reactions in Baghdad, Karachi, Algiers, Paris, and Madrid = 8 outbreaks. Game Over.

I'm not sure if we should have played differently or not. Cubes were stacking high in Europe and the Middle East, and we were definitely more likely to get a quick cure for Blue than for Black. I guess my last infection could just as easily have been London, in which case we would have been fine.

We'll get it next time!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jason Clague
New Zealand
Hamilton
Waikato
flag msg tools
badge
I can see my house from here!
mbmbmbmbmb
Anesthetize wrote:

Outbreak in Cairo, causing chain reactions in Baghdad, Karachi, Algiers, Paris, and Madrid = 8 outbreaks. Game Over.

Something's wrong here - an outbreak in Cairo cannot cause an outbreak in Paris or Madrid (blue cities). An outbreak happens when a fourth cube of the same colour would otherwise be added. The situation you describe would leave Madrid and Paris each with 3 blue cubes and one black. Looking at your picture, Algiers would have had 3 black and one blue.

So three fewer outbreaks on the counter, but still a nasty situation, and you may not have got much further anyway.

EDIT: Actually, Paris and Madrid would be fine, as there was no outbreak in Algiers.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Justin L
United States
Lexington
South Carolina
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
superbgg wrote:
Anesthetize wrote:

Something's wrong here - an outbreak in Cairo cannot cause an outbreak in Paris or Madrid (blue cities). An outbreak happens when a fourth cube of the same colour would otherwise be added. The situation you describe would leave Madrid and Paris each with 3 blue cubes and one black. Looking at your picture, Algiers would have had 3 black and one blue.

So three fewer outbreaks on the counter, but still a nasty situation, and you may not have got much further anyway.

EDIT: Actually, Paris and Madrid would be fine, as there was no outbreak in Algiers.

Oh no! You're absolutely right. We totally overlooked this in the rulebook. I don't think it ever came up in the first three games we played, though. I always thought that the 4th cube of any colour caused the outbreak. Doh!

Thanks for pointing this out. But yeah, still a sticky situation, especially with a lot of those black cities still near the top of the pile.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
board game jr
United States
St. Charles
Missouri
flag msg tools
Thanks for sharing.

Anesthetize wrote:
London, Paris, and Cairo all started out with 3 cubes

Anesthetize wrote:
I'm not sure if we should have played differently or not.

This seems like a subtle invitation for someone to give advice, so hopefully not overstepping too much here.

You could have definitely played this "differently". My general strategy to start a game involves coming up with a plan to remove at least one cube from as many of the three cube cities as possible before the first Epidemic occurs.

Given your hand, I would spend Paris for a Direct Flight, remove a cube, move to London, and remove another cube. For your wife's first turn I would have spent Baghdad for a Direct Flight. Remove one cube from what is now a three cube city, then move to Cairo, and remove one cube. The next round would be further cleanup of both of these areas, though your wife may want to consider getting down to Jakarta with one of her red cards as you can move down to the Cairo\Baghdad\Algiers area easily enough next turn. You should have strongly considered building a research station in Paris in addition to cleaning more cubes from that area since Paris is a great city to build in for all its connections plus the fact that it was infected as well as cities around it.

Its good you are thinking about cures, but in the early game its probably a curse to think you have an easy cure because you have three, three cubes cities hanging around. You being a Researcher instead of an Operations Expert may have changed this equation however since you could have transferred two blues and still gotten to Paris and removed a cube. If you draw an Epidemic on your first turn without getting to one of the three cities you will have ten infection cards put back on the top of the deck and four out of those ten will be three cubes cities! These are not odds you want to mess around with, especially when you had so many cities with three cubes that were adjacent to a three (Paris\London) or two cube city (Cairo\Baghdad).

In a two player game you have plenty of time for cures to fall into your hand, especially with a curing role like the Scientist around. Here's some strategy advice I wrote not too long ago in terms of card usage: http://boardgamegeek.com/article/7046588#7046588

Good luck going forward.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jason Weed
United States
Memphis
Tennessee
flag msg tools
how sweet the sound...
badge
Fear The Hat !!!
mbmbmbmbmb
The normal is still no walk in the park, better luck next time.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Justin L
United States
Lexington
South Carolina
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
BoardGameJr wrote:
This seems like a subtle invitation for someone to give advice, so hopefully not overstepping too much here.

Not overstepping in the least! Thanks a lot for the advice. I'll readily admit we're still new to the game, and still learning what works and what doesn't work as well, so any advice/input is certainly appreciated.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.