Popular Tags: [View All]
kSwingrÜber
United States
Ridgefield
Washington
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmb

(my wife's a librarian, and she calls people like me "problem patrons" so I've turned to you, the real sci-fi/fantasy literature geeks experts, for help)

About 4 or 5 years ago I started reading a book, can't remember the title, author, etc. The plot (such as it was) was about a guy (and his kids I think) who moved into a big rambling house in a city, and after a while the realized the house was kinda multi-dimensional, or had extra-dimensional rooms, or some such.

I found the book kinda boring, so gave up about half way through. End of story. Forgotten.

Except: a friend of mine was telling me about a book, House of Leaves, and as he was describing it, I thought that was the book, so I was thinking "Bleah!". But he gave it high praise, and I usually like his reading suggestions, and he even loaned me the book. And it's NOT the book I tried to read a few years ago.

So what the heck was that (boring) book. I now know it wasn't House of Leaves (which I'm enjoying). And no, it wasn't that 1941 Heinlein classic short story "And He Built a Crooked House". And it wasn't Howl's Moving Castle...

Any ideas? Thanks geeks!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ross G.
United States
Indianapolis
Indiana
flag msg tools
Wisdom begins in wonder.
badge
Stale pastry is hollow succor to a man who is bereft of ostrich.
mbmbmbmbmb
Could it be The High House by James Stoddard? I don't remember any kids, though I read it about 15 years ago so I don't remember much at all.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
kSwingrÜber
United States
Ridgefield
Washington
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmb
ZiggyZambo wrote:
Could it be The High House by James Stoddard?

Hmmmm... I just read a quicky synopsis that I found on the web, and I'm pretty sure that's not it. In the book I'm trying to remember, the house was set in current times, in a normal town/city.

But thanks!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Steve K
United Kingdom
flag msg tools
badge
Could it be "The World House" by Guy Adams.

I haven't read it, but your description reminded me of something I'd glanced at on amazon a couple of days ago, and amazon's "your browsing history" helped me find the way back to it.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
kSwingrÜber
United States
Ridgefield
Washington
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmb
SteveK2 wrote:
Could it be "The World House" by Guy Adams.

Hmmmm... I guess it could be, though the description (on Amazon) doesn't ring a bell.

thanks!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
kSwingrÜber
United States
Ridgefield
Washington
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmb
Drew1365 wrote:

Oh! Yeah, I read that, and rather enjoyed it (my wife is a Children's Librarian). But no, that's not the book I'm trying to remember.

thanks!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Todd Warnken
United States
Harrison
Ohio
flag msg tools
I'm not crazy. My mother had me tested.
badge
Happy grandfather!!!
mbmbmbmbmb
I agree with your wife.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
kSwingrÜber
United States
Ridgefield
Washington
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmb
Mundane wrote:
I agree with your wife.

My wife approves of this message! thumbsup
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Michael Edwards
United States
Everett
Washington
flag msg tools
YA R'LYAH
badge
Phnglui mglw nafh Cthulhu R'lyeh wgah nagl fhtagn! With cheeze!
mbmbmbmbmb
Anything on this list sound familiar?

Oh wait, perhaps I meant this list.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Sean Franco
United States
Maplewood
Missouri
flag msg tools
badge
If you could touch the alien sand and hear the cries of strange birds and watch them wheel in another sky, would that satisfy you?
mbmbmbmbmb
If you're still having problems, I've had success with this community in the past when looking for titles of books I read as a kid.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.